Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Apple iPod (was split from iPad thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stern but now fucked off...
    Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Adding to that, my iPod has given me music in some moments where I didn't particularly want to be there [where I was], and some moments where I was a long way from home travelling for work, homesick and wanting to be anywhere else but where I was at the time. My i-Plod however was there and I could shut my mind out and crank up some krunking awesome tunes. It dind't matter if they were 128kb bitrate or whatever.

Full PCM / WAV bitrate wouldn't have changed the quality of the moment for me at all.

Now, back to "apple-hating" Nick

Bring me forth a gPad !

All hail the mighty google monster

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

what i meant was that apple have sort of monopolised the portable music industry, shutting out any competitors they may offer a better alternative...

and i wasn't having a go at anyone just to be clear! i also love a good argument and sorry if i came across as personally attacking you nick, it was far from my intentions.

re the compressed vs uncompressed audio i have to disagree. being an audio engineer i would have to say on any half decent hi-fi equipment or headphones it would be possible to pickup compressed music over an original just as you can tell a (brand new) vinyl recording over a cd. it all comes down to dynamic range. now i understand that an ipod is for listening to music on the go but who hasn't seen someone running a dock into a stereo at a party etc!?

i guess i do live in my own little world sometimes in regards to audio... last post in here as im way off topic!

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

the poor quality audio components in an ipod would be the weakest link over a compressed audio file if its 160kb
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

All good, didn't take it personally. I just think sometimes people shun compressed music when really, for me personally it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

few points to make.

firstly the non drag and drop of an ipod is due entirely to dmr. It sucks, its the gheyest thing ever, but its also over 60% of their income.

secondly, creative still make excellent mp3 players, i recently bought a 120gb for my father with really clear colour touch screen and stuff for $175.
    Has significantly better sound quality than my nano, easier to use UI, drag and drop etc, can use as an external hdd.

thirdly i was given a nano as a present from my brother, thing broke after 1 week and i literally used it about 4 times. Reasearched the problem online couldn't find any answers. Turns out apple makes websites to push such complaints off the first few pages of google. I went to the apple genuine forums. I basically said " i have problem, whats the solution" my topic was deleted every 15 minutes by some guy on the forums whos job must basically be damage control. Every complaint or question about an error or fault was deleted so the forums were a collection of praises.

THAT IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

took my ipod to get replaced at the show my brother bought it from, the guy didnt even test it, just said, yeah we get this all the time. He was explaining to me that apple repairs previously failed and repaired ipods, re skins them and sends them out again. So 1 out of 6 ipods is not "new" it could be a hdd that has had 2 previous owners. I researched this further and it appears to be 100% true.

Which is pretty ghey.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I don't know if I would trust anything that wasn't completely solid state anyway. With true 120GB solid state disks (SSD) coming very soon, it would be worth trading in your "mini hard drive" appliance and grabbing a true SSD portable device.

I have never had a problem with genuine solid state iPods yet

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

either have 5 other people i know.

where apple gains ground is from people that dont research their purchases, like when i buy anything electrical i research for days on end, my phone took like 3 weeks of research.

people just walk into a store and go that looks flashy, i guess I can afford that.

solid state is the future, will be awesome for two reasons,
    firstly its going to bump down the price of disk drives,
    secondly going to shrink a few things and make them way more reliable.

all the things apple makes are always good products with one or two vital flaws. Other companies might have flaws but you can put up with them.

things like missing usb plugs, biggest flaw on my ipod is you cant listen to music while its charging for two reasons. Also the way I drive it changes songs by itself all the time.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i am looking forward to solid state drives becoming reasonable priced.

be good to use one as a system drive on my pc, get pretty epic speeds.

Be intersting to see what companies come up with new devices that use them.

the fact that you cant listen to ipod while its charging isnt such a big deal, if i have it plugged into pc charging then my pc is on...with all my music on it anyway.

i am like you driftke70 with the researching of products, i read every review, watch every walk through video. and if you are like me you cannot stand salesppl that are trying to change your mind when you go to buy it! i guess online shopping is good to avoid that.

what is cool with ipods is the car CD players that have ipod control, though its the same as the ones that you can plug in USB flash drives i guess. though i just run mine with the AUX jack on the back of CD player, works pretty good.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

what phone did you get beally?

Banned

lol i got an ipod years ago for xmas and within 30mins of owning it, it stuffed up i think i ejected it without doing it properly. I never got it fixed. now just sits in a box in my cupboard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast