Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 7age basic build

it is ae92. corolla GTi. FWD. i don't know the HP yet, because I plan to install piggyback and got to dyno in the near future (no money right now).
    can not say which car but, with 4ag16, i lost by 4 car bodies. but with 7ag16, i kept up and often win. with full interior minus spare tyre.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the ones im talking about use to bolts (studs really).

IM confused i wont clame to be a mottor know all but this is something i am really struggeling to understand invision. pleas explain sorry if this sounds retarded

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

there is a general misconception that the standard 7afe rods are not up to the task for a mild 7age set up.

the 7afe rods differ from a 4age rod, in that they use a a rod stud, rather than a bolt.
    the rod is threaded, and has a stud screwing in which has thread on both ends. the rod cap goes over these, and then is fixed with nuts.

a 4age rod has a bolt, that drops in from the back. so the load is carried by the end of the bolt, where as in a 7a, its threads.

if over revved, these threads can strip out, thats all. the rods themselves i have never heard of failing. ive heard of ae111 4age (black top) rods failing. but only when revved over 9000 rpm often.
    the 7a rods are said to be a similar thickness to a ae111 rod. in other ways, they might be inferior though.

having said that, for them to fail (the 7a rods), we're talking over 8000 rpm. seeing as most people here dont even own 4ages that make any power even past about 7000. it isnt really an issue.

the reason i say this is.

-greg. ipra 7a20 ke35 coupe. many seasons on stock rods, claims to rev to 9000.
    -gregs old ae71, owned by felix. stock rods again. lasted greg till he was bored of it, now felixs you would assume thrashes it. years we are talking. no failure.
    -posted a thread on toymods, asking for people with direct experience. some rally black said he had managed to strip the stud out of the rod. how? over revving on mis shifts. on the same corner. revved to/past 9000. 2 or 3 times (same corner) search for thread by user name Dimitri, title "7afe's tell me everything you know"

also one other user here, who is currently parting his car. didnt run his engine for that long i guess, but hes done it. i think he replied in this thread already.

most people, even for an na build on here. dont go past 272/288 size cams with close to stock lift. these cams, with stock valves (size) still dont even breath that well past 8000 prm.

with a 7a, also, there is no reason to. you will make more power, and more torque, at lower revs, than an equivalent 4age (same cams/intake ect). you will also get more CR. as sam has explained in the 7a thread on the old board.

basically the theory is, you have a comparitively smaller combustion chamber for the cubic capcity 7a>4a... youre squeezing more air, into the same size area. so end up with a higher cr.
    Last edited by slydar; 18th February 2009 at 01:06 PM.

I see so this wont affect the build itself in any way ?? unless you drive like ueo

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

exactly what i explained to you the other day buckley haha

but yeah, as slydarglydar said

sorry i thought there was talk of bolts being to longor something of that nature

Name
    Nigel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

So with original used rod bolts/studs/nuts used these things are reliable at sane revs?

Hmmm, now what to do...

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Much difference with running a big port head over the small port?

</4age noob>

Thanks,
    marvis.

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

smallport head is (claimed) to be better .. at this stage though, i don't think you'll see any difference

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast