Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The What Phone Thread.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

apparently it makes a small difference but still terrible.

Can any of the guys that own them make any comments on battery life?

In this article () the dude says:

Simply put, the battery sucks. It’s a deal breaker. I’m really sorry to say that, too. In fact it hurts me because I wanted this phone so bad, but the battery life is horrible. The phone will lose a third of its battery sitting overnight with the GPS, WiFi, and 4G turned off. Even with Advanced Task Killer set to aggressive and auto killing apps every hour, the most I can get out of the phone is about ten hours.

Take yesterday: I pulled it off the charger at 9 am, checked my mail and ESPN a couple of times during church, used the GPS navigation for 13 miles, and then checked my mail a few times throughout the afternoon while I was at a family event. The phone died promptly at 6 pm. It’s that bad.

I’ve tried a few different things like using a static background rather than a live background, turning off widget animation, disabling WiFi/4G/GPS, and setting Advanced Task Killer to aggressive. Nothing makes a significant difference. The phone just sucks the battery dry.
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 20th June 2010 at 01:02 AM.

Name
    Novak
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Guys, you need to remember somthing here. THe HTC evo has the largest screen and one of the smallest dimensions out of all the smartphones on the market. Not only that but it allows for FULL multi tasking (unlike apples 'implementation'). If you really think you are going to get 10 days of battery you are mistaken.

There is also a point of needing to "run" the battery in. As it is a Lithium battery, it requires many complete powercycles, (full battery to almost dead) before the battery life can be judged. As with the desire phone (FYI there is plenty of banter on this @ whirlpool.net.au) it didn't even last a day at the start, after 3 weeks of owning its consistently up to 3 days with large wifi and gps usage and always on 3g.

Also with any smart phone owners, even iCraple, know that you are not going to get the battery life of your nokia 5100 (for you guys that are old enough to have owned one of them). I have a car charger for when using gps and tunes in the car and usb cable for at work and I have never run out of battery on my desire. EVER!

OK, back to Nick here. Do you want a smart phone? Or just a normal phone with the obligatory mp3 player and decent camera (recommend Sony Ericsson there)? Or maybe just a phone that you can make calls on without the bells and whistles???
    --- All your base are belong to Phil Bradshaw!!! ---
    `
    <<< blog >>> build thread<<<

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i dont know if id get a sony

and 9 hours for the first few weeks is pretty reasonably with the hdmi res and stuff gav.

mine was around that when i first got my phone and is in the region of 4 days now.

he was also using it pretty heavily, gps saps battery life, you pretty much need a power cable in your car if you are going to be using it.
    Most navigators last like 4 hours without the cord, the fact phones last longer is feat in itself.

Get some decent reviews when the thing hasnt been out for a week.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

I have a N97 and have had nothing but issues, the apps in it are shit house, cost too much and most of the time dont even work. takes ages to open the link you want, even trying to touch to click is a pain (have to touch many times to get it to work) if your on the internet and you just looking around on it BANG it disides to close it for no reason at all whilst your viewing a web page! Nokia have lost there shit and are going down hill unless they pull something out of there ass!

Should of got an Iphone
    R&D Mechanical, Seaford SA - please visit www.rdmechanicalshop.com
    Our introduction - Click here

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i have none of those issue, you are doing something wierd man

most of the apps, all the ones you want are free

you can download huge app packs off torernts for free,

my internet is fine

i find the screen fine

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

have you got v21?

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Whats v21? i think mine might need an update of some sort? im not sure
    R&D Mechanical, Seaford SA - please visit www.rdmechanicalshop.com
    Our introduction - Click here

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i also have n97 and had one or two issue in the last 12 months but a single software update fixed em all and mine is sweet

do a software update and you should clear up all those issues

Name
    gay
    State
    n1gger land
    Country
    south korea seoul

lol i remember i had a sony c905 like the month it was released.
    duirng my first year of ownership it had these problems:

camera flash exploded when i taken a photo.
    a software error made the phone unable to recieve volume in calls, you had to use loudspeaker all the time to hear.
    the 6 key became hard to use
    so did the 8 key.
    the slide broken.

im pretty sure it had a couple of other problems. but i forget now.
    in short, i am VERY reluctant to buy another sony phone, despite it being the most simple, easy to use and have great features.

it was awesome tho, no lag, i could type chinese and english without having to change the phones languages, the camera was fuckin awesome. so much good stuff... shame about the huge amount of problems it had.
    lol at white people in japan. just lol.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

v21 is a software update, can do it either through your phone or pc, just go to
    menu/applications/sw updater and check for new software then install it.
    or go to pc suit and once your phones connected via usb just click software update.

makes scrolling smoother, everything way faster, browser loads quicker than the quick it already was.

I HATE capacitive screens. My girlfriends icon hd has cap and i have resistive, with resistive you can click on such smaller details,
    like my brother has a htc desire, and if you just want to move the cursor over like one letter it takes you like three attempts,
    the n97 you just use your finger nail and its so precise, and if you dont like that youve got a full dpad to scroll around with.

the motorola backflip looks pretty cool but i dont like the idea of the keyboard being exposed all the time.

if i were to get a new phone it would be a n8 nokia. Basically all the goodness of my n97 that i love but with faster processor, bigger clearer screeen, multi touch (overrated) and a badass camera, full hd video, hdmi output. Has capacitive screen though which i dont think i would like,
    and no full physical qwerty keyboard is lame, used touch keyboards on about 5 different phones and i dont like them. My phone has the option to use it but physical buttons are so much better in my opinion.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast