Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sams scooter of death

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

another update: I finished my engine mounts, they are fully welded in and the engine is bolted up. Heres the rear mount:

I also finished the frame recess. To do this I put a piece of flat steel on top of my cut out, tapped it with a mallet, tack welded it, ground it one side, tacked it again, ground the rest, welded it all and then did the finishing grinding. A little bit of stuffing around but I love the result, I think it looks great. here it is:

and with the engine in place:

oooh also I have a really nice suprise....

its the real deal: a NOS nitrous kit, I will convert it to a wet system though.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

well this thing is finally running.

The first time I got it going I went about 10 meters before I snapped a chain link.

I wheeled it back home and modified a BMX chain-splitter to split a link instead.

Back on the road I go up the hill near me and I accelerate a little and it just lifts the front wheel straight up and throws me off. Worried that I might damage the threads holding the exhaust I wheel it home again and weld a brace on the power pipe. Welding was difficult with my hands shaking so bad.

Back on the road once again I am really carefull and I find it will lift the wheel up a hill or down a hill, truly scary. While I am riding up a gavel path up a hill I accidently give it just a tiny bit too much power and it lifts up the front wheel and because it was an offcamber track it of course just steered off the track and down an embankment. After using my increadabile butt saving technique I stop myself getting too many induries and then go home.

At home once more my hands are shaking badly and I am left thinking "I have made a monster..."

Oh i love it

I will post a pic shortly and I have also managed to get this thing in action on film which I plan to upload soon to an online host, hehehehe

I went for another spin, even at 60km/h the thing feels like its leaning back from the power, I think it may go up to 80, I need to get a speedo for this thing.

Also it broke down, it was spluttering at idle and I stopped for a moment when it just died on me. I don't know why.

well anyway heres a current pic:

the time has come....

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well quite a bit has happened,

- I had a faulty ignition coil which I changed

- Been doing heaps of reading and finding out what I should be doing. BY my basic measurements right now my intake ports are tuned to 6500RPM and 7000 for my exhaust. I will look to change this to 11,000RPM.

- I went for a spin and with my friend following me in his car found that my top speed is 70km/h, however it was the same up a hill so its purely rev limited. I measured the wheel and worked out I was doing 12,300RPM. With the mods I plan to do I hope to get it to 14000.

- I found that my engine has some massive flow restrictions in regard to the reed valves and the engine would of been tottaly straved of air at any decent revs, I will modify the housing to fix this.

- I did some porting of the chamber by opening some up, reshaping, smoothing and also deshrouding certain areas.

- I started working out the dimentions to 3 possible expansion chamber setups and started making the simplest first.

- I have chopped the frame in two and extended it whist at the same time starting a rebuild of the rear section.

Enough talk heres some pics:

Frame stripped down and ready for work

Chopped in half!

Extended with some Cro-Mo tubing, notice the slots cut into the front sections for me to weld through.

new pipes welded in place

An expansion pipe I am working on

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

ok rear part of frame chopped off and two new cro-mo bars welded back in using original diagonal braces:

Simpler, neater, lighter and stronger (I think)

What I need to do now is make another deck plate, a new front engine mount, add a few gussets etc..

This time round I will make the engine mount brackets very short and slim, I will use Cro-mo just like the rest but this time they will be out of the way. last time it was tricky to work on my exhuast and I didnt like it one bit.

Also the whole frame is significantly more rigid now and I am fully confident in doing jumps now which is good.

The only bad thing to report is this frame is using up all my Cro-Mo supplies at an alarming rate, and at about $20 to 30 a meter and a one and a half hour drive one way during buisness hours to get more is not a good thing..

update Dec 17

I was doing some porting to my barrel, heres a before/after:

- I ground the side trasfers to have less of a step, filled the remaining step with a high temp epoxy and then sanded it
    - Opened the boost port entrance, smoothed it and took a nasty step out of the exit
    - smoothed the trasfers and took some uneveness out.
    - ground down the part of the barrel that protruded into the intake and also angled what was left
    - widened the exhuast port

I will find out the results shortly when I run it next.

made a new power pipe also (top one):

I have already welded the stinger on (tail pipe) it too. It is meant for more top end that the first.

another pic I forgot to post:

there was a step in the exhaust port which I die ground out, then widened the exhaust port window itself and then I finally smoother it all with a barel shaped flapper wheel. Looks better in real life than the photo. Notice also how the barrel now curves right into the transfer ports.

This is how I ended up re-doing the front engine mount:

Once again all cro-mo steel and its slim, simple, light and tough. Worked out better than I expected, I do hope its strong enough but I am very confident. Another thing of note is I went out of my way to make it as far away as practically possible from the flange. This is because I previously had issues trying to do/undo the bolts holding the exhuast flange in place, so this time I made it so I had decent access, seems to of worked too.

Different view:

and with the old deck plate temproarily in place just to make it useable till I make a new deck of a simular design:

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

small but disapointing update:

A couple of weeks back I modified the rear fork on my scooter and also fitted a new chain and air filter onto my scooter afterwhich I took it for a ride. I got from the top to the bottom of the short hill and the brand new chain snapped and broke my third bearing support for the sprocket and also tore a tooth off my drive gear. Predictably I was pissed seeing it wasnt a no-name brand (Fenner). A week later I found my air filter had slip out from under its clamp and had since ripped..shit. Anywya I have since sourced some replacement bits and hope to be back on the road soon.

finally an update!

I have changed the damaged parts, fitted my new Japanese heavy duty chain and made a tensioner as shown below:

Also I measured the plates of the chain links and the old chain had 0.6mm thick plates whereas the new chain has 0.9mm thick plates, also the pins are over 2mm longer. So I think its safe to say that at a minimum the chain is 50% stronger before the higher quality is even counted.

I was getting hyped up about taking it for a spin when it wouldn't start, With some aerostart it kicked over but only ran with it being sprayed in. I checked the carb and found it wasnt giving any fuel so I took it apart, found the fuel inlet valve stuck from the oil out of the evaporated fuel, freed it up, put it back together and it ran first pull. I went to take off though and it just died, as soon as I was off the thottle it started again. I just got pissed off and gave up for the day. Next step is to take the carby into peices, clean it out and put it back together.

I should also put some temporary paint on my frame untill I sand-blast it, damn that Cro-Mo rusts fast.

In other smaller news I am working out a plan to make a kick arse Lithium Ion powered LED array for some night time riding.

Name
    Dean
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

dude you are a freak......
    ex-SR20 Stanza and now MX83 Cressida Driver

John 1:12

Banned

fucking hell. that thing is insane.

Name
    Novak
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

holy carp that is awesome!!!!
    --- All your base are belong to Phil Bradshaw!!! ---
    `
    <<< blog >>> build thread<<<

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

scarey, if u bring that to the meet, please keep within 50 metres away from me so atleast i have time to climb up a tree

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

hhehehee, I will bring it to a meet in the future once I have made it a little more rideable

well I hope I have now justifed the two wheeled section of the forum now

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast