Thread: shits and giggles

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Default shits and giggles

ellow paint matching is not my skill....

so i sucked at the colour match. We did that... so i decided may as well be a bad white as a bad yellow

and thats how she stayed for ages. A few stupid cock ups on my part involving some of the most embaressing mechanical failures around but for the most part she starts first time everytime, stalls when i have highbeem on and now turns left yay.

Decided with all the action going on for the annual, combined with the fact that i have 3 weeks holidays between jobs ... time for some sprucing up.

first off i have had some s13 stuff lying around for a while now...im not sure if its the right way to go, but it solves a few of my imediate concerns - brakes, track, coilover for about the same price as a good coilover conversion. I know there are cons to this conversion but i think i ca get around them, and if i cant, well i bought the dam thing to play with and learn things

so went from this...

to this...

to this...

]

And well the old girl was looking pretty ruff to say the least, and looking at robs on here made me feel sorry for the lil gurl - she needs a little prettiness in her life.

so the back end went from this embaressment...

to this as of tonight...

well its actually the other side but u get the picture..

both sides have been wire wheeled back to metal... massaged to give a fair bit more room because...

the front is now about 25mm lower than this now...i measured the ground to crease at the front at 540 and the ground to crease at the rear is 580... are they meant to be level???? i kinda thought they should be at least a little closer , and with coilies in the rear, y not... well y not is the fuck all room in the back. Ive got about 30mm i can pull out of the back now the massaging is complete

i did have the worlds bodgiest home made manifold for these... but yeah sucked arse. Worked ok but seemed to choke one of the cylinders back to socks for the time being

So once the rear quards are done, some minor arttle canning and then a rub back with 2000 wet and dry and some cut and polish... hoping it at least doesnt look like a alley tramp

ill be back tomorow with more examples of my fuckups and mistakes

oooh one question for anyone listening...

the coilovers are sprung with 8kg... and being bottom height adjustable, i have tightened the springperch with the SMALLEST amount of spring tension possible to try and get the most droop. Is there anything i can do other than helper springs to get the shock into a lower stroke zone?

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

so another day of trying to work this shit out and having NO IDEA what im doing.

note to self... read the fucking instructions before sanding... highfiller takes WAY longer than body filler to be sandable.

anyways the day went reasonably well check it...

I fuckin hated using this stuff... the last stuff was soooo much easier oh well live and learn

then onto highfill... this stuff is kool but i seriously overestimated how much it could fill.. and again...READ THE FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS

and then sanding.... OH MY FUCKING GAWD sanding

and onto the days GREAT achievment.... numero cocko uno here manages to do this...

any one know how much a new sprinter windscreen is

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

yeah the stuff is shit im sure it serves a purpose, but i cant fathom it ....

anyways... the mornin started with nourishment... man cant live on beer and boobs alone

then in we go....

and this is how it sits at the moment....

the sill height is 105mm at the rear and 103mm at the front.. the lowest part of the chassis is 92mm the ground to sill height is 54cm front and 56.5cm rear ... so does anyone know if they are meant to be level???

So the first time i painted a car, i thought, ill use expensive rattle cans... yeah i know defeats the purpose right... so this time i just went the $2 cans.

OMFG these things are awsome.... it comes out all shiny. The last one was terrible and matt, but these things are shiny as anything. This however has led to 2 problems...

1... i can now see a fucking dent in the passenger rear quarter i had no idea was there :oops: and its not in an easy place to punch...

2... it now looks sooo freakin sweet 8) that im seriously pissed off i ended up with a run on the first side :cry:

oh well im getting there.

So the front end is a nice visual low... but i have a question.

At lock how much body roll would there be on some 8kg hsd hr coilovers... i know a random question but im trying to figure out how much clearence i need between the tyre and the guard... at the moment i have about 2 or 3 mm :? enough to not shred the fark out of the tyre??

also...how do i take locks and door handles off for painting??

and does anyone local have a spare passenger seat mount... the slidy bit?? mines fucked itself

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

yeah i dont plan on mounting the master anywhere else, just need the bottle moved for my new filter setup.

ok... so i have completely hit the fucking wall. :cry:

everything was going grouse, the car was back together and the world was happy. She drove, didnt scrub, steered pretty well considering the bodgy wheel alignment :shock: everything was pucka!

THEN, hit my drive a touch too quick, poped the wheel at the right angle and it bounced the drivers guard... no biggy i thought, just a rub. Yeah a rub that cracked the bog from the panel

so this snowballed into, oh well i may as well fix THAT bit, and THAT bit, oh and THAT bit... and now im on my third spray in 3 weeks. I can not tell u how fucking over it i am :cry: As of roight now, i have runs everywhere and a screamin headache, but i am a man with a plan.

Finish the touch up as she stands now. Put back together. Polish on friday befor all get here. Suck it up and accept i am shit at painting a car with rattle cans Enjoy the annual.

Then save up and do it proper bodgy like i should have this time

by that i meen... i really need a shed to do this painting. Without it there is no hope of not ending the day crying. But a shed isnt going to happen soon.

Im thinking a plastic house for the car with roll up sides, the marquee things for like 3 hundred with roll up sides. Make that as secure as possible. Put the car in there for complete pull down of the body. The only mechanical issues that i plan on dealing with will be replacing the diff with a trd 2 way i have wit a 4.8 i think it is, and possibly trying to disc brake the rear end with s13 stuff? or the rt142 stuff? anyways, ill drop the diff and clean it up and do what i have to to that so the back of the car will be on jacks... ill leave the fron on the wheels.

Remove the hatch, doors, guards bonnet and all glass, all seals.

then i think i have 2 pieces of rust to fix, one at the passenger dash/window junction and one at the seel for the hatch. Fix these.

From here i have 2 plans...plan a and b.

B is just a little more in depth than a but depends on how much i manage to put away between now and then

Right now, a consists off
    - Fixed light trueno conversion consisting of dmax guards and front bar lifted shamelessly from josh's :twisted: Custom vented carbon or frp bonnet and obviously fixed lights.

- Rear bolt on flares, cby etc depending on amount of room needed. This was always the plan for the back end untill i started all this tidy up :oops: these will be moulded in. and possibly a bit higher than standard, maybe an inch. Mainly to allow for the height i like but better fitment without too much scrubbing

- Dmax sideskirts.

- standard rear bumber with jblood side pods.

- Frp Hatch with ducktail and lock down tabs, not side mounted.

- Rear glass and hatch glass replaced with perspex. Not uber thin as i want it to have some structure to them. I know the lightest stuff is really wavey and id prefer to trade some weight for a little less wave

- The entire remainder body rub backed and evened out ready for a new skin.

Y do i think this will be possible when i have failed miserably this time? well i have learnt from all my mistakes and most importantly my step dad has - 3 weeks too late - decided to give me a compressor and spray kit aparently it is quite a nice one. Ill also have the house for the car. That has been a huge problem for me this time, constantly having to dodge weather and always having things land in the paint :x Ill also have a plan... like this. This time i started out basically rubbing prepping and painting a panel at a time... constantly chasing my tail with mistake after mistake. Im going to sit down, plan the events and the order they should take place. I also have some favours owed by people in the know, so ill be bugging for some help in the process and planning. Im still hoping to be able to get as much of this done by myself as possible though.

Internally the only thing i want to add is a better passenger seat, either a matching fixback or a decent reclinable. and a second harness.

The internals also leeds me to plan b 8)

- as above, all plan a would be implemented but the following would be included.

- remove the floor from the struts rearward and ditch the petrol tank and associated bits and pieces.

- fab a flat floor with a fuel cell mounted with a remote fuel fill point, hopefully behind the number plate in the rear 8) but dont know if i can do that yet.this would free up room under the car for a basic "flat floor diffuser" nothing tech art dramatic but the main reason ill be using the standard bumber with the jblood pods... should help clean the rear end up

I am enrolled in tafe welding and fab courses over summer and into next year so hopefully i will be able to pull most of this off myself. I should be able to bug a welder out of my uncle and im planning on modifying the diff mounting points for my coilovers in the rear. Trying to lower the mounting point and use a moutning tab rather than a stub. That way i can move the shock into a better part of the stroke.

- i also need to get adjustable rear arms and lower rear mounts... either weld on or the t3 fellas... havnt decided if im going rosejoint or bush...

NOW... onto the important stuff.... COLOUR??

i want a block colour.. not doing the two tone again. Prefer block colour on the bodykitted cars. Choices are down to

- a nice light aqua blue from an old mazda 121 - very different and im partial to blue.
    - british racing green
    - the current holden ve purple. LUV this but as it stands im already copying too many local cars, and bretts car is soo iconic here :oops: and im pinching more than the bodykit from josh...
    - the ford ba purple. Its not a shiny purple and i think it would work well... has like a burgandy tint or something

Onto wheels. This was what i was getting to about josh's car :oops: i love the 16x8 and to be fair i have been planning on them since jez showed them on his car when he was at otomoto, oh well we cant all be leeders and yes, the wheels would be white with the above colour schemes. I would have to get these befor work started so i can make sure the body is set to fit the wheels right

list of parts -
    Driving lights and all associated switch's and wiring
    dmax guards
    Dmax front bar
    frp/carbon bonnet
    dmax side skirts
    jblood rear pods
    frp hatch
    perspex windows and hatch glass
    brand new seals car wide
    new windscreen
    seat and passenger rail
    rose joint castor rod.. front ae86 and rear s13
    longer s13 balljoints
    rosejointed s13 tierod ends
    poly bushings for the rest of the suspension/swaybars etc
    better harness brace in rear.
    Sparco 80mm dished wheel
    Rota grid 16x8 +10 wheel in white
    195 45 16 adrenilins most like - or suggestions peoples?
    *disc rear conversion stuff
    extended rear arm mounts
    adjustable 4 link... bushed or rose joint or combination?
    origin/cby rear flares

b...
    fuel cell
    remote battery setup with cams approved external and internal kills
    coilover relocation tabs etc

thanks for readin guys and id love any suggestions comments reality checks u may feel like giving

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

orright kiddly winks

... here it is...
    its half 11 friday night, the first night of the annual. My man love slave for the weekend hs ditched me for mexican passions, my car has shit itself - i may or may not be exagerating for dramitc effect - im filthy and pretty sure im on the ripe side of welcome

BUT

its almost back together.

So had some minor headlight troubles. Still not so sure what it was, but a mate of mine came round, we had a fiddle, found that by bypassing the switch, and linking the power to the lights, they only came on when highbeam was activated. Awsome, i had lights again. Taht was wednesday last week. Havent used it in a couple of days... since saturday. Playing round this arv, all innocent getting ready for some action, turn the key... nothing, nada nilch. Dead as a doornail.

So im hoping it was simply a case of the two wires drawing a tiny current even though the lights were not on, and its killed the battery. No probs ill just use a simple on off switch. Awsome, im grouse.

Switch one.... works a treat fuck yeah im kool. Hold on, my parks and rear lihts dont come on. Hmmm... ill wire in that green doohicky. Yep parkers and tails on... all the freakin time. Switch two time. And yes im back to being freaking fucking awsome again

Check it... toyota even decided to give me two helpful lil holes for just such a prcedure....

Please ignore the hideous state of the wiring im just begining lol. Anyways, they are all out of the way and work as god intended... LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!

was on a roll and thought id have a crack at my horn that hasnt worked in 18 months.... hell yeah the groovy moves keep on coming.... wakes the neighbours a treat at 11 pm

Decided the daggy old blue seat that is falling apart could do with a spruce to match the shiny new carpet... so stole the passenger seat cover out of the mrs car.... she is in japan till tuesday so ill have AGHES to think of a good story as to why its there

mmm all the comforts of home...

without heater fan or aircon :twisted: least it looks a little less deviant to casual observation

so put my trumpet socks back on after a clean. I dont have any oil to reoil them with, but i figure a dry filter is better than no filter right? my only concern is the oil was some sort of fire retardent and they will actually go up really easy now? i dont think that would be the case but u never know??

and i relocated the overflow bottle, no real big deal just got it into my head to do it but it does allow for much more airflow from behind the headlight now so that cant be a bd thing right?

Anyways children of the light, im off to the valley to partake in beau's not so slow decline into cocktail ridden depravity.... or i may just hit the strippers alone like the dirty old deviant i am... i mean might be...

laters people and thanks for watching...

enjoy the annual this weekend hoipefully ill catch up with all and sundry tomorow afternoon after the karts at the calamvale ... and then the shits and giggles on sunday. Im down for prizes boys and gurls!

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

right.... dragged my slack arse from the depths of self induced suffering and here is my list of pics

for sure the car of the fucking meet... well for me anyways oh yeah and i just realised i have no pics of mine : if anyone does that would be gnarly

clean

his matching track car... and i here his mrs has a hello kitty pink trueno in the build lol

i think this was the friendly plods car... neat conversion and nice car

t minus 5 minutes on the way to surfers sluts... not a great start!

doood lower the fucking 4x4

these two were fucking kool... a wek early for schoolies... me an old mate followed but i cant find the pic lol

It was a fucking epic weekend. Fucking unreal!

highlight was folloing andrew back up the mountain my ears ended up bleeding! That was the first time i really have pushed my car and it took everything i threw at her.... for a while... then the passenger wheel came loose again... and i think i have blown the coilovers in the rear the diff keeps hitting the floor of the car and it got WAY worse towards the end of the runs through nebo.

Balsiest moment... final switch back on nebo return run, pete is hard on hammer... pushed a little too hard, corrected a bit with the brakes, check the rear view mirror... can no longer even see ptetes bonnett... just the windscreeen and his demonic smile as he ALLLMMMOOOOOOSSSTT parks it under the hatch fucking epic weekend guys!!!

all glory to the kid and the hypnotoad...

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

soooo whats on the clock tonight boys n girls...

decided i wanted to change a few things after the annual runs through nebo etc. Found a few things i wanted to improve, namely more travel wth the hieght of the car as is have my cake and eat it too

i really need a wheel aligment too OOh question, with the nissan lca bolt, is it a larger bolt with the same thread as the toyota bolt, or does it have its own bolt to match... can i get a new regular even sized bolt and just use a big fuck off washer on the bolt side? or am i talking double dutch??

anyways... this is how she was after i managed to find my way home after playing with pete in surfers...

i had decided i definatly needed more travel in the rear... and needed some improvements overall with the rear.

as u can see i have four fiths of fuckall travel in the strut and thats uncompressed some of u may have noticed this stuff for sale along with some other stuff, hopefully to fund some adjustable rear arms... my first choice is unfortunatley not producing any more so im looking round now to find a replacemnt that is decently built. Suggestions would be grouse boys an girls....

i also figured it would be a good time to try more stuff i have never done. Ive never pulled a diff out...

here it is safley tucked away and about to be attcked with another of my firsts... i know its gay but ive made it to 29 years old and never used a grinder... soooo

im not planning on going back to seperate springs and shocks, so the removal of the spring seats would allow a little moretravel room befor the diff hits the shortened bumb stops - and allow me to play with a toy ive never used...

and then it bit me... im a complete retard and nearly managed to cut the tip of my finger of :blink: oh well i learnt to pay more attention to the thing after that

I had on stripped bolt on the diff, all the others came off no problems... but this lil fucker just kept spinning.

so i chopped him in the hope of being able to punch out the bolt and replace it... or is that not how it works??? :whistling:

I had been putting of a oil leak from the diff for AGES - since i bought the car infact. When i got her it came with a trd 2way fitted to a 4.8 apparently. So here i am ready to fit it but now its out time to clean it up good and give it some paint.

So the plan from now is to
    1. finish cleaning the diff, prime and paint
    2. Have diff centre checked for lash etc
    3. Refit axles, diff centre with all seals etc replaced and filled with oil.
    4. Remount to car including fitting of adjustable arms - to be purchased
    5. Alignment.

After that she is ready to go till end of next year when i still plan on going through with her proper make over. Wheels will probably be replaced a bit earlier.

If i can track down the stuff i need i might do the disc conversion now, or i might wait... not too fussed.

Also plan on doin as many track days and hill clims and drift sessions as i can, and ill have to replace stuff as they break i guess... im hoping she should be relatively reliable, i know the clutch ill prolly give up the ghost someetime, but fingers crossed the rest should be fairly strong...

well im done for now peoples.

any suggestions for the adjustable arms please throw them out there...

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

so peeps been a while since i did something constructive

Have the rear end back together somewhat. Ran out of light to get the brakes hooked up and the driveshaft. but the diff itself is back together, all painted and shiny some

also decided on these....

really REALLY pissed of with the supplier driftshop. Basically the price is good, the quality seems fine etc etc. Then the fucktard takes a week to even get the into a box for shipping. Then, as u can clearly see there are 6 pieces. He sees fit to only use 3 bags of bubble wrap. So now they are all scratched to fuck. They are supposed to be powdercoated...so heavy duty. And the scratches and knocks go right to the metal. Incompetant fucktard.

BUT.... got them in...

followed by the diff...

That pretty much all i managed. The diff has a 4.8 2way installed now, so really keen to see how that changes the feeling of the car. The adjustable arms are rose jointed at both ends on the top arms. I know this isnt the best result and im looking at having the drivers top body mount changed for a custom rubber bush.... will see what happens

Gave my whitline adjustable panhard a coat of black, then scratched fuck out of it putting it in

On the happiest of notes.... these arrived

16x8 +10 not the most sik fit wheels out but im a huge fan fitment wise they are gonna be perfect!!!!! well only checked the rear but...

fitment with 195 45 16 should be spot on thats with a 25mm spacer on the rear. With the s13 in te front i have a extra 35mm so should sit like a set of -15 on the front

sorted out my coilover issues i think. only need a test drive to have my theories finally sorted so far everything seeems to be working. Basically during th annual, the rear coilovers with agx were set to 8. The hardest setting they have. With the amount of travel the coilover setup allowed me at the height i wanted the car - ie really fuckin low... well yeah the travel in the shock was about 30mm. So during the spirited driving of the annual, her first real step out, she was bottoming out on the allow spacer ussed at the top to keep the springs located.

Well with some creative thinking and a little playing around, i now have trd blue 8 way adjustable coilovers. Set at 2 they are harder than the agx on 8, i have had the locator allow hat machined down 35 mm and the body of the shock is 15 mm shorter than the agx. This gives me a total of 50mm EXTRA STROKE for a case of xxxx . So at the same height the car was, basically the lowest point available on the t3 coilovers, i have an extra 500 of stroke for a total of 80 odd mm travel, AND i can go about 25mm lower if i really get the itch....i know it will handle like shit but im a ricer at heart

nah i doubt i will go much lower....was happy with the height , just needed the extra stroke to make it work. With the removal of the spring seats, i have an extra 30mm before the diff hits the bumpstops too

The sad part about this post is as hot as the wheels are, and im busting to get them on, anna bought them for my 30th bday awsome chickie she is BUT its not for a while........

not till june actually. She is gonna make me wait till then appaarently to wear the new shoes....... Oh wels i have some time to wear her down i think

Wanted the car back together to do sa beginers day down at archy, but missed it hopefully get my shit sorted for the stadium drift beginners....

Also in late breaking news might be procuring a discbrake conversion for the rear end... depends on the xmas bonus

all loves people and a merry christmas to you all. Hopefully santie is nice to all of you wanderful people

Name
    David
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

what size rubbers did you go with on the rota grids?

Scammer, DO NOT BUY FROM ME!

why why whyyy did u go 16's??

otherwise sweet car!

how good are 20vs
    HAHAH I LOVE BOOST LOOSING!!
    [QUOTE]iv done my research and welding the suspension solid seems the be the way to go for sliding purposes[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast