Thread: Got RICE ??

Senior Member Chairs with flares's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

From what I remember; Bosozoku is the japanese translation of speed/violence (boso) and gang/tribe (zoku). Bosozoku started in the postwar era of the 50's and were almost exclusively motorcycle gangs.

They were kind of like 'punks' in the UK from the same time being rebelious youth. The just was being loud and fast and generally scaring/annoying everyone else.

Bosozoku often spent time doing 'shinai boso', which were like cruises with a specified leader who was not to be overtaken being followed, sometimes weaving through traffic at high speed or at walking pace holding up traffic with huge noise waving imperial flags and generally starting fights.

Since the motorcycle scene in Japan was still developing at the time, they took styling cues from US style 'bobbers' and UK style 'cafe racers' (another whole history lesson there), essentially starting with a surplus bike from the military and making it individual rather than starting with something special.

Don't really know how that applies to cars, but...

As far as I know, Yankee (what I've heard it called and what I'll keep referring to it as here) style is a parody/satire on the race cars of the time, poking fun by taking functional race modifications and going over the top. This can be seen by excessive camber, feet long front splitters and mega tall wings and side/tall exhausts; which were all present in the race cars of the era, only in moderation.

People are prolly gonna hate me for saying it, but IMO it's the same as what people do with base Lancers now (copying Evolution models) with big oversized wheels, over-the-top body kits and loud exhausts. It's just played out a lot more since it can all be done off the shelf with premade kits with the only creativity on the owners' part being which kit to purchase and who to do the fitting/painting. Back when the Yankee cars were still relatively modern, there would have been much more custom work than ticking a catalog, and there would have been a search for parts that fit mounting points firstly, THEN choosing a look or even fabbing something from scratch. That's what makes old gaudy cars cooler than all the new gaudy cars, that there was so much more though and effort involed in their creation.

It's rumoured that RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements, which by definition make all the Yankee styled cars RICE; as well as most of the 'Bosozoku' styled ones. I"m saying this since most modifications would be cosmetic, such as excessive negative camber and huge wings/splitters without regard or reseach into laminar and turbulant airflow over a car's body.

But I'll also admit my car is riced up. There's stuff there that's purely for looks; my front lip is garden edging (so hate on me...) and even if it wasn't it wouldn't help with aero without a flat undertray anyway.

That's my opinion, I don't mind rice. As long as people are enjoying their car, I have no beef. If the opportunity presented, I would rock a kitted Hyundai Excel on 18's in a hearbeat... Mind you, I'd still be bustin through the hills kicking ass and pre-apexing corners for the sake of speed and not angle... At least it would still have more power than a PRIUS...

;-)
    Last edited by Chairs with flares; 18th January 2009 at 07:13 PM.
    J.

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

^ Good post.

Stolen from

There are a variety of phrases used around the internet in relation to Japanese cars, it is perhaps worth an explanation of what some of them are and where they came from in order to understand them better.

The first is the most commonly used expression of Bosozoku, more correctly written as Bōsōzoku. It's literal translation is 'violent running tribe'. The term zoku at the end of the word denotes that it is a group or tribe, so you will also see phrases like vanningzoku and the like, which identifies something as being a group.

The Bosozoku have been around since the 50s and are traditionally a very anti social motorbike gang. They ride unmuffled bikes, with radically visible modifications, usually in a reckless way around city streets in large groups which usually have a uniform. The cars came along later but have been around since at least the 70's, they are similarly loud, very visible and anti social. The style of bosozoku cars varies wildly but they will usually have bright paint, radical body kits and preposterous exhausts.

The bosozoku style gets blurred into Garuchan or Grachan. Another word that can have zoku attached to the end, as in Grachanzoku. The word comes from the 1980's Grand Championship at Fuji Speedway, the car park was a Mecca for bosozoku. Here it became popular to have the more and more outrageous car styling inspired by the cars on the track. Some people will say they are grachan instead of bosozoku as they wish to avoid the gang associations and image of reckless driving.

Another term that has popped up on the internet from time to time is Kyusha-kai. This simply translates as Japanese classic car (Kyusha) group (kai), which is just the normal term for old car lovers in Japan.

Finally we come to Shakotan, which has gained a fair amount of usage outside of Japan due in part to Shakotan Boogie. This is a common term actually in use in Japan, Shako means ground clearance and Tan means short, so Shakotan cars are short ground clearance cars. Shakotan cars are more usually hard slammed with cut coils rather than being able to just buy off the shelf parts. The styles are much more restrained than those of bosozoku and grachan styles.

So there you have it, a brief over view of the culture. There is much deeper you can go, however you should hopefully be able to identify what you are looking at now a bit better. I have to thank Ishibashi-san from Funinki Kyusha-kai and Kusa-san for the full explinations as well as Tetsu from Sunny Speed Style for first explaining the different styles.
    Last edited by marvis; 18th January 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Senior Member Chairs with flares's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I forgot to add that tire stretch (no matter how you feel on it) is not just popular amongst the Japanese car crowd. The law in Germany states that you can run any wheel (within reason) as long as the tread of the tires are covered by the fender when viewed from above. This lead to guys running wide wheels with lower than factory offset, and keeping it legal by running narrower tires to keep them under the fender. I think there may be a limit to legal stretching of tires there, but they also have VERY strict vehicle inspection standards. On the other hand, their stardards; while strict; als make more sense, such as wheel spacers being legal (as long as you only use one per wheel; like CAMS) and they are engineer approved, such as H&R ones when used with the H&R supplied hardware such as studs and lugbolts.

Oh, and the fender mounted mirrors everyone loves originated from a (now gone) legal requirement for all external mirrors to be visable through the swept part of the windshield from the driver's seat.

In the end, there's probably people in Japan that hates the whole 'outrageous-looking' (Bosozoku/Yankee/whatever you want to call it) for taking the national culture and overdoing it, like many Aussies who hate the big-V8-Ute-covered-in-stickers-and-spotlights.
    Last edited by Chairs with flares; 18th January 2009 at 08:46 PM.
    J.

Name
    Brodie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hate cunts calling bosozoku and shakotan cars rice!!!

<3bosozoku

Banned

low with negative offset and fitment is dope but gigantic snow plow looking front bumpers is not.

Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Wrong answer.

Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<3 you marvis
    Right on the money

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

carousel-zoku? (wangan, middo-naitto driving)

my bad its roulette-zoku...
    Last edited by GAKI86; 20th January 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Banned

fully hecktik.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast