Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: shits and giggles

Name
    Andy
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Jay (buddyparts) managed to get his engine in without cutting out his firewall, but he did have to make a new tunnel (due to running the 6 speed) and he was also putting it into a ke which is a little taller in the engine bay i reckon. I think it is possible to get them to fit, i've had a look at pics of beau yates's car and he managed to do it, but that doesn't have an engine cover, and last time i had a look at it in person it had the crossmember spaced down. i didn't know that there was a difference in W gearboxes on the outside? i thought it was just ratios that changed
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by slide86 View Post
    I will however take take the water from the washer bottle posted to a boat in the southern pacific....express please

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

you absolutley CAN fit these engines without cutting the firewall, but there is a LOT of hammering to get it back far enough for where mine sits. I cut my firewall just cos it turned out easier to do that than keep hammering for where i wanted it. I was under the impression ipra couldnt do any modifications to the fiewall?

As said, putting it forward means there is no need to touch the firewall, and a w series would mean no modding to the tunel either. The boxs have different shifter location points, all are interchangeable, but they differ by something like 4 inchs from one extreme to the other

Beaus is running MUCH further forward than mine and chickens ( pretty much exactly the same spot give or take few mm ) and he hasnt had to hammer the firewall, and he used a fwd beams engine. He went custom clutch flywheel and shaved bell housing and a few other mods.

as stated i would love to be of help, anything you need just let me know
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Andy
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i haven't had much of a chance to have a good look at one of the black top engines, do they have much on the back of the head at all?

for IPRA you can't do anything with the firewall, but there are a couple of guys already BEAMS engines, so it must be reasonably easy to fit in there.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by slide86 View Post
    I will however take take the water from the washer bottle posted to a boat in the southern pacific....express please

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

there is really fuckall behind the heads.... the main space problem is the taper from the bell if using 6 speed box - ant mentioned when he planned to use the box to remove 1 gear to get in the rules - but to get mine where it is would require AT LEAST 25mm pushed back from the firewall, and the tunnell entrance lifted a fair bit. The tunnel entrance really is the main kicker.

The forward position of the engine would be the easiest and safest in terms of working in the rules as i understand them. The only requirement for this method is to machine the back of the sump pan flat to clear the rack and custom make the sway bar to clear the front of the engine - not overly hard or expensive

Doing it this way also does NOT have huge effect on the balance of the car. The length of the engine is NOT the problem, its the extension of the sump. Where my engine sits now its about 40 - 70 mm further back than a 4a. If you ran the engine in the SAME place as a 4a, the only extra weight forward of the suspension is in the sump pan, and it aint much and it is low

ill track some pictures down to try and explain
    06/07/2011

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

it seems like a black art getting the blacktops beams to fit. I once saw a west Indian chop his xmember and space it down to fit some funky looking mounts. Ended up moving the rack with it too which i thought was dodge. He also got T boned a few weeks later and ended up with serious head injuries but yair....

I gotta say im over the moon with my fitment. It only has the pressed steal pan so its no different to the run of the mill moators. Mines sitting like 5mm off the xmember tho cos im too cool for IPRA.

Get anything done this weekend?
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

yeah i think another guy in barbados did it that way too.... well weird.... had like 25mm between the sump and the ground ...

yes sir, got the wiring 2 wires short of complete, have all my relays sorted, just need to double check and fire her up...

but have work christmas do tonight, and pressies for the lady of the house drank the last of the radiator hose money have to wait till next bacth of discretionary money to get those christmas has come at the MOST unhelpfull time

so looks like startup will be delayd

ill have all the wiring done and hooked up so i should be able to "see" the adap on the laptop and have a fiddle with ign to make sure everything is working as i imagined
    06/07/2011

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

my wiring relay boxy thing

has a hat

was the only way i could figure out how to not sit in the car for hours - car is in the sun and too fucking hot... this way i only had to be in the car for like 15 mins
    06/07/2011

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

very cool wiring, inspiration for mine!

looking good overall too. just had a browse though the hole lot.

ETA on finnish?

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hahaha that wiring box is so win.
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

its the box the wiring cutter came in

eta was to be today

but realistically. the engine should be good for start on sunday... i get paid a small cash amount weekly from work for overtime which is my car money, so that covers radiator hoses and fluid. and thats litealy all thats left. to get the thing started.

then i have to redrill my rotors for the new brakes - again just waiting on coin. new pads and fluid to be oin the safe side and the mechanical side is finished

then drive for a bit befor i have the enthusiasm for painting

plan was to paint it befor i drove it, but i miss driving it and im soooo over working on it and not driving lol

plus chickens is coming up in the new year and have to have looksie and i promised him a run on the local fun roads anyone keen ???
    06/07/2011

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast