Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 244

Thread: iPhone

  1. #61
    Veteran driftke70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Location
    Buderim
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    5,497

    Default


    TO REMOVE ADS, PLEASE
    REGISTER OR SIGN IN
    99% of the reason i dont like apple ^

    like other phones dont mention specs about things really, like say nokia has a 5 mpxl camera, they will put it in the fine print of a spec sheet,
    apple will make it a 2 foot high thing on a bill board, and call the camera like foxsnap and call it a revolution. All the while loudly patting themselves ont he back.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

  • #62
    Veteran driftke70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Location
    Buderim
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    5,497

    Default

    also gav show me where it says that the sensor is twice the size of another phone type other than some dude jerking off on a blog, which i couldnt find anyway.

    it also only records at 30fps, same as other phones.

    here is a photo taken with an n97

    tell me its bad.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

  • #63
    Veteran driftke70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Location
    Buderim
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    5,497

    Default

    lol'd so hard at this
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

  • #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Location
    Richmond
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    647

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by driftke70 View Post
    also compare it to how big of an image it takes, no point taking a better quality image thats half the size

    http://www.pmptoday.com/2010/06/07/i...s-at-a-glance/

    ie iphone four is 960 x 640
    n97 is 2592x1944

    also iphone 4 can only video call over wifi, which is stupid.
    I'm not really sure what information you're quoting there, but 5 megapixels gives a file size of 2560 x 1920. The 960x640 number you're quoting there is the screen resolution, which is completely different.

    And voicecalling will be available over 3g soon no doubt.

    Quote Originally Posted by driftke70 View Post
    just thought id point out that it cant be jail broke,
    which you have to admit, alot of people wouldnt have owned an iphone if it wasnt able to be broken.
    and dont just say thats so they can multi task and os4 has multi task.
    The only reason it can't be jailbroken at the moment is it's like 1 day old. Give it a week or so after they've come out and it will be jailbroken, like every other iphone OS there has been. I personally don't even see the point of jailbreaking it - all it lets you do is change your icons and borders and stuff like that... haha

    Quote Originally Posted by AJPS View Post
    its strange how apple can market old technology 5mp cameras have been in phones for ages and other shit

    and then everyone claps as if its some huge advancement
    I don't think they've made a big deal out of the actual specs of the 5mp sensor at all - I've managed to find buried in the tech specs that it's a back illuminated sensor though, and that is actually pretty cool. Makes a big difference in the low light capabilities of a camera with a tiny sensor.
    One thing I can actually tell you is that whenever you see a new cameras come out with more and more megapixels, that is literally just marketing. More megapixels means that each pixel collects less light (because it has to be smaller to fit on the same size piece of silicon), and therefore, past a certain point, it actually makes the image quality worse, especially when the electronic 'gain' is amplified (this is what the 'iso' setting is in digital cameras) to make the little pixels more sensitive to light, like when the light is low.

    So basically (trying to keep this as simple as possible), here is a chart of sensor sizes:



    Camera phone sensors are of the smallest 1/2.5" variety (a lot of the time they're actually smaller), a pro DSLR like my 5d is of the "35mm full frame" variety. The 5d is 12 megapixel, which means that 12 million light sensing pixels are put onto that sized sensor. They're made as big as possible to take in the most light as possible. When a camera phone is 12 megapixels, it puts the same 12 million light sensing pixels onto that tiny little 1/2.5" sensor, and to get them on there, they have to make them stupidly tiny. This is why my 5d can take awesome clean sharp photos at night without a flash and a camera phone can't.
    This isn't anything to do with apples marketing stuff, this is just photographic knowledge.

    The thing I was talking about mainly was the back illuminated sensor technology they've used, which is a worthy (and not widely used - only 1 other phone utilizes it at the moment) technology rather than just bumping up the megapixels like everyone else is actually pretty impressive. To apply this tech would have been more expensive than bumping up megapixels, and would definitely give a greater IQ leap.

    Here's some info about back illuminated sensors:
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technol...xmor_r_01.html
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th June 2010 at 12:15 AM.

  • #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Location
    Richmond
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driftke70 View Post
    99% of the reason i dont like apple ^

    like other phones dont mention specs about things really, like say nokia has a 5 mpxl camera, they will put it in the fine print of a spec sheet,
    apple will make it a 2 foot high thing on a bill board, and call the camera like foxsnap and call it a revolution. All the while loudly patting themselves ont he back.
    proof of said billboard? proof of camera gloating from apple?

    Quote Originally Posted by driftke70 View Post
    also gav show me where it says that the sensor is twice the size of another phone type other than some dude jerking off on a blog, which i couldnt find anyway.

    it also only records at 30fps, same as other phones.

    here is a photo taken with an n97

    tell me its bad.
    I never said anything about sensor being twice the size? Don't really know what you mean.

    When you say it only records at 30fps, you do realize that pretty much all the other high end smart phones record at only 24 or 25fps right?

    And I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but no there isn't really anything wrong with that photo, as a snapshot.

  • #66
    Veteran driftke70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Location
    Buderim
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    5,497

    Default

    man you dodge stuff.


    heres a phone that deserves more attention
    http://now.sprint.com/firsts/evo4g/


    just look at this
    http://www.apple.com/
    it changes everything. again
    what is it changing? why is steve jobs on every inch of everything page.

    those details i got from a spec page,

    have a look at the n97 specs, records at 30fps at dvd quality.
    htc evo has hdmi output.

    im not saying its a bad phone, im saying its not the best, nor does it deserve the extent of the attention the apple lovers spread around, ive had about 5 posts on face book today about people crapping on about the specs of the phone, when clearly they arnt researching what else is available and are reading the same email set out by apple as everyone else.

    like you say i have a inferior complex, but like you say, "nothing wrong with that photo" then add the little "as a snapshot"

    what ever gets you off dude.

    show me evidence that the light sensor is only available on one other phone, and any supporting documents on why its better. Other than thats what it says on the apple website and the assumptions your filling in, in between.

    Your cracking on as though the other phones have 13mpxls, dave just said that other phones have had 5mpxl for ages and you spieled on about how more can be worse but that doesnt apply to apple for some reason?

    here are some real features i use on my phone on a daily basis
    fm transmitter
    messaging
    internet
    torch


    the fm transmitter alone is reason enough for me not to buy an iphone.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

  • #67
    Senior Member hachirusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Julian
    State
    VIC
    Location
    Northern suburbs
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    695

    Default

    When it comes to brands people put there blinkers on and generally become loyal to a few different ones, Apple has done a good job of marketing there products unlike many of the other phone to date brands and unfortunantly that is the cost of a shit marketing strategy , if some of the other companies wanted to impress consumers with the high quality phones they are making which are better then an iphone they need to get off there asses and start investing more money into marketing.

    Remember back in the day when nokia and sony erricson were the shit to have when it came to mobile phones they both had steady marketing campagins and had many loyal consumers, but with this I think they both got lazy and decided to slack off on there marketing efforts but ive found that ever since apple has come onto the field it is hardly non existant compared to the amount that apple is throwing out there. If they didnt get lazy and tried to put more ads out they may have been able to hold alot more consumers to there brands then what they have.

    If they did this and used comparative advertisements they may start changing the minds of the average joe blow and switch them from the iphone.

    No point in having a mobile phone which has such awesome features if know one knows that it exists

    Ill upgrade to the iphone 4, for the reason that my current one has gone through and absolute shit load of abuse and not broken compared to other nokias, sonys etc
    Rust is a way of life

  • #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Location
    Richmond
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driftke70 View Post
    man you dodge stuff.


    heres a phone that deserves more attention
    http://now.sprint.com/firsts/evo4g/
    Looks pretty awesome really. I personally like iphones OS and build qual enough to keep me away from other phones though.


    just look at this
    http://www.apple.com/
    it changes everything. again
    what is it changing? why is steve jobs on every inch of everything page.
    I think you'll find that its called marketing


    those details i got from a spec page,
    Yes, well you were reading the wrong part. You quoted a screen resolution number as a camera resolution number. As I said before, it's 5mp which means the pixel res will be 2560 x 1920.


    have a look at the n97 specs, records at 30fps at dvd quality.
    htc evo has hdmi output.
    Records at 30fps at VGA resolution (640x360) which is very different to 30fps @ 720p HD res. 720p is about twice the quality of vga video. Yes the htc has a hdmi out. I personally don't see the use for that on a phone but your milage certainly might vary.


    im not saying its a bad phone, im saying its not the best, nor does it deserve the extent of the attention the apple lovers spread around, ive had about 5 posts on face book today about people crapping on about the specs of the phone, when clearly they arnt researching what else is available and are reading the same email set out by apple as everyone else.
    Please see above you stating that the 5mp camera has a file res of 960 x 640, and also on another occasion that the ipad doesn't have bluetooth. Also when you said iphone can't listen to music in background of other tasks. I'm trying to put this in the least hostile way possible, but you quote a lot of misinformation about apple stuff.


    like you say i have a inferior complex, but like you say, "nothing wrong with that photo" then add the little "as a snapshot"

    what ever gets you off dude.
    Easy now, considering that I deal with pretty expensive photographic gear for work everyday, my standards of photographic quality are pretty well formed. Looking objectively the photos blurred, I can see quite a bit of optical aberration and i can also see noise reduction eating finer detail. If I had imported that photo in my library it wouldn't have made the first cut, just due to it being blurry.
    That doesn't take away from the photo at all - it's a phone snap of a tiger, not a choreographed perfected image - I'm not trying to pay you out or anything - not even saying my phone wouldn't have done any better.


    show me evidence that the light sensor is only available on one other phone, and any supporting documents on why its better. Other than thats what it says on the apple website and the assumptions your filling in, in between.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backside_illumination

    That article says only the iphone4 and 1 HTC use it. Considering Sony only announced it about 1.5 years ago and it's only just starting to trickle into their compact cameras now, it sounds right.


    Your cracking on as though the other phones have 13mpxls, dave just said that other phones have had 5mpxl for ages and you spieled on about how more can be worse but that doesnt apply to apple for some reason?
    Not really, dave was saying that they're using an old tech 5mp sensor when that was incorrect - once again they're using a sony back illuminated sensor which is actually very very new tech. Dave was referring to the megapixel count from the (common but incorrect) point of view that more megapixels is better. I was explaining why that isn't the case on tiny sensors.

    It doesn't apply for apple (at this point) because they're still at a reasonable pixel count for their sensor size, and the jump from 3mp to 5mp can be justified by the implementation of the back illumination sensor, which allows for cleaner signals and better heat control on the on-chip electronics.


    here are some real features i use on my phone on a daily basis
    fm transmitter
    messaging
    internet
    torch


    the fm transmitter alone is reason enough for me not to buy an iphone.
    I found over 300 radio transmitter apps on appstore. Most free. And I'll add to that an built in fm transmitter app is expected from apple this year.
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th June 2010 at 02:38 AM.

  • #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Location
    Richmond
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    647

    Default

    What do you listen to on FM radio anyway Beall? I hate that shit - worst music and 95% shitty advertising for pest control or some t shirt you can win by covering your car in one giant bumper sticker... haha...

  • #70
    Veteran driftke70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Location
    Buderim
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    5,497

    Default


    TO REMOVE ADS, PLEASE
    REGISTER OR SIGN IN
    an app cant fit a physical device gavin

    transmitting fm radio means i can play music from my phone on 90% of devices without a cord, in anyones car, at work etc.

    yes the radio sucks but i listen to abc

    also your just regurgitating what jobs says about megapixels, everyone knows they arnt everything, but they do play a key role, if you have two sensors of equal size the one with more megapixels is going to be better.
    http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...eld/1275948198

    you say i do alot of misquoting?
    you said that the creator of adobe and steve jobs have been good friends since the early days, when the only real connection they had was apple was adobes first customer.

    you didnt even know the relationship of cocoa and linux to osx.

    i was told mis information and quoted mis information,

    you make up stories and facts.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

  • Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. iPhone issues
      By Anthony13 in forum Offtopic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 27th October 2012, 05:12 PM
    2. iPhone 3G
      By sfhenry in forum Other Items for Sale
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 10th November 2010, 07:59 PM
    3. iphone
      By ke.slider in forum Other Items for Sale
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 29th July 2010, 05:39 PM
    4. wtb: IPHONE
      By YAZE in forum Other Items for Sale
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 6th April 2009, 10:26 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •