Thread: car running too cold what the hell

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Default car running too cold what the hell

hey guys a little while back i had my bt 20v over heating i have sence done research and sam q has helped me out on how to run the cooling system, i have run my cooling system exactly the way sam q has said and also ran the bypass from the top of the water pump to the top rad hose, my issue is around town and at idle it sits at a perfect temp of about 80 deg, as soon as i start to drive or around town it drops to 70 odd deg, but if i hit the high way she will drop to 45 to 50 deg which is shit. now i have a koya alloy rad, ive checked the thermostat and replaced that with a new one no issue there.i have sence put a welsh plug in the top rad hose with a ten mil hole, this has helped as it sits a 80 deg for about 30min but then it starts to drop and eventually and hits 45 deg. i have just purchased an alloy pully kit with an under driven water pump pully, do you think this will help as im thinking the cars water pump is spinning too fast as my car sits on 4000rpm at 100klm as i have 4.7 diff gears?????
    any ideas on this

Bad Email Address

is the temp gauge taking reading in the right spot???. all symptoms suggest a stuck open thermostat but you did that??maybe radiator is too efficent and when the thermostat opens it gets a rush of cold water. maybe a hotter thermostat will help

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

damn 45 is cold as!!!

you sure your temp guage works well?

where is your temp guage sender located?
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

yeah its a new gauge vdo and its picking its temp from the rear of the head on the passenger side were the top rad hose is ment to come out of, the prob is at idle it sits at a perfect temp of 80 deg if i put a hotter thermostat in wont it over heat at idle or is this wrong????

Bad Email Address

sounds thermostat man. might be worth checking. did you use genuine one? im mechanic and refuse to use aftermarket because ive been bitten too many times.either dont open or stay open or too slow to react

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

yeah she not genuine as i work at autobarn . ill order one from toyota to cross this one out do i ask for anything particular or just a thermostat for an ae111 levin its a black top 20v

Bad Email Address

just get a standard one.even if it dont fix it its piece of mind and no fuck ups. i bought one for 7afe on weekend 35$ with o ring, why fuck around with the other shit? not worth the worry. im confident it will help if not let me know ,keen to help and find cause

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

thanks mate yeah ill let you know how it goes, hopefully this pully kit will turn up on friday and ill see whatbthat dose too

Bad Email Address

dont think slowing water pump will help,temperature is controlled by thermostat.do one repair at a time to eliminate one or the other.

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

yeah but if i travel at 60 70klm it sits at a good temp about 70 75 its when i start revin her above 3500 rpm it starts to drop alot, ill do one at a time and let you know what happens

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast