Just here for the scene... ArbPotatoes's Avatar
    Name
    Jordan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default Hpi e10

Hey, I'm looking at getting into RC drift when my car's done. I'm looking for a car for good cheap fun that's upgradable for if I get into it more. Anyone got an opinion on the E10? Any other cars that fit the description?

Gunner

Not into this ep drifting, but as long as you stick to HPI, or tamiya you should be pretty well right.

I personally would go with HPI, as their parts seem to be every where, either way go to your local hobby store, and see what parts they stock and go from there.

Name
    Jordan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Cheers. Will do.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

upgrading a really basic chassis isnt really a good idea. get a cheap kit/rtr combo if you think you might not end up getting into it. if you do you can use your cheap radio/esc etc with a better chassis later.

in which case either an e10 or a tt will do.

that being said, although it may be the case of nitro/off road, for ep 1/10th tourers, tamiya/tt01 is by far the most well supported brand/chassis. and definitely way way more upgradeable.
    78's

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

e.g

tt01
    78's

Gunner

Unfortunately Slydar, since getting into this industry, I have found Tamiya is really coming up short locally, which sucks, as I was bought up on tamiya.

I think you are quite lucky living in the same state as oz-rc, as he has everything, for every car just about.

But most hobby shops, will carry very little in the way of tamiya, an in alot of cases has been replaced with HPI.

Shopping for parts on the net is a different story though, as tamiya is everywhere in the states. But the problem with buying from the interwebs, is you have no support, so say for example Arb, has binding issues, in a diff, and can't figure it out, the interwebs isn't going to examine the car, and say mate you need to buy this, and do this and that, where a local hobby store can, and if you run what your LHS stocks, you have a fair chance of having it sorted the same day, instead of waiting upto a month for a $5 part, if you get where I am coming from.

Name
    Jordan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Plus shipping can be a killer. My local place is Hobby Habit. Not exactly sure what they stock in the way of drift though. My brother has a Traxxas Slash that he bought there, if he has something he can't fix he'll take it there and they'll have it done within the day.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah gunner, but seems youre more of an off road and nitro guy.

for an on road ep tourer. a tt01 is a pretty fucking easy car to get parts for. i would say the easiest. like even toyworlds that support rc stuff all have tt01 spare. i would go as far as to say its the easiest rc car to maintain, period.

not that you ever need spares for a tt01. the cars are basically indestructible.

ive had one. and i never broke anything. and i ran it at the skate park and jumped it and shit. my house mate now owns it and he's bordering on "hopeless" as far as steering, running into things at full tilt. and nothing has ever broken on it.

E10 is basically HPI's equivalent of tamiyas TT. a very cheap entry level rc car. but still a legitimate hobby level car, not a toy. ive had a little look over an e10 and it seems OK compared to a stock TT. but they dont seemed to be very well liked by drifters in general.

old mate also asked about upgrading, and whilst on a $/performance ratio, youre better of just upgrading to a whole new chassis. if you do wanna just hop up a car for the fun of it, NOTHING beats a TT01. you can get parts from everyone, from everywhere, for cheap. including FRP chassis kits for as little as $80 usd +post. E10 has nothing like that support.

for an entry level car, TT is the way to go. thats why everyone sells them, and so many people run them.

for 1/10th tourers. tamiya isnt a bad brand. the tamiya importer in australia is average, but they still do an ok job of supplying their core market.
    Last edited by slydar; 1st December 2009 at 03:05 PM.
    78's

Gunner

Slydar I'm not saying your wrong dude, I just think it is right to go with what you can get at your LHS, as a beginner.

I started in tamiya, I know they are good, thats why I am restoring my tg10, I have 6 of them, in various conditions, all to build 1 car.

But I still suggest, going with what your LHS stocks. As a beginner.

For you and I, buying parts from overseas, and over the internet, is fine, and usually cheaper, but as a beginner, it can make the whole experience worse. I know from my own experience, from shopping overseas, that it can be a pain in the ass, waiting 2 months to get your car going, then to find out it doesn't fit, or they sent the wrong part.

We know what we need to run our cars, what will wear,what should be kept spare, beginners don't.

So if they can go into a good store, and have help, it will make the hobby far more enjoyable, and they may choose to stay in the hobby instead of giving up, while waiting for parts to come from overseas, and usually with out any after sales service.
    Last edited by Gunner; 1st December 2009 at 07:48 PM.

Banned

i bought a hpi e10 for under $300
    But now ive spend almost $2000 in upgrades
    i now have
    5 sets of wheels with tyres,
    3x5000mpa batteries
    Locked diffs
    Anodised aluminum strut bars front n rear
    anodised aluminum drive shaft
    bearing set
    fully adjustable shocks and springs
    20 tooth pinion