Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: power to coil but no spark

Bad Email Address

Default power to coil but no spark

hey guys i recently bought a ke70 with a bigport 4age, was running for a week and now it turns over but wont start.....

ive read through heaps of previous tech questions on here, downloaded a 4age diagnostic manual followed all the shit it said will everything testing up ok, checked every single fuse in the whole car etc, changed the dizzy as i have a spare with no luck, tryed a coil and igniter out of my mates car with the same engine no luck again, checked all the little wires in the connectors to dizzy and coil, must have spent the last 3 days looking at all the wiring and shit and it still wont start, didnt expect much but called the raa with not much help lol.

has anyone on here with wiring knowledge had any experience with this sort of problem?? is there something im missing somewhere?

any help will be greatly appreciated

heres a pic of the coil / dizzy area (the wiring is pretty messy which is what makes me think its a wiring problem) and the ecu

cheers mark

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

is the ignitor earthed properly? I didn't realise that it is actually earthed through the case and my car would just turn over for ever cos it was hanging loose. bolted it on properly and it went sweet!
    Launceston = Home of the surprise sodomist!!

Bad Email Address

yer well that what i checked first even sanded back heaps of paint and shit just to make sure but yer no luck

Name
    Clinton
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Run a wire from the +ive side of the batery to the +ive side on the coil. Does this start the car?

FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmate View Post
    I love how all the SA boys get on board
    Quote Originally Posted by Konakid View Post
    im driving out there with new hydro setup
    Quote Originally Posted by myke90 View Post
    haha i have the exact same picture from when i got my sportmaxx lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    whats with the drift rings? i know they are just a novelty but do they represent or signify anything?

Bad Email Address

i tested with a multimeter there is 12v at the coil when on acc and when cranking engine so yer

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

points? or a fecked lead from the coil to the dizzy!!

Bad Email Address

held a screw driver to the coil while cranking no spark lol

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

okay
    well i can think of another solution, but it involves petrol and matches hahah

Well the other thing is im pretty sure the ignitor requires a signal from the ecu. maybe the ecu is fried. or you have been unlucky enough to try swapping a stuffed ignitor or coil with another stuffed one.

Oh and another thing, is the battery okay? good solid 12V across the terminals or is the motor turning over easily? I figure you would have checked that but hey its worth making sure.

EDIT: Oh I just remembered I had these wiring diagrams from when i put in my motor. They are from an american ae92 i think but the idea is similar. So there is two signals from ecu to ignitor which Im sure you should get a voltage through from the ecu. You could check the resistance of the the wires to make sure nothing has been severed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADM_AE92_100kW_4AGE_ECU_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	7471  
    Last edited by Cerby86; 22nd November 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Bad Email Address

yer i even have a spare jap ecu the car wont idle with it but it does start with it lol tryed that aswell with no luck, i rekon u could be on the right track with the signal wire for the igniter and yer the one i tryed in there is from my mates 86 and thats running lol and yer charged up the battery and its kicking over really well

this is just doing my head in atm couldnt think of anything more frustrating haha

cheers for the comments
    Last edited by markKE70; 22nd November 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

are you sure that there is no spark at the spark plug? you have tested this?

you said you held a screwdriver to the coil, do you mean you put the screwdriver in the coil lead? was the screwdriver near an earth also, as this is how you will see if it has spark.

the ecu has been moved since i did the wiring on this car, so i would check to see that there is no damaged wiring or open circuits there.

the wiring isnt messy, have a look at half the ghetto cars getting round here then check yours. its fine.

cerby, its electronic ignition, it doesn't have points.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast