Thread: Supercharged 20v anyone?

Name
    Nas
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Question Supercharged 20v anyone?

hey ppls...after chucking a 4ac into my sprinter so i can get around i was torn between what engine to go for...

THEN... i drove a mates 16v SC14 supercharged ae86 and lost my fucken mind...the thing was off its tits and i've decided to go the 4age supercharged route...

theres a "but' though...at first i was gonna search for a nice 4agze and then chuck on a sc14 but (theres the 'but')...i have a ST 20v sitting in the garage, all ecu wiring already done in the car for that engine and... (you can see where this is going)

the question is: can i put the sc14 on the 20v and if so can i still keep the vvti fucntionality...and can i do it without changing any internals provided i don't run too much boost?

any info would be great...if this is possible i reckon it would go like the clappers and sound fucken mad!

cheers guys

Name
    Nas
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

bump!
    really wanna know if this is possible (as i know ppl have turbo'd 20v's heaps of times) but really wanna go supercharger way...

what happens to vvti?
    and will my engine hold (sort of)?

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I don't have any personal experience with this, however in theory it should be possible... obviously you would need aftermarket management, but the difficult part would be rigging a way to ensure you never spiked boost over say about 7 pound (relatively easy with a wastegate on a turbocharged motor). The other issue with chargers is that you may well overspin the compressor as it wasn't designed to mix with engines doing 9000RPM... but then again overdrive pulleys would do similar things (but increase the boost output, which you will need to regulate)

And come to think of it, your quads may lead you to troubles as well, Gilly found out the hard way that messing around with the position of the throttle body on his GZE was more effort than it was worth, you may hit similar problems in your case too...

Finally expect the need to make a reasonable amount of gear yourself as I know of noone that has done it, and as its a bit odd it will be custom all the way

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Nas
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

yes it will need quite a few things custom along the way but i think it would be sick to do it...after driving a 4agze with an sc14 i'm addicted and seeing as i have the 20v here...i shall do all research i can and speak to as many ppl i can to get the ball rolling.
    the wiring i have in the car for the 20v is for an aftermarket ecu but i just don't have the ecu so thats sorted (once i get an ecu to run it too ...)

anyone other guru's out there with an opinion on this or some insight on how to go about it would be awesome

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

there was a members ride thread on the old forum of a fella in nz who had a sc 20v.... also with vmount intercooler set up etc etc. The problem of the throttle body might not be so bad on a quad. As i understand it the problem is a build up of pressure on the throttle plate when shut.... this would be greatly reduced by the amount of surface area the throttles cover on a 20v???

talk to old mate with the sc14, there is a bit of work on the bigger guys to get em working i think. Boost control should be fine with a blowoff valve plumped right, but they usueally make some wierd arse noises lol.

ill hunt around for info on the nz conversion...
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Nas
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

thanks a lot dude, you're a legend...let me know either by posting here or pm me where i can find it...really appreciate it

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

itll work.

you have to get a blow off valve seeing the supercharger will be before the throttle bodies.

i would also suggest running gze pistons. this way it wont get screwed from running too high compression. it will work with the standard 20v pistons but how how long...

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

if boost is wat your after have you thought about a turbo 20v setup ?

i know a 20v supercharger is different and would be awesome . but for pure simplicity a turbo setup would be easier .

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

there is one in here:

ask Mr kevlar what went wrong with his as I would like to know also
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

It shouldn't run too much boost if you use the standard crank pulley. just put the 20v in and see how it is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast