Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: All about welders and welding

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

thanks man im gona chase up the Tradetools SK175 i think,and start practising,lucky my 86 wont need it thow haha
    when doing like a rust repair section or doing front gaurds on rears etc,would lots of tacks be the way to go or weld around/along
    the entire part?ive seen both ways in people build threads.

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

You wont want to do very long welds on any panels.

Reasonably hot and pretty short stitches should do the trick. Either way it will need a bit of grinding after.

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

thanks man

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

For those people on here who use a TIG, what brand/model do you have?

At home I've got a small GMC arc welder to play around with, at work I use a CIG caddy arc, CIGWELD 220 mig, and BOC 250 mig. I'm Interested in starting to weld aluminum and not sure whether to buy stuff for the CIGWELD 220 mig at work or buy myself a TIG. Ideally as with anything I'd like to come out of the excercise as cheaply as possible but I'm prepared to buy a TIG if it's a good one which will last me forever.

So for the 220 at work, what will I need to have? U groove rollers, teflon lined gun, spool gun (if available for that model)? We have argoshield gas for all our steel welding but there's also a bottle of straight Argon at work too, which from my understanding is the one I'll need for aluminum, isn't it?

Also what model TIG do people recommend?

If it will cost too much for all the crap for the MIG I will probs just go buy a TIG, but having never used one before I will need some shopping help.

Stern but now fucked off...
    Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Buy in on an AC/DC TIG (necessary to weld aluminium) is at least $2,000 for a good one. You might get away ~$1800ish if you're lucky but you'll need at least 40-60 amps of three phase to power the sucker up.

So it will be cheaper straight up to buy the MIG because aill you'll need for 220A is a 15A socket.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Something like this be OK? Or poor quality?

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My 200amp ac/dc TIG was $1600, and can still be bought for the same price. Its a unitig one, comes with australian warranty and local support (unimig is reasonably popular). Also, works fine on a normal 15A single phase outet, Ive even run it off a 10A outlet for smaller jobs.

Now Ive also bought one of those krieger MIG welders. I pick it up this week, so Ill see how it goes. It seems alright in the specs, looks basically like a copy of the yellow WIA mig welders. Its a 250amp machine, which still runs off 15A single phase. Should be plenty big for anything car related...

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'm seriously looking at buying one of these. Have you welded everything with it (mild, stainless and ally)? any discrepancies (sp)?

Name
    Chris
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Has anyone got information about atmospheric LPG torches? Looking at getting one for brazing stuff, but so i dont have to keep more cylinders for an Oxy setup.

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Its been pretty awesome honestly, I havent had any problems at all. Ive welded up to 4mm mild steel and aluminium, Ive only done a few exaust bits in stainless though. Also used it as a stick welder and it came out awesome, it doesnt stick much like a normnal arc welder.
    Once you play with the settings a bit, welds come out pretty awesome, Ive managed to do some 1.2mm steel, and fill up some massive gaps in ally. Theres all the typical pulse settings.
    Only bad points are, the gas line is a bit cheap and mine cracked easily, the regulator it comes with feels pretty cheap (might just be new material), the earth connection isnt fantastic, the handle is a bit cheap (I replaced with a flexi one anyway).
    Other than that, for a budget garage welder its awesome.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast