Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

you also said sony announced back lit ilumination, but it had already been made by another company.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

No, what you're saying is basically incorrect. If you have 2 sensors the same size, the one with the more megapixels is going to have smaller individual pixels which is bad. The sweet spot for aps-c sensors seems to be about 12mp, and if you go and look at the chart I posted above, you'll see how much larger an aps-c sensor is compared to a phone one. The way to justify putting more megapixels on a sensor is to either make the physical sensor bigger or develop ways to keep individual pixels large (canon has gap-less microlenses and then there's back illumination etc)

I haven't even seen what jobs has said about it, that information comes straight from my experience with digital cameras technology. if Jobs has said something about the current state of camera phone megapixels being too high, he's actually right. Examples of what I've been saying in the real world:

Olympus SLR boss announces 12mp is enough:

"Twelve megapixels is, I think, enough for covering most applications most customers need," said Akira Watanabe, manager of Olympus Imaging's SLR planning department
    We have no intention to compete in the megapixel wars for E-System," Olympus' line of SLR cameras, he said.
    Increasing the number of megapixels on cameras is an easy selling point for camera makers, in part because it's a simple concept for people to understand.
    For one thing, smaller pixels can mean more noisy speckles at the pixel level and can reduce the dynamic range, so brighter areas wash out and darker areas become swaths of black."

Canon reduces megapixels in it's flagship compact camera:

"When Canon came up with a new model of G11 which replaces the G10, they decided to reduce the megapixel and improve the image quality. What they found was that while increasing megapixels was making the customer feel that they are getting something better, it wasn’t adding any much value other than increasing the file sizes. In fact it was generating more noise at higher ISOs, resulting in poor photo quality."
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th June 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

"Both the iPhone 3GS and the iPod 3G have an FM transmitter and receiver installed, however currently there are no apps to activate the latent hardware."

It's pretty obvious that your knowledge of camera sensors is fairly limited and you're arguing with someone who knows a lot about it.

In the early days, apple probably wouldn't have grown so quickly if it weren't for adobe, and vice versa. I don't really understand what the point you're trying to make is...

I couldn't remember which was the later one between carbon and cocoa APIs, and I know very well the connection between UNIX and osx.

As far as I know Sony were the first to bring out and/or utilize back illuminated sensor technology. I remember when they actually announced it in 2008, and I remember having a conversation with a whole lot of other photographers in the Australian Institute of Professional Photographers (AIPP) imaging trade show about the technology later that year - I didn't just learn about it this week. Even if omnivision were the first to invent the technology I had never heard that, and it wouldn't matter anyway. It doesn't change the fact that it's an impressive technology and it's on the iphone4.
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th June 2010 at 11:51 AM.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

By the way OS4 has already been jailbroken apparently.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

So what you have established is that the camera is on par with other phones but still lacks in other areas, costs more, is over advertised and marketed but you have still managed to make excuses for these things.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Can you explain to me the point you're trying to make? The camera is probably better than most other phones camera, but the specs wouldn't tell you that unless you knew a little bit about it. It's the same price as other equivalent smartphones, and how can a product over advertised or marketed? I still don't understand how you can be anti-marketing? How do you think companies tell people about their products?

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

its not how much its how.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well it all makes sense now

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

no other company pats their own back so hard and so much

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

and this affects you how?

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast