Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: custom steering Knuckles and getting max lock

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

did you know that the further you pull your LCA forward for caster the less lock you're going to have.
    without looking at your car I could be certain that this is why you're not getting the lock you were hoping for.

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

also, you mentioned you had to trim the bumper. only time i had my wheels were that far forward on any of my cars i had converted to s13 suspension and used mx cressida lcas which had the castor arm mount holes further towards the outside which meant that once mounted and the castor arm used all the available thread the lca was at such an angle and it had so much castor that i had to cut into the front of the arch and i couldnt use polyurethane lca bushes because the angle was great and thus the bushing was under alot of load.
    this in turn means that if your lca is at an angle like that, your knuckle is either going to straighten out or bump into your LCA sooner, since it is actually now further away and at a greater angle from the rack. on level ground your tire-rods should be coming straight out from the rack not at huge angles.
    take some more pics dude, with the wheel off, looking at it from side on and such so we can see the strut angle and lca angle.

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

another thing are you certain they are 86 powersteering arms or did someone just tell you they are?
    i might be way off here but they look like xt130 arms, the bend in the arm looks pretty steep, if you had straighter arms you know you would have less of a problem obviously.
    i was just looking at the ajps kelway cns arms, there is a pic of them next to powersteering arms and those ps arms look quite different to yours.
    Last edited by keiichi; 19th November 2011 at 03:06 PM.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I was going to say the same thing about the steering arms.. Are they 100% 86?

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

How would I elimate/confirm xt130 or ae86 steering arms? I'm assuming they have the same strut bolt spacing... Are they same overall length?

Rob ran a bucket load of castor and he didn't have this problem running ps arms, extra lock rack ends and xt130 arms! Hmmph!

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Nah. Car when I bought it was stock as a rock. Rack has a sticker on it for
    Fulcrum with "part number: rr78" on it which I'd say is just reco rack then a number to keep track of their current jobs?

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

4K > 5K > Worked 5K > 4AGE > 146RWKW 4AGTE > 210KW SR
    Alex's 4AGTE KE70
    Rest In Peace Old Faithful Corolla-Taken Too Soon 2006-2013...
    Or so was thought...
    Now with a new lease on life will be back bigger and better!

Name
    Drew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

xt130 arms will actually increse your track a little bit over standard 86 arms, look at the hole patern, 3 holes pretty much inline means 86, if one is off set so as to put the strut furter away from the rail and increase the stub axle angle then its xt130

Name
    Todd
    State
    Auckland
    Country
    New Zealand

thats as much lock as your gonna get with your setup, if you want more you will have to goto steering arms with less ackermann angle, also from those pics it looks like the last 1/4 of your turning is in the dead zone ie tie-rod angles have over-extended and at some point you will try to correct at big lock and you will not be able to turn the steering wheel cause you have no mechanical advance on the steering arms....

i struggle to see why you want more when you say your tyre is 5mm away from hitting the chassis rail???

BUT you should move the rack forward if you want to pull the tie-rods so far they hit the lower arm
    the pursuit of angle

Custom cut+shut knuckles made to order, in new zealand

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I dont neccesarily want more lock...

Just trying to understand how poeple fit additional off-the-shelf-parts that increase steering lock (lock spacers and extra lock rack ends), without doing serious mods to other componentry (moving rack forward, cutting a massive chunk out of lca, TUBBING etc is RIDICULOUS) EDIT: even the other arms that give MORE lock etc.... is tubbing / MASSIVE spacing needed?

I see heaps of 86 threads where people list these parts... are they just not utilising the parts at all?

The too much castor arguement is stupid. The 185/60 on effectively 14 x 7 [0] is as mentioned less than 5mm from hitting the rail. What I'm saying is, i have TOO much lock for just power steering arms yes? If i wound the castor back, i would be rubbing the shit out of my rail... do other people that don't run as much castor have this issue?

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast