Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: just turned into a qualified mechanic what is the minium wage please help

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Paid well compared to a mac donalds worker maybe, not matter how much ull try there's no money in the industry for an average light vechile mechanical shop mechanic.

There obviously other fields where u can get into like performance side, that's where the decent money can be earnt.

Get into service side of the industry and get call outs at double time minimum 3hrs per job

Name
    Dan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

you dont need to own a successful business to earn good money, although if you are successful you'll be raking it in

if you wanna be a tradie it depends on the trade you qualify in, ive just started an apprenticeship in plumbing and at the end ill be sitting pretty,
    being a tradie means hard work at times, however ive never met a poor plumber who is willing to work
    Formerly: sprinters_r_mad

Name
    Jamie
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i just come out of time plumbing i get 34hr, 2 rdo a month take home min 1200 a week. when it 35 deg i go home and still get paid and when it rains we sit in the site sheds gotta love the union jobs. my dad has a mech shop and has for years always had plans of becoming a mechanic and taking it over but dad suggested to do a building trade because it better money and he was right..

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Managers are not always shit hot mechanics with good people skills and business sence who can evaluate who the good mechanics are (maybe some are). Managers are normal people, some of them failed mechanics, some have lost touch with the workshop, some can't read a resume and sort the good from the average. The result: I can count many examples where a good mechanic is faithfull to a business but given the average jobs and average pay. And I know a couple of "senior" mechanics with various titles whos abilities are questionable.

A dealership mechanic who knows just 1 make will be useless in small shop that does some tuning.

A mechanic that can build race engines and do some tuning will be very slow in a dealership.

Gunner

I agree 100%, especially with the last 2 lines.

But where you state, top gun mechanics, doing average jobs and getting payed average amounts, this is my point, they are only doing average jobs, so are only worth the average wage, where as if they were to work to their full potential, they should be payed accordingly, obviously, there will be exceptions to the rule, but it is how i look at it.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i know for a fact that in a dealership you just change parts not fix things ........ 3 yrs in westar trucks
    good old joe blow down the road will show you the rite way of doing things

dealer
    gearbox is not shifting chage the gearbox

joe blow
    pulls gearbox apart to find our way
    2 in the pink 1 in the stink

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

not sure what your idea of a business owner is mate. its a lot more then just raking in the cash.

working a 9-5 job is a million times less stress full when you know your getting paid each week rather then being on the other side of thing mashing calculators and wondering how your going to pay the bills this month.

smaller shops are usually better for learning! just arnt always as professional

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

never said owning a business was easy. working 9-5 also might be more stable and if your happy at the end of the day then so be it. life is hard and now days honest hard work isnt worth much . some one once told me that the less you do the more you get paid and as some of the comments above suggest this is true. another example security guard. they sit on the ass all night and get awesome paid for it.

only way your hard work is going to get you far is to be a business owner. sorry to say but if you own a business and find it hard to pay bills then you might have to re-think and re-structure. no one gets into a business for love. Every person i have ever spoken to that are in a successful business had to works their butt off to get where there are.
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Name
    Sam
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

security guards get paid so much just in case (not saying they always will) they have to break up a brawl ect ect
    my girlfriends uncle is a highly skilled (MMA,Muay Thai and BJJ trainer) security guard and he tells me the kind of shit he deals with every shift
    you play halo?
    add me GT: samnbhnc

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

security guards standing around car dealerships at night or cursing the industrial area or in small pubs .. yeah hard work .
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast