Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dx20vt

Name
    Matt
    State
    South Island
    Country
    New Zealand

Had another weekends racing at Teretonga last weekend in part of the NZ Motorsport Summer Series.

The class I was in was a combination of Sport Saloons/ OSCA, and Sports/Production GT,
    But was also the first round of a 3 round series called the NZ Sport Sedan Challenge
    which is two rounds in the South Island and 1 round at Hampton Downs?

Anyway 21 cars started the weekend in the race.

Qualifying
    Qualifying was dry and I was getting used to the brakes with the new valve,
    what a difference it made to them, firm accurate pedal first press every press.
    I didn't think it was that cold but the tyres, especially the rears, took ages to get any traction and heat into them,
    so I was not pushing it too much early on.
    Did what I thought would have been a good lap or two and then came in.
    Qualified 8th overall and first in class on a 1.05.5 so was really happy with that.
    Results
    Video

Race 1
    Started from P8 which is the outside of the track and got a better jump that the EVO beside me,
    but the WRX from behind came through between us and I got stuck on the outside,
    so let them through and followed them into the corner as the outside around turn 1 is not generally a good idea at Teretonga.
    Race went really well although the car seemed to struggle for grip at times.
    Me and the EVO I was chasing appeared to be catching Harry Dodsons GTR at the end of the race
    and I got a bit keen going into the last corner to get a good run out onto the straight,
    and locked the rear wheels braking into the corner.
    I thought I would end up off track and loose some spots as there was another EVO right behind me too,
    but just managed to keep it on track and get out of the corner to finish 7th.
    Results
    Video

Race 2
    Race 2 was wet. Very wet. Started P11 on Reverse grid split into two groups.
    Got a good start for a 2WD car, but the gaps closed up and I could not see for the spray and windows fogging.
    We had been a bit rushed to the dummy grid and had not sealed the car properly and the demister was not on the right angle,
    so mid race I came in for a pitstop to get the screen wiped and demister tweeked as we were not going to go well anyway as a lot of the other top guys in my class had bought good new wets, while we were on really old tyres with some grooves on them.
    Came back out of the pits 1 lap down and behind P3, but the safety car was out anyway and stayed that way till the end of the race so finished at the back.
    You need to complete 75% of the race distance and cross the line to be classed as a finisher and get points, so in a 7 lap race you need to do 6 laps to finish.
    Results
    Video

Race 3
    Race 3 was looking good.
    We had found that the front splitter had not been inserted properly under the car and so that was causing lack of front downforce,
    and that the rear wing angle was almost flat compared to where we usually run it for circuit events,
    so we hoped that it would have soled the lack of grip issue from race 1.
    It was a full reverse grid delayed start, and me and the Two EVO's from my class were starting together on about 40 second delay.
    Unfortunately the gear lever broke off the start line and I ended up with 3rd gear for the whole race.
    Being reverse grid all I could do was keep going and aim to finish,
    but I actually managed to catch and pass a car so did not end up last again.
    Did not want to hold the car on the limiter, and high revs with little load is not good for them either,
    so used the clutch on the straights to keep it going.
    Results
    Video

Now fixing the gear lever and racing again this weekend at Levels in the next round of the Summer Series

Name
    Matt
    State
    South Island
    Country
    New Zealand

Another weekend, another race event,

Second round of the Sports Sedan Challenge and the 4th round of the Sport Saloons Series.

Qualifying on Saturday morning wasn't the greatest,
    Went out at the start of the session and had only really got the tyres up to temp and getting into it,
    when an EVO powered Mirage tossed a rod on the front straight and went into the wall,
    so they red flagged the session.
    When they sent us back out we were given 5 minutes, which was only really 1 warm up lap and two flying laps.
    Both of my Quick laps were held up by slower cars,
    Having to pass a Red Commodore coming onto the front straight on one lap,
    and coming up behind a Honda going slow across the line and having to brake way before the finish line
    on what would turn out to be my fastest lap.
    Anyway everyone must have has the same issue as I qualified 7th out of 19 cars

Race one was a good race, Got a reasonable start and the race went well,
    chasing Gary's EVO again for most of the race and ending up 7th overall.

Race 2 was not so great, got away alright and was running great in the race,
    was running with Harry dodsons skyline right behind me for a lap when we came across slower traffic.
    Coming out of the hairpin 3 into the next corner did not fit and I got tangled with 2 slower cars,
    Which resulted in a reasonable amount of damage and the RR guard rubbing hard onto the tyre.
    Not wanting to have the tyre blowout and cause more damage
    I slowed and was cautious for the rest of the race, finishing 10th still so mid pack.
    There are some pictures at the end of the video of the damage.

Race 3 was hard work. Due to good lap times earlier I was well back on the starting grid for the Handicap race.
    Did not get off the line very good and spent the rest of the race trying to catch up.
    Was still fun though, and the Corvette was right behind me all race until the last lap.
    Finished 10th again.

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

i just wanna say how awesome this is mate!!!
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeah, i will try and see a race next time im in town!
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2