Thread: for the haters -ft86 panda

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Talking

it was never going to look alike toyota designed the AE86, toyota and subaru designed the new one, never going to look the same, the engine isnt even a toyota re badged suby

Name
    Jesse
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Let's just imagine that Toyota continued designing new RWD 'AE86' every few years instead of stopping continued production back in 87. Would the current design resemble the mid 80s design? I would say not. Other than being a small sized RWD 'sports' car, not much would be similar.
    Take the FWD Corollas for instance... does a mid 80s corolla (AE82) resemble the current model Corollas? No.

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

chair with flares ... my thoughts exactly . you just put it in a better way . damn my Asian heritage and lack of Engrish . .
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Name
    Jamie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    AUS

I must say, the new AE86 looks bloody mean and tuff as!

The front just looks so aggressive.

I wouldn't mind owning one.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

+++++++1
    dose

Banned

im sittin on the fence on this one there are both good points about how the car "evolved" on how it would look today.
    But i still find it hard to see any simliarities besides panda paint job

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think right now car designs are kind of re-doing 60's/70's style. That era is the car fashion at the moment but the 80's boxyness still isn't mainstream cool. I don't think they could've taken much at all from the old 86 and still had something that looked current & decent.
    I think the back and wheels arches looks pretty 70's and it has watanabes in that pic.
    Maybe in 10 years the 80's look will be cool and they can really re-do it like the original.
    That's how I see it anyway.

I like the concept and hope it turns out looking something like that. If it's a light rwd that handles nicely I'll be a fan. For me that's the 86 legacy.

Senior Member Chairs with flares's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

The 60's/70's were when the baby boomer generation developed enough financial independence to be able to afford cars, and that buying power combined with lax regulations meant manufacturers were more than happy to provide custom options at a premium, knowing that there were buyers (look up Chevrolet C.O.P.O options).

Now the baby boomer generation are nearing retirement and are again ready to splurge on toys. This newfound buying power of a generation has developed a market for retro styled machines from the 60's/70's as they look to recapture their youth. This also (somewhat) applies to the MINI and New Beetle, as well as (although a sales failure) the PT Cruiser.

In tough economic times, it's also financially wise to rely on a few solid products rather than many experimental ones. The 60's/70's was an automotive golden era, after a full recovery from WW2 and was the peak of automotive developement right before the oil crisis of the 70's. These retro machines are a hark back to the old days; the golden years of the marques and their peaks on technological breakthroughs.

Many other manufacturers that did not choose to develop a retro model gave famous old nameplates to their new models, like Pontiac did with the Monaro based GTO.

I personally won't be holding my breath for a mid 80's revival as there was no particularly strong trend or any precipitating events for many manufacturers to follow a common theme in developement. The late 80's/early 90's will be held in high regard as the years of huge technological advance in car technology. This never seen before technological leap which can be attributed to the economic boom at the time spurred the developement of the last (IMO) real drivers' supercars such as the Ferrari F40/50, McLaren F1 and Porsche 959; with Japan also bringing their A-game with the R32 Skyline GTR, Honda NSX and Mk4 Toyota Supra.

So what does this lead to in the future? IMO, the recent re-emergence of the hot hatch as a result of the heightened awareness of global warming will be seen as the survival of the sports cars through the current tough times. You have to admit; the last 5 years have been a pretty boring automotive era (with the exception of the Veyron) as manufacturers cut product lines and focus more on core values. Survival was the main goal, often at the expense of heritage, such as Porsche with the Cayenne and Panamera and BMW with the 1-Series.

I predict the next 5 years will also go down in history as the re-emergence of the car as a luxury toy after the just-passed economic downturn as manufacturers are willing to take on more risk again (much like the 60's/70's), with examples being the japanese marques being game enough to develop a whole new sports car after the drought of the early 2000's (Nissan GTR, Lexus LFA, whatever Honda does to match).

But that's just me...

More oddball retro;

1953 C1 Corvette

1997 C5 'Retro' Corvette (Rebody)

1955 Ford Thunderbird

2003 'Retro' Thunderbird (Stock)
    Last edited by Chairs with flares; 8th December 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    J.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

^^^ wow they are ugly

and it doesnt look like it will perform any better then the original builds..
    dose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2