Thread: Tom's 4agze developement

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Default Tom's 4agze developement

After having a 4agze in my gold 86 previously and not driving one for about a year, I was kinda home sick. My old 4agze never was the most fantastic setup wise, only good things were it was rebuilt and ran a larger crank pulley. However there were many fail bits to it:

AE92 bigport gze with ported head and intake components
    Crappy cooler piping
    Relatively large intercooler
    Half the engine loom bits were missing such as injector resistor pack and a lot of vsv's
    Ran an ae101 ecu/loom on the old low comp engine
    Pretty average water setup

All this stuff put together and it ran O.K. but nothing really exciting. It chewed through fuel and had the ae101 knock sensor issue most of the time. It made boost, but very slow build up and slow enough you could not really feel the kick (too much space for the little sc12 to fill).

After helping out TTZ32's 4agze swap which was from an ae92 map half cut, we kept most of the factory setup and it ran a billion times better than mine and felt like it made more power as well. It was very responsive and worked flawlessly smooth, and really kinda made me disappointed in mine. Seeing more and more setup kept as factory as possible continued to work the best.

So I was determined to try again but this time on my white 86, keeping it more so as a daily setup. This time sourcing a complete AE92 map sensor 4agze with everything attached still, in its pure fwd form I was also going to try and document the build so that it’s also a semi step by step guide to a gze swap.

First thing to do was to pull everything off and start converting the water system. The rear head plate is quite bulky on 4agze's and in some cases can hit the firewall. I therefore got a rwd 4age rear head plate, although there are some slight issues with fitment you have to deal with.

As you can see you gain a cold start line using the rwd 4age head plate, although if you are running a late model engine like in my case you will have a clearance issue with the oil drain/breather at the rear of the smallport head. Removing the hose shows that you could get it to work without cutting any pipes.

So in order for it to work I turned the breather hose upside down and rotated it a little so it would not stick out as much, and with some minor effort it all fitted together snuggly (using the foam shield on the breather to protect both hoses).

Next was to move onto the side water pipes. In fwd's they are too long and will cause problems when fitting hoses as they will hit the firewall and or steering column. The untouched pipes:

It's obvious these were going to get shortened, but because I intended on keeping cold start working I had to make it all fit together neatly without getting in the way of the charger or the steering column. Sure you can cut the cold start lines out if you don't care about it, but I like to not have to wait for it to warm up a little before my journey

That installment coming soon...
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

haha, quit kiddin around I reckon your car would have killed mine! lol

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hah yeah well for yours being stock it was impressive.

Will post up part 2 shortly

Name
    Ash
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

MOAR!

i want a blow by blow guide so i can copy it later in the year when i plan to do mine
    GhettoGarage.org

Quote Originally Posted by mild seven View Post
    i cant stand "JDM faggots" (people outside of japan who are MORE JDM than people in japan)

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

The first setup for modifying the water setup is to plan how it’s all going to work. Fwd’s come with a remote thermostat housing so it is required when converting to a rwd water setup on a 4agze. N/A can usually go the proper ae86 4age water setup but this does not work due to the lovely sc12 being in the way.
    The remote thermostat housing:

I flipped the bottom half 180degrees around so that it points forward rather than backward for my plans.

I wanted to fit it here

The benefit of flipping the bottom housing is that the thermo switch is now pointing away from the block.
    So now to cut the water lines. The top one can be cut past the cold start outlet as its now located on the rear head plate.

The bottom fat bypass pipe I decided to cut up into sections ( I cbf welding it up so used more hose joints). A small section where the cold start line came out was removed keeping plenty of surface to clamp the hose onto. The remainder of the pipe was shortened so that the remote thermostat could sit in the desired position.

I used the off-cut of the bottom bypass pipe as way to make a neat bottom radiator outlet pipe.

Position of the heater return fitting:

With any engine I buy I always change the timing belt, seals and water pump. Due to having an abundance of 4a clutch fans and a spare rwd 4age water pump pulley I opted for a rwd 4age water pump, courtesy of AJPS 
    So testing an old pump on the housing to make sure the ribs all line up was a must:

Finalizing the thermostat setup required a secure mounting. I used one of the unused coil pack mount brackets and bent it to fit from one mount hole on the thermostat to the bottom engine mount bolt.

Complete setup:

So next is alternator mounting, comming soon
    Last edited by Nikkojoe; 6th January 2010 at 01:03 AM.

Name
    Luke
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

loving the write up , definatly going to help a few people out.

motor is so nice and clean , good job mate.

Name
    Dom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Well done Tom.
    I think you should have posted this in the tech section. It's too good not to be!
    The Track Car Build: Indigo
    The Street Car Build: Street Build
    A Heap Of For Sale: The Heap

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks guys, ive pretty much done it all now and its been going well for months so i thought it was time to write something up while sort of re-starting my build thread again with a new direction