Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Toyota dumps TRD

Name
    Damien
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

You know why they won't make these cars we all want? Cos that doesn't cater to the high concumption demographic.

Really, how many of you (and other younger people) interested in light, rwd sporty cars could afford to go to the dealer and buy a brand new car for 25,000+?

And to be honest, I probably wouldn't get one, I'd rather spend my 25,000 on my AE86, it's a lot of money but it would still have better resale then a brand new car.

That and I fucking hate new car smell.

Name
    Kev
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Sorry KE35Punk but Holden dont make a good performance car. Nice motor boats yes. Currently the entire Ford range shits all over holden. If you still wanted a solid performance car then wrx's, evo's, silvias and skylines are still the safest bet.

What toyota lacks are the fleet sales they used to have back before hyundai, kia and so forth. Corollas and camrys have been replaced with cheaper and just as reliable hyundais and nissan tiidas. Not only that the resale value on toyotas the have come from fleet although still good is disheartening as for the same price as a second hand exfleet car you can get something new from someone else. Working in a automotive group which has ties to other car manufacterers you can see these trends.

2009-10 australia will have 2 chinese made car brands hoping to win the australian market. They boast a very cheap utility, a fwd family sedan and small car. Toyota no matter what it does can effectively compete with the current trend for cheaper cars. So crying for a rwd car is not going to solve anything.
    As for saying toyota arent catering to the younger demograhpic. Most of those people who have new cars are those who have had them bought by their parents so they are very unlikely of having a say in car choice. Heck i'm still in that demographic (just) and I would rather have a NSX over a rwd aurion

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

TRD australias development and ideas was a bit of a joke really... Did they really think people wanted a "trd hilux"? Did they really think they'd battle holden and ford with a fwd camry?

eh.

Name
    Jordan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I can and would. but until there is something light, sporty, RWD and relatively cheap (<$30,000) in a hard top I'll hang on to my cash and spend it elsewhere.

It's been a long time in between drinks for us Toyota fans. I keep getting tempted to buy a 2003/4 model Caldina GT-T. But I'm not going to spend that sort of cash on a car that doesn't have a warranty.

Come on Toyota. Hell just fire up the AW11 mold and chuck in a new motor I'd buy one. What was the design brief? From memory it was "Cheap and cheerful."

Cheers
    Jordan

Name
    Jay
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

you can hope and dream all you want but the cardigan is on tight and toyota arent going to take it off anytime soon

Name
    Aaron
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default missed my point

I think you missed my point with the holden theory. I hate holdens they are shit boxes... I thought you might have picked that up in the later half of my post..

I think holden use the HSV thing to sell average cars. thats how Subaru started making money.. they made the WRX and plugged it hard. It was perfect for its time and people started buying normal impreza's. HSV make holden "look good" (Disclaimer: term used extremely loose). V8 supercars sell the australian cars because people think when they buy a ford or holden they are buying a standard form of V8 supercar.. you and i both know the only parts they share are the panels. do you get my point.

I do think the TRD hilux was a good idea, it was the best of its type in its class. the TRD Aurion.. mmm well its competing with RWD "V8 supercars" and really should have made a AWD version if it was going to compete.. Like the 380 and the magna sports. people just didnt buy them because they arent in the same class. I mean people dont feel comfortable with cars that torque steer and dont feel right when trying to drive their FWD the same around corners as their RWD.

I do fully agree with the fleet deal. Although most government agencies use toyota that want happen for long.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I agree - bogans buy commodore SV6s because they're sort of the same car as a GTS. They buy commodores because they're in the v8 supercars.

TRD hilux is only about a tenth of a second quicker in some acceleration times than the n/a stock navara, but it was actually beaten in a some of the rolling acceleration tests by the navara as well.
    It has street rims and tyres and a poxy bodykit that reduces it's departure and approach angles so it's actually probably worse offroad than the normal hilux.

It also absolutely guzzles fuel and costs a LOT.

Why didn't Toyota do a tough truck turbo diesel from their 3.0d? It's a great motor stock - all it needs is some more boost, some more ecu mapping, a better exhaust, slightly heavier duty suspension, dual tanks, some wider 4x4 rims and some good tyres stock and it would be an incredibly hot seller.

Real 4x4ers don't want petrols, they want diesels.

Name
    Kev
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Sorry KE35 ambiguity of text so i didnt pick it up. But I do agree the trd hilix was a good idea. The concept of revamping the hilux has been overlooked for many years now. But alas it seems toyota is a trend too late. heck its taken toyota 2 years to fight with toyota international to get dual airbags fitted into landcruisers for mining sites. in the mean time losing out to the Nissan Patrols over here in WA.

I guess its because Autralian toyota market share is so small in comparison to global market that we wont see Scions or FJcruisers or Tundras. All very nice and reasonably priced... in America.

Name
    Aaron
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

silly toyota.. I didnt like the new hilux when it came out.. I still wouldnt get one.. they are too (gulp) American.

Im a 4wder and I dont like diesel. but thats because diesel is the shit thats left over when they finish refining all the good stuff.. the sludge the comes out of crude oil.. Add a few anti knock agents to it and add balls load of compression and presto slight combustion. torque comes from having hi cylinder pressures (compression) but its inefficiency is noted by the fact that you cant make them rev very well..

but yeah you are right.. supercharged hilux = me like to drink. not good for long trips off road or going on the beach.

Im really liking Subaru lately.

Name
    Damien
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

No, diesels cannot rev high due to their incredibally high cylinder pressure, Which in turn creates vast amounts of combustive force on the top of the piston, thus putting large amounts of force on the connecting rod and (in a 4cyl) 4 times the affect of this high cylinder pressure on the crank shaft.

Ever seen inside a diesel engine? That's why they don't rev high. Parts are too heavy, but they have to be or they would break
    It is far more efficient then petrol. The combustion in a diesel engine is far more complete then petrol.

That is one of the silliest things I've ever read on a forum.
    Last edited by lo_rolla; 29th December 2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: More info

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast