Thread: black top 20v cooling issue

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Unhappy black top 20v cooling issue

hi guys as it states im having some issues with the cooling of my 20v. so heres whats happend so far,

i only picked the car up about 2 weeks ago and it ran at about 80 to 100 deg on a drift gauge there is in cabin, the sensor is located at the back of the head were you block off an outlet. i had to replace a heater hose so i dropped the coolant and fixed hose topped back up started the car made sure there was no air lock in the head. car got around the 100 to 115 mark then id shut it down, no pressure in the bottom hose, i know fixed that after abit of searching around found a stuffed rad cap. that issue is now fixed and i have pressure in bottom rad hose and it sits on about 95 deg at idle.also i have put a new thermostat in and it opens at 82deg, and thermos come on at 80 to 85.

my problem i cant fix is that driving around town it sits at about 90 -95 but when i drop back a gear and give it u gut full of revs the temp gauge drops to 70deg as quick as the revs come up from 2000rpm to 4000rpm then i back of it sits at that temp and then slowly rises again till it reaches 90 95 deg.

the only assumption i have is the water pump isnt spinning hard enough and when i give it a boot ful of revs it spinns harder and forces water into the block. im so lost right now dose any one else know what it may be

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

needs pics of what you have to make sure someone hasn't put a bypass in the system. Have you changed the thermostat as it sounds like it's getting stuck.

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

yeah mate i changed thermostat twice cause i thought the same

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

now I don't want to sound patronising but did you put a twin stage thermostat in there? not a single stage?

Have you inspected your water pump?

It would not be the head gasket there is no pressure buildup.

What rear plate are you using on your head

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

ok you got me a little of gaurd there im pretty sure it is the thermostate has like a tail on it is this right.

havent inspected water pump not to sure what im lookin for it dosent leak i know that.

i dont think it head gasket the collant is clean no real blow by ect.

the plate looks like it made out of alloy it shiney

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

If you have a 20v conversion in a RWD, you had better show us what conversion bits you have. There are a number of ways to do the water setup. Do you have a clear map in your mind of where the water flows?

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah as above, we need pics

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

to be honest no, this is what i have in my head on how it works, top rad hose to head threw bloc, past the sensor in back of block down to thermostat then bottom hose at that bottom hose it tees off and goes to heater tap to heater in cabin then back out of cabin, from there i think it goes to back of block maybe i will have to check as i havent had car long so not to familiar with it. i cant post pics as im at work will as soon as i can to help you understand.

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

i just had a quick look at it and the top description is right except were the heater hose comes out of the back of the cabin it goes behind the block down to a metal tube then to the back of the water pump thanks guys hope that helps

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

It sounds like your confused about your water setup.

The water pump forces water into the front of the block. The water goes up past the headgasket into the head. In the 20v, the water is dirrected to the rear of the head. The water comes out the back of the head somewhere, and you should have made a rear fitting to route the water back into the right side hole in the back of the head. From here the water travels along a passage in the right side of the head, to the front. Then you need a water outlet (I make and sell this) at the front of the head. Then it goes in the hose to the radiator. From the bottom rad hose, if goes into the RWD waterpump via the thermostate.

The heater is seperate. It can be deleted. Or you can fit the heater pipes anywhere you like.

A small bypass is wanted for water to go around the thermostate when it is closed. This is often made part of the thermostate housing, but you often have to hook up a pipe to make it work.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast