Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: shits and giggles

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

orrite peoples.... champing at the bit for a small nudge of slap n tickle freddy styles

finally starting to get a bit of motorvation back. Anna has a full time job again, so the savings - and spendings - plan is back on track.

Waiting to pickup/recieve adap computer and plug in loom from kaizin... life saver cos i REALLY didnt want to learn how to wire up an engine. Kinda over learning

He also has a complete trd clutch and lightened flywheel for me so all im missing is the gearbox. Keep missing the good ones on ebay, but have found a local wrecker with w58. Only prob is he wants $880 for them. Im guessing beggers cant be choosers though so ill just save a bit more and hand it over

So got my welder for my 30th

and the COOLEST welding helmet ever ...arrrrrr

then realised welding aint my biggest skill

soldiered on and started to improve. Had some pointers from a good mate and things are looking up.

Initially i was going to remove the mounts totally... but im getting over it and just want it and running for the annual. So after realising i couldnt get the mounts off too easy in the car, i welded the first cuts up and changed tack....

the altezza mounts have horizontal mounts, not angled mounts like the 4a series. So i did some careful measuring and chopped the top of the mounts there to form the base for the horizontal plates. They are also about 3 cm different in height, so that is why they look a little different.

The welding isnt the prettiest, but for every weld completed i hit it with a 5pound sledge really fucking hard to try and break the weld.... none broke

this is an example... the small over lap was belted till it folded near 90 degrees and the welds were still spot on

and the almost completed mounts...

They have, since this photo, recieved a vertical rib about 2 inches wide welded on to the main vertical stay to eliminate bowing, and a second "pad" welded ontop... so the mount face is 6mm steel. - oops its done on the right one

So with the mounts sortedish i set about seeing if it was going to fit the way i thought...

on two wheels for the first time in months...

dash bar and wheel refitted to stear with

then rolled to its new home... only real downer so far is finding out the new big brakes rub the wheel a bit

i have a very slight rise to the garage door... and here was my dodgey solution... block and tackle will rule the earth...

this is as far as i got befor i started to hit snags to my one man fitting party

the exhaust manifold was hitting the fierwal and i couldnt get enough height to angle it in myself

so here is where i ended it tonight...

getting there peoples.

then its a long LONG list of small painful shit to sort out

oh yeah... on a recent trip to sydney i spotted this......

well cool....
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

looking good you will get there
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

BT20v is making 300rwkw like i said i would without nitrous so now its time for some spray and see if she will run a 10s or less

Name
    Brad
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

is that engine in yet.

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

its in.... i have a heap of pics but im too emo to put them up

starter is still doing my head in, will see how ants starters fit with the mount or will modify mine same as you were saying...

found some new mounts i want to use that will isolate the engine a bit more from the body, the solid ones i have now are goiing to be hell for those welds, if i have some rubber in there it will at least clear that till i make the new crossmember better...."we have the technology" and better weld skills.

sort clutch slave, fork and throwout bearing monday then install the clutch. need to give ant my bell for a few days, put it all together and drop it in, then start on the niggling little bits.

if my boss hadnt shagged me on th holidays i soooo woulda had this rolling dirty for the annual. half bog and rubbed back paint... only one panel is painted atm but the engine woulda run and wheel alignment wouda been sweet

alas not to be
    06/07/2011

Name
    Dom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Cool build, Love the front guards. Cant believe the copper let them slide lol.
    The Track Car Build: Indigo
    The Street Car Build: Street Build
    A Heap Of For Sale: The Heap

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Quick tip: with those welds, try and turn the heat and wire feed up a little. And/or slow your hand a little.

Like the car mate, gonna come up real nice when it's all painted. Keep it up.

BTW... do you know who owns this car? Trying to find out if those skirts are run-free and where I can find myself a pair...

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i do man ill find out off him tomorrow and let u know

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

hey ant isnt that the one he rolled at qr a month back?

sorry to hear about yours doing the same at the last day... sucks hard.

yeah thankds for the tips on the welding - i have learnt ALOT since then, hence my plans to redo them. But these will have to do for now
    06/07/2011

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yea that was the one he did and yea man but pumpd for re-shell/build! lol

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

he is on the forum... crazy nanna.... and im pretty sure he does all the bits for his cars legit out of japan.
    06/07/2011

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast