Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Apple iPad Discussion Thread

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I'm going to point out flaws in your arguments. There are many of them.

[QUOTE=driftke70;267389]
    Media consumption, like online video, which is all flash based and cant be viewed.
    [QUOTE]

Youtube and Vimeo both work on ipad/iphone.

It has a camera card reader connection. on my normal computer I use a card reader - it's no different, and it's not tedious, and thats coming from a pro photographer. It's not meant to be an all out storage device. 64gb is enough for travel and short term travel assignments. A lot of photographers back up their photos immediately after they've shot a sessions - many of them use epson and canon photo storage units. The RRP of the cheapest one is the epson p-4000 at $600 and its only 40gb. In other words - you do a memory card dump on there every night while travelling, and then merge the raws to your main computer when you get home. No, it isn't enough for an all in one computer - no, it's not designed for that.

It can be used in EXACTLY the same way as netbooks for music, but it has better speakers and an inbuilt ipod.
    And yes, you can play music while doing something else, and that goes for the iphone too. The music will play in the background of ANY of the standard applications

All the videos that you have can be put into itunes and then converted to MPEG4 format WITHIN itunes natively for viewing on the device. They're all able to be watched on the ipad.

Most netbooks are up around 500-600 dollars - which is the same price, and they have lower resolution and less bright screens. You change your screen aspect ratio argument to suit your point - a while ago you were paying out imac screens for going to 16:9 aspect, and now you're saying that the ipad is bad because it isn't in that ratio. Really, it doesn't make a big difference if the screen gets letterboxed and the actual picture is smaller, it's still higher resolution and brighter than a netbook. Probably the same size too, and with better speakers.

You can make changes in all the work programs. all of them. The same changes you can make on a laptop.

Multitasking is coming in the next OS update. Same with iphone.

Err, yes, actually you can play music in the background whilst on the work programs. Even my iphone can do this.

The kindle is $300australian and doesn't do anything else besides books.

I had it on a flat surface and it didn't move around or do anything really. You're only theorising about what you'd expect would happen, like the forum warrior you so well portray.

The fact that you measure how fast you type is weird. I'm sure you can type faster on your netbook than you can on an ipad. I couldn't care less really.

Once again, for you, this is the case. For other people, who may use an ipad at work without another computer and want to be able to dock it to a keyboard to do writing tasks, the keyboard may be invaluable. Once again, you're completely discounting something based on YOUR requirements. If it doesn't work for you, move on.

It's a decent compromise because it doesn't have to pivot in the middle and become twice the size as a netbook does. It's a decent compromise because it's a single slim screen and the keyboard works well enough to use. Once again, that was only my evaluation of it, I couldn't care if you don't agree. Your opinions are not absolute and all-powerful.

I don't care dude, I don't like netbooks. They feel like an afterthought in design. My opinion - once again I don't care if you don't share it.

That link goes to a 15 inch acer laptop that's 3 times the weight and significantly thicker, and it costs $600.

I'll give you an example, your netbook doesn't allow scrolling in internet browsers via multitouch. My macbook allows me to use two fingers on the touch pad and scroll down. the Ipad gives a bigger screen/viewing area with the internet than a netbook, and because it's a touch interface, it's quicker to scroll and flick through stuff. I hate using a trackpad to click a button to move the page down on a webpage, especially on a tiny little dim screen.

my iphone can open up multiple tabs in the internet browser, and the ipad can as well. Don't know what you're going on about.

You laugh at people for buying a piece of technology that suits THEIR needs rather than yours? Pretty fucking sad. I guess it would be the same sort of thing as someone laughing at you for spending precious money driving and building 1980's corolla?

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I think it's pretty obvious that you're anti apple actually. You've gone into great depths about how you hate apple and their products in nearly every thread that has even mentioned them. I'm not getting offended that you're attacking apple, I'm offended that you act as if you're somehow in possession of a higher knowledge than me with computers, and that your choice and opinion is the only one that counts.

You're not anti bullshit, because half the stuff that you write about why you hate apples so much is bullshit. Like when you swore blue in the face that the ipad didn't come with bluetooth, even when it was on an apple flyer for the ipad. You barely even accepted it when you were shown on the device itself. Yes, you don't like the ipad or any apple product. I don't care. Let's just remember the person that went into the iPad thread and actively stirred the pot.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Funny, I went on the forums and searched for the term "ipod not working" and came up with pages of topics with hardware issues, even ones where the mods recommended taking it into an apple store.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

show me evidence of being able to play music.

this is the laptop for 440

my track pad does scroll web sites up down and left to right,

a netbook opening up doesnt waste twice as much space, a vertical screen doesnt take up any space,
    having no fold out keyboard is a waste of space.

you keep referring that it might make sense for other people as though its sales are horendous and all these people cant be wrong,
    i never said its useless and noone is going to be able to enjoy it.

I said it has many faults, its overly priced, and currently, you can do much better for much less money.

That lap top I posted weighs less, takes up just as much room in a bag, iPad might be like .5cm thinner or what ever but in real world terms thats not going to make a difference.
    It has equal battery life,
    Plays more video types, more easily (drag and drop, just plug in an external hd, flash drive or stream)
    can do more with pictures and hold more and transfer them more easily.
    holds more music, has more flexibility in how they are played and stored, can be dragged and dropped or played from any external source
    is easier to word process and faster
    boots up just as quickly
    can do spread sheets or power point more easily, also these things can be accessed more easily without having to use adaptors or anything.
    software is easy to get, free in 99% of instances, will do 99% of the things you need without software
    has a camera, web cam, mic in plug, vga out.
    sd card reader,
    ethernet

various other things,

if the ipad had a hd driver bigger than 64 gig and an expandible size with a sd or micro sd or something like that,
    allowed flash, even if disabled from factory
    multi tasked (whether the update includes this is yet to be seen)
    had a usb plug, even just one. (that wouldnt ruin its elegant lines too much)
    allowed drag and drop of files without having to sync and convert through i tunes and played a realistic amount of file types
    had a dv out or vga for easy access to a tv without adaptors.

i would see a use for it.

having to carry adaptors and such defies its more portable nature (I argue its no more portable than a netbook)

you quoted its price as 600 dollars.

on the apple website
    it starts at 629 for a 16gb no 3g model.

the nb300 for 440 has 120gb
    has an input for a sim card

the 64gb 3g version which is realistically what you want, especially in australia where readily available wifi is rare.
    thats 1049 dollars. without 3g its 880 dollars.
    So you can literally buy 2 top of the range toshiba netbooks for the price of a 64gb ipad.

even the macbook is 1300 dollars, less than 250 more than the iPad.
    that macbooks portability is only SLIGHTLY less than the iPad, but its usability is a thousand times better.

its just not justifiable TO ME, and I cant see how it can be to many others.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

This is a glass half full or glass half empty argument. The very things that you prefer a netbook for, makes me disregard the netbook as an option.

2 million people so far in US alone - in 60 days have been able to justify it, and that by itself should be enough proof to you that your criticism doesn't apply to others.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I will show you next time I see you, although it's rather laughable you don't believe me - I've been using my iphone for a number of years now, and I play music in the background of other apps pretty much all the time.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Ipad is half the weight and 1/3 the thickness of the toshiba nb300. That's actually quite a bit.

Size and weight
    Height:9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
    Width:7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
    Depth:0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
    Weight:1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;
    1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

and if your so obsessed with me being anti apple so be it, if your prepared to waste YOUR money....
    on something like this thats your problem.

If i wasnt anti apple i would be pro apple and I would have one, but i dont, and i think they are a waste of money.

any apple product would not improve my life in any way, over anything else on the market.
    you can argue till your blue in the face that they have for you, but in my time knowing you I see no evidence of this.
    Id even go as far to say that all the time you spend researching them, any time if any spent earning the extra money to buy them over
    much cheaper options, has prevented you from being able to complete more work, and buy more things that would aid your business in a
    more effective manner.

that 1000 dollar ipad is a 1000 dollar camera lense,
    you can say your dad gave you your mac book pro so you couldnt have spent the money on other things, but the people your trying to convince about macs might be better off with their 1200 dollar savings somewhere else.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well all those websites saying it cant must be wrong,

netbooks sold more than 2 million in 60 days.

if the ipad was twice as thick, just so it could have a usb slot, i think that would be worth it.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

According to this site:

Total netbook sales in US 2009 were 33.3 Million. So sales of 2 million for a single companies product in 60 days is quite a large number.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast