Thread: Apple iPad Discussion Thread

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

right well i had a bit of a play with one of these ipad things at JBhifi today.

its pretty much what i expected, a giant iphone that cant call people.

sweet screen though, it does look VERY good. bit weird to handle, felt like i was going to break it, its just so thin. and i did notice that the endges are quite sharp, im sure youd get used to that.

the onscreen keyboard was fine to use, so long as you were only typing short things.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

it could change your life dave,
    imagine streamlining memos of what you are going to have for breakfast tomorrow from your iphone to your ipad,
    then taking your ipad and using it as a shopping list.
    then get home and streamline it to your 27 inch imac while you create music the world will despise you for.
    you can keep tabs on your spendings, streamline your credit card to the apple website.

you could be the next big thing in the engineer world, imagine using it to consume media in front of reps.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hahah i like the credit card one..

one thing i dont understand is the whole "photos" thing on these portable devices.

i have millions of digital photos that i have taken that i NEVER look at. do they think im going to load them onto my ipodpad and just spend all day flicking through them?
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Novak
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Ok, listen up PPL. BILL GATES actually foretold of the ipad way back in 2007. Jobs dismissed the idea in the interview... stole the idea and then plays it off as his own a few years later.

Don't believe me ...

I love how the uneducated go on about how windows is inflexible, easy to break and hard to use... hrm sounds like they are talking about computers in general. I have worked in IT for 10 years now I am also a trained GUI designer. I have worked in desktop support environments working on PC's, MAC's and linux/unix systems including there servers. ALL systems have there issues. And just to spice it up, the first computer I ever used was a Mac Classic, I used them all through primary school, and man did I hate having to redo my work because the damn thing crashed!

When supporting Mac's (phone support or onsite) I regularly got the pinwheel of death (way more than Windows blue screens), not to mention incompatibility problems. But you can always count on there being a fix or new drivers Windows OS. Also you don't see any 5 yo Macbooks still being used because nothing works on them any more but there is a hell of a lot of IBM T60's/Pentium 4 machines still ticking over in business and are able to run Photoshop CS4 with 1.5GB ram.

To put it in the most basic of terms:
    If you write malware/virus you want it to hurt the maximum amount of people. In my experience >95% of all businesses run on windows based systems, hence why windows are targeted by these attacks. This constant attacking has lead to Microsoft being one of the most secure operating systems around. It is not that Mac is more secure, it is just that the market share is too small, although that is changing and mac's security is not.

If you do not believe me look at the results of any sanctioned hacking expo. The Mac is always the first to be hacked. And this is due to Apples head in the sand approach to everything. Any problems that occur are because of the "user", or it's a one off, but god forbid looking into the issue and resolving it.

Also Microsoft works with 3rd party suppliers to try to ensure compatibility with there software. Apple does not. They pick and choose rather than working out the issues. Jobs will not allow Adobe access to significant parts of the Apple (mac particularly) SDK (which other developers are allowed to use) which would allow adobe to ensure their software works efficiently on Mac. And for what reason, if you cut through all the bulshit, it because he doesn't like them. Not that their product is inferior, but because Adobe told Jobs to pull up his socks. So where does that leave ADOBE Photoshop, Premiere and other software that "designers" use there Mac's for hey? They will not be using mac for much longer will they!!!

Apple produce crap for the ignorant. Seriously, if you haven't cottoned onto it yet you may as well be put out to pasture and just roam around like the blind sheep that you are. And if you are going to buy something apple, wait till it comes out with all the features (well all the feature Lord hand Jobs allows). Never by the first version...EVER.

I have to give credit to apples marketing though, seriously getting silhouettes of people on flashing bright coloured backgrounds dancing around to U2 with massive white wires coming out of there heads... BRILLIANT. YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! Then you by the thing, take it home, need to install software (which you initially needed to download from there site). Then you need to have a masters degree to learn how to use the software. Then the killer, say you take your ipod to someone else hose and need to charge it, it by default will wipe all your music and put your friends Milly cyprus collection on there... seriously WTF!

iTUNES IS THE BIGGEST pos SOFTWARE EVER!!!! It honestly brakes windows machines. We have had to remove iTunes from all our PC's at my current workplace (~10000 machines) because it kills so much software and hogs all the computers resources, even when no iPod/phone has been plugged into it, it just stays in resident memory from startup... that is the definition of bloatware.

As a GUI designer, iTunes has the worst interface ever. I have taught my 60yo father how to use Photoshop, but he still has the most basic of problems with iTunes. It is a waste of space. Winamp with ipod plug-in / songbird even Win media player are way better options than iTunes.

Wow, I wrote way more than I though I would. But I am proud to say that I have never bought an Apple product. Id rather have a product that I can use in the way I want and expect it to work. They are not an innovation, they just redo ideas that other people have done with an amazing marketing campaign and release it as something new, because the average consumer has no idea. After doing all the research and testing, My HTC desire is way better than both the iphone/pad combined. USB, removable SD and battery, 5mp camera, 720p video, an awesome gui and a promise of android continually providing updates. Its no wonder that most of my friends are trading there iphones for desires or waiting for the 4g HTC iteration coming out later next month.

Go back to being a sheep all you apple die(try) hards.
    --- All your base are belong to Phil Bradshaw!!! ---
    `
    <<< blog >>> build thread<<<

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

but you gotta think different, a mac isnt a pc.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

This pretty much sums up your post. Must be something in the water with you ke70 drivers

If you dislike apple stuff, you can find all the reasons in the world as to why they're evil and their products are crap.
    if you like apple stuff, you can find all the reasons in the world why they're the best product.

The difference is that apple users don't burst a forehead vein bitching about how much they hate another product which they don't use, and therefor has little to no actual impact on their personal life.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

that high horse sensation is what makes you love apple gavin, no matter what situation you will always be superior.
    even if the computer is known to be inferior, you will play it off that it cost more and is better made and that only
    someone of high importance could afford one.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

nope .
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th June 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

because im sick of it being in my face any people telling me why i should have one when they dont have one themselves.

why are you arguing for pages about a product you have admitted you wont own?

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Because the product itself personally interests me.

Please find and quote me saying that you should have an apple product on this forum. I'd be very interested to see some evidence of this.
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th June 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast