Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tom's RA65 Coupe

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I thought the height adjustable seats didn't work for IRS?

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I totally couldn't tell what way up they were meant to be. I fiddled around for a while and they seem to fit this way best. If I turn them up the other way im not sure they would be accessible to adjust around the inner fender wall that would shroud the top of the perch. But I'll give it a shot. Should be okay.

This is my first time fitting a suspension setup like this. And I'm putting it in the wrong car with no instructions. Haha recipe for disaster :p

They seem to work well upside down though. What are possible issues from having them this way up?

Thanks for the tips guys!
    Last edited by Beefy_Heafy; 27th September 2011 at 11:33 AM.
    So just keep in mind the next time ur at a drift meet and someone asks u why ur not out there ripping it up with the other sikunts, don't say "I'm waiting for my coilovers to arrive" or "my gf wont let me drive sideways", u say "I flatspotted my tyres on my HUUUGE 120km/hr entry and if u missed that then ur TOO LATE BIATCH"

Name
    John
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Well with the short stroke shocks that come with the rears (i have MX73 Megan racing in my JZA61) once the trailing arm is raised enough to actually put the shock on it keeps the adjustable perch and spring captive. Although pre tensioned springs make for a bouncey ride, but really its not a MAJOR concern.

BUT

You'll see that on your trailing arm, the base or bottom perch from factory is curved in a certain way.
    So when you putthe adjustable perch at the top against the body
    And note that the spring has a flat side and a curved side,
    The flat side obviously sits against the adjustable perch up the top, and the curved side of the spring sits on the curved base perch on the trailing arm.

A guy that drifts here in Perth with a 1JZ MX73 has setup his the same way as you have, he has never had an issue. But from what i can see... its wrong.
    coFF33.wordpress.com
    ^^^^^^^
    Toyota Love and other junk about my life

ODIN GARAGE CREW est. 2008

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

Yeah the spring would sit more correctly the other way up. I'll try flipping them over and see what happens. There is body length adjustment in the shock also so I'm able to adjust so that the shock is mounted with only the smallest amount of pre tension on the spring to hold it in place at the shocks full extension.
    So just keep in mind the next time ur at a drift meet and someone asks u why ur not out there ripping it up with the other sikunts, don't say "I'm waiting for my coilovers to arrive" or "my gf wont let me drive sideways", u say "I flatspotted my tyres on my HUUUGE 120km/hr entry and if u missed that then ur TOO LATE BIATCH"

Name
    John
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

im still fiddling with mine every event ,
    if i want to make the car as low as i want it to be for sliding, the spring always has pre-tension ...

so annoying.. dont really know how to overcome it.
    coFF33.wordpress.com
    ^^^^^^^
    Toyota Love and other junk about my life

ODIN GARAGE CREW est. 2008

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

Mabye cut a single coil out of the spring?
    I don't run too low so I haven't had this issue of yet.
    Last edited by Beefy_Heafy; 27th September 2011 at 01:24 PM.

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

Funny story.

went and visited rally mechanic dude today (craig) as he had finished making my castor rods.

pretty happy with how these turned out. except i didn't get as much castor as i would have liked (4 1/4 degrees) will need to get castor adjustable camber tops or rose jointed lca's to get more out of them.

when doing an alignment after installation craig found that the outside mount for the rear swing arm was flogged out really bad (think f***** shopping trolly castor)

i didn't take any pictures as i was too busy thinking of best way to fix and how many $$$ it was costing me

really really surprised that i managed to pilot this death trap the other night. as the toe on the rear right wheel was constantly fluctuating between +20mm to -20mm... or there abouts. it was really bad. used a big ass washer to weld the bolt to the mount. good as new!

Name
    Beau
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ftw!! pillow ball goodness..
    full time mechanic... part time toyota tech lol

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

so if you put them the other way, like over top of the bumpstop cone thingo they cant be adjusted on car?? im just curious as im thinking of buying some for the rona seeing as they are the same rear end, that or just getting long springs and cutting to length haha

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

oh yeah. the only reason is because on the celica there is a sheathe of inner fender wall obscuring the space u would need to adjust the spring seat with the seat facing upward. i still haven't turned mine over. i have some rubbers jammed up in the top that allow it to sit well.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast