Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fresh 4age billowing white smoke..!

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Fresh 4age billowing white smoke..!

Hey guys
    Get this.

I stuck a Jap bigport 4age in my rolla about two weeks ago(done about 1000kms ). The guy said the entire engine was completly rebult about 14000 K ago. He had alot of reciepts to prove it and i beleived him as it ran clean,no smoke and smelt fresh...

Just to add- Since its been in my car the timing had been out a little, it ran ok but did need its timing properly done...

Anyways.
    Im out giving the car a hard time on afew corners. It had a pretty decent run. However after reving it around 5-6k rpm I look behind me and there is smoke everywhere. I pull over and smoke is still pouring out the exuast.

Its night time so it was abit hard to tell via street lights but it was a real white ( maybe blueis tinge) puffy smoke that kinda hung in the air...

I had a mechanic mate and a knowledgeable friend with me. They both agreeed it deffs didnt smell like oil or coolant. They agreed both smells are very distinctive and my smoke wasnt like that.. It wasnt really dark or smelt like burnt fuel either...

I turn the car off and let it sit for 10mins or so.

I turn it on and its running like shit. Its jumpy and rough and feels like its running on 3 cylinders. I apply acceleration and it struggels.Also a real vibration through the car... I drive back and park up...

I leave it again for another 10mins maybe and then start her.. She runs ok with little smoke...

I go for a little drive. maybe a little rough at first but then it clears up. I have a little drive and its running pretty well. I give it abit of a run though the rev range. shifting at 6k rpm maybe. It runs pretty well! almost normal. Maybe just a little vibration after 3k rpm and all thought the rev range. ( maybe me just being paranopoid, not sure lol)

Its not blowing any smoke and seems fine at the heigher revs again...

I deceide to give it abit of a hit...
    I run two corners, you know, reving like 5-6k rpm and she starts smoking again...I full over and it stalls
    It wasnt smoking as hard core as the first time. but sill pretty bad.

I leave it for another 10mins maybe and then begin our trip home. Its running like shit again. Vibrations and really rough again. Feels like its running on 3 cylinders and dosnt like climbing the revs. I shift at about 3k rpm and cruise for abit.

Still running shit and it stalls at the lights if i dont keep the revs up....

However ( here is the wac part ) I continue to cruise and it improves. halfway home it returns to complete normal.
    If anything its running smoother then before i took it out. and its ideling on the 1k rpm instead of the 1.5 it was doing before hand.....

Just started her up the morning after and she runs fine...

Please anyone ?

What is this smoke ? Why only when i thrash it ? and How does it fix itsself lol !

thank you!!!!!!!!!

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ok just after reading the first few lines get it to smoke up again and get out and waft some smoke in you direction if it stinks then there is a problem otherwise there is water in your exhaust the condensation forms up sits in your mufflers when it heats up turns to white smoke the down side is to this the water mixed with the exhaust gasses turn to an acid and melt the mufflers from the inside

i had some little shit kid put a hose up my exhaust and i was freaking out how much smoke my exhaust blew i was filling the street in the end i found it was water give this a try if it smells like steam your all good

other than that has the sump been changed from rwd to fwd as the rwd sumps dont have the baffle plate in the bottom and thrashing makes the oil slosh turn to vapor witch inturn will get to the combustion chamber and not burn thus white smoke i hope any of this helped

cheers
    mat
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

BT20v is making 300rwkw like i said i would without nitrous so now its time for some spray and see if she will run a 10s or less

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

You might have your PCV disconnected, or maybe a bad catch can hookup thats making pressure in the motor and forcing oil into the combustion chamber.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

mate if i was you i would be checking my fuel system and get a injector flow test done coz that white smoke is telling you that your not getting fuel ...... and i dont think 5-6k rpm would help on 1400k rebuild
    2 in the pink 1 in the stink

Name
    Nic
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Is ur pcv valve hooked into the inlet manifold? Could be a lot of oil in the head at 6k rpm and wen cornering it's just pushing it all into the inlet and through the motor. Hence the smoke and then as u cruise it burns it all out an runs fine again.
    I'm not a mechanic by that's my guess.

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well it sounds like I need a catch can....
    My mate was also saying similar things how oil is getting up into the manifold.

- I dont have a can yet...

I just need to do abit more research on putting one in and the effects.

Its just kinda strange how it happend all of a sudden...

I might also get my fuel system looked at....
    Any one know a good place in bris to get my injectors tested?

thanks alot guy! much appreciated. Keep the advice coming

Name
    Andy
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

you haven't overfilled the engine with oil?

sounds like when you corner the oil gets picked up into the cylinder and then fouls up your plugs.

as pen15 said, having a FWD sump could cause this.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by slide86 View Post
    I will however take take the water from the washer bottle posted to a boat in the southern pacific....express please

Name
    Eddie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

disconnect the rocker cover breather hose and see if it still does it. other than that it does sound like fuel surging but that doesnt explain the smoke.
    AE86 THE BEST

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

oh i forgot to mention I am running the smallport 7rib block with it...

Yeah ill be playing with the rockercover breather on the weekend...
    Im just not reving it past 3k rmp to get to work and it seems fine.

- Na i havnt changed or toped the oil since ive got it. The oil looks pretty good and on the full mark Although i did plan to change it soon. The guy said its running 15w-40

I found this on another thread. It looked abit like this. But it was only rly bad as i was reving. Not so bad on idel..like this poor 86 is

thanks guys
    Last edited by schubey; 18th January 2010 at 08:44 PM.

Name
    Luke
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

anyone got any ideas of wats going on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast