heard you where going IRS?

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Perhaps if I was going to run 6kg springs and rose jointed rear end, yes it would be too solid. However, I am trialing a variety of spring rates that are softer than commonly used in the 86 community to find just what is going to offer the best performance for what i want to do. The idea of equal length arms and them being rose jointed is so that the diff has no resistance to moving up/down, rocking left/right. Same as not having any sway bar, I want my car to roll around over the diff, thus keeping power on the ground and obsorbing somewhat the lateral forces transfered when altering direction at speed away from wanting to force the car into a slide.

Was going to. Decided against it. Meh, V8 Supercars run live axle rear end still, must be alright to some extent im figuring!

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

yeah well you would get more squat with IRS?

but you keep zero camber all the time which must be a plus with a billion hp

so the answer isnt in some wide grippy tyres?

ive driven with cutties, 8 & 6kg and 6 & 4.5kg.. for good all round street driving im quite happy with the 6 & 4.5kg. up until recently i was running 10ish and 4.5, looks gangsta as could have the guard sitting on the tyre (very very little compression) and may have been usable with some stiff shocks. going back to 6kg in the front feels really soft but it turns much better now. i had just adapted to the way it handled with the 10's but going back to 6's kinda realised how much understeer it had, esp mid corner. will slide with 205's on the back haha!

oh and 8 and 6 with kyb shocks and rear swaybar would power drift with a 4ac at like 40kays. so good for low powered skids but felt very unstable around highspeed corners and little to no grip. but the slides where quite controllable.

thats just what ive found, i think id like to try maybe 6.5 and 5kg
    Last edited by ae71; 18th January 2009 at 03:18 PM.

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Nooooo...... Stock sprinter (lowered) rear end SUCKS for squat, simply because of the geometry. A quick explaination of attaining squat is that it is all to do with the angle of the upper arms and the length of them compared to the lower arms. For more squat under power, the upper arms need to be inclined (at the front), opposite for squat under brakes. Its a comprimise that can only be found through trial and error, to suit the driver's preferences and driving style.

And yes, some nice wide tyres will also be helping.....

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

only time rose joints make it slippery and rubber or the missing upper arm give more traction when the geometry is all up to shit...
    Last edited by s14seriesII; 19th January 2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Owner built and tuned 9000rpm 402kw atw 3sGTE - AE86

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    4ages are for the scared

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

your using 16x8's from memory? well 225/40 semi slicks should give heaps of traction i would have though?

also v8 super cars are fairly low tech really. big chev motor up front, gear stick in the middle and a old lock diff at the back... they do wheel alignments with string. for Australias biggest race series kinda a bit ghetto and back water style. look at JGTC those are closer to F1 cars then our V8's.

dont they run a single panhard too not a watts linkage?

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

the v8 supercars run watts linkage they have a pretty damn good setup to copy as well with equal length parallel inline 4 link rear end..

and not too many chevs come with 8 throttle injection with carbon trumpets, dry sump, etc

and isnt medwin looking for anti squat ?? not more squat ?? only downside to anti squat is loose roll steer

4ages are for the scared

Name
    Jake
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Have you ever acutually done a wheel alingment with String?? Now do you wonder why they would do that??
    I got nothing.

Name
    ed
    State
    tas
    Country
    australia

JGTC cars are just like v8 supercars but have restrictors on the inlet to keep the 300 and 500 classes competitive

v8 supercars run watts linkage btw
    NEAR MISS

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

yes quite often do it actually as most wheel alignment machines wont work on cars with maasive neg camber

jgtc cars are a lot more developed than v8 supercars lest not forget that v8 supercars banned gtr's and what not because they couldnt beat them and im sure it would still be the case today

4ages are for the scared

Page 4 of 119 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast