Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: benefits, legalities and evading the authorities surrounding seam welding your body

Default benefits, legalities and evading the authorities surrounding seam welding your body

CAR - AE71 CSX

MOTOR - 4ac, soon to 20v 4AGE

USE - Daily, drift/grip

PROBLEM - I want to stiffen her up but i'm not sure what seams i should be welding (corolla specific) etc....

PERSONAL SITUATION - Im an experienced welder fabricator so i dont need to know how to set up the welder or anything... Im wanting to understand and get a good overall view of the benefits, legalities ways to evade the authorities (should they pull me over) surrounding seam welding..

hey ppl long time watcher, first time poster (that i can remember) just landed my first rolla and im after information plz help

Name
    steve
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

as far as benefits, pretty much anything anywhere in a rolla that stiffer is goin to be a bonus (as long as it doesnt add too much weight). a half cage made a huge difference to the handling of my rolla when i had it.

the main seams are the ones which are under the most stress, and connect to the more important parts of the car. i.e strut towers, wheel arch's and chasis. weld these to each other and you should get some positive gains from them.

i recomend searching through old scholl rally builds and such where this was done a lot and see what they did.

in reguards to legalities, if the engine bay is painted i challenge any cop to pick out that the bay has been seam welded. i dont think its illegal any way, just say you bought the car like that, and try to talk your way out of it if they pick it. i talked my way out of a weber carby, gatorade being used as a catch can, and twin tips poking about 1/2m out the back of the car. just depends who you talk to...

-dan
    gunner:
    You're a fucking idiot, and I am ashamed that you are part of this community. Sure there isn't many tracks, but praticing on the street isn't the alternative.

Grow the fuck up you little JDM whore
    ALL DRIFT MODIFICATIONS
    for all your drift modification needs

Name
    Tan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Considered adding more meat to the chassis? This could help stiffen up the chassis without a rollcage. The mid section seems very weak and i've seen countless chassis bend at almost identical areas. One of the club86 videos shows bracing done on tsychia's car which seems like a good way considering he thrang'd his car alot. Here is an example of some1 doing the same, believe I saw it on the EU forums.

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i eventually want to run rosejointed equal length rear end in my 86 track car and i think i read i'd have to seam weld the chassis is this correct?
    would a full cage do the same job?

thanks for pointing in the correct direction fella's and ladies (is there any ladies on the forum in adelaide? i want my missus to join) had a bit of a rollie pollie today in the rolla so i will def be seam welding it and now more than likely fitting a half cage lol

i would like to hear more about ppls experiences with chassis stiffening aswell if there are more keen to share (maybe theres a kind old gentleman who likes rally cars on here who can help me)

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

just use the N2 ae86 cars for examples, what they do and use has been proven to work
    dose

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ive had my engine bay seam welded (Cheers Dimsum) and a half cage installed (and again) plus suspension completely redone since having my 86 off the road.... I cant comment on the improvements as I haven't driven it yet, but I suspect it will be in a whole new class than what I remember
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I really wonder how much of a difference seam welding makes, I don't think people give spot welds enough credit

Name
    Jake
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Lots, the proof is in the pudding. People have been doing it for ever, in my previous and current gravel car you could notice the difference with the engine bay, strut towers and around the rails done.
    Personally I think it's well worth doing, and you would never have any problems with the fuzz, as long as you re paint the welded area.
    I got nothing.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah we all know it does something but I think it's more the icing on the cake than anything big, just my hunch anyway

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast