Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Pauls 4AGTE Sprinter

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well my other turbo was exactly the same???

Why would you drill a hole right through the front cover?? Looking back at the photos from when I engineered your car it was exactly the same configuration that it is on mine now and like I said the other cover is exactly the same and I know that I didn't drill that.

Just to be clear I am not talking about the extra holes at the back.

Name
    Bryan
    State
    Waterford
    Country
    Ireland

My t25g from a redtop sr20 is the same. The acuator mounts to those 2 holes.

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah i know what is supposed to go on there just letting people know that the hole goes right through and you should put a bolt in there to seal it up.

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

So got the replacement borgy diff today. Good setup for the price that I paid but I would be pretty unhappy if I was paying full price. The welds where they have shortened the housing look pretty rough but it should be functional.

So it was out of a Corona with a was supposed to be running a T-series, 98% at the same but some of the celica's and corona's apparently had wider spacing on the top mounts. The end result is that I have to move the top mounts in 10mm either side. Just need to work out how I want to do the jig to keep everything lined up where I want it as even a couple of degrees difference in the pinion angle can have a big difference in how you get the power down.

The other hickup is that it is still running the original spring perches which are too small for the AE86 springs which is not a drama but i will have to chop them across from the other diff.

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Lucky you are an engineer then mate

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Righto, so all the mounts have been done and the spring perches swapped over and set at the correct spacing. Will fit it up tomorrow and get a look at how it is all sitting and go from there. I am hoping that the bell housing for the W57 turns up soon or I am going to run out of holidays to get it all up and running.

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ok so the diff is in but the shocks are hitting the rear calipers. I have to grab a set of R31 calipers from Maxhag to see if they have any additional clearance. If not I will have to rotate the caliper which is not as easy as it sounds because the backing plate that they mount to only goes on one way so I will have to pull the axle and look at drilling a second set of holes or something.

On another note the W57 box that I bought came with the forward most shifter option. After talking to shortround (Andrew) over Christmas about his I realised that I should probably do something about mine. Andrew had bought one of the hard to get ones that put it right in the center of the transmission tunnel hole. But lucky for me the old one from his box was longer again so I thought that I would have a go and modifying it to get it where I needed it.

First thing was to measure Andrew's new one. The bottom line was that is was 36mm shorter that his old one or around 1.5" in the old language which is about right if you look at the other information on the net.

To get it 36mm shorted the first thing I did was to mark out on the selector part. That was trimmed and welded back together, the material is cast but it is low carbon so it will weld up ok with normal welding procedures, if you are really worried you can wrap it after you have finished to allow it to cool slowly.

The next bit was to try and work out how to cut the housing to so that it would move the correct amount. The important thing is that you have to make the cut parallell to the upper surface so that when you rotate the piece 180 degrees that it sits at the right angle.

When working out where to cut you need the long side to be 32mm longer than the short side which works out as being roughly 40mm from the forward edge of the shifter.

Then when you have made your cuts you pick it up and rotate it 180 degrees and plonk it back down.

If you have done it right it should be in the same position as the proper one. It is getting TIG welded at the moment as my MIG doesn't like alloy welding so I will pop up some photos when I get it back and let you know how it all goes. If it doesn't work I will have my old one

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

All welded and ready to go.

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yep the new guy that i have found to do the odd jobs is really good. has done heaps of custom stuff as well so really it just becomes a case of what you are willing to pay.

Cheers
    Paul

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast