Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal 3sge (inc Beams) into AE/KE thread

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

And what about the W57 to 3sge bellhousing?
    ke_70 said I have to use a 2y or 3y bellhousing, which one is it? And what exactly has to be changed on the bellhousing? Bolt pattern on box side? or engine side? Or both?
    Because I assume it isn't a straight bolt in.

Plus another, perhaps challenging, question for the tech experts...Apparently it is also possible to use a S1 bellhousing from a certain early model toyota (rwd or 4wd) has anyone heard of this before?
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Ryan
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Is there any reason why people aren't just using the factory j160 6 spd? Unless you're going for some big power figures it should be plenty strong, and it certainly makes fitment straight forward.

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Depends on what you find straight forward, I believe the shifter position of the 6spd is way out of the original position.
    My reason is that I already have a W57 under my car and prefer the gear ratios above the 6 speed.

But anyone that can help me with my questions?
    ADM AE86 Levin

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Straightforward, if you're cool with tearing your trans tunnel up and making a new one (correct me if i'm wrong BEAMS kids).
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    Ryan
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

The shifter is a remote one, and it has two mounting positions built in. Only takes 15 mins to swap and your shifter will be a good 2-3 inches forward.

I can't speak for you trans tunnel as mine is in a Ra23 celica, but my J160 fits into the same space as my old W50, and with moving the shifter above the stick is not significantly further back. The factory W50 was fairly tight to begin with and the j160 still fits, even with the motor crammed closer to the firewall.

The j160 is by no means a large gearbox, its quite comparable in size to the w series boxes. Perhaps people are confusing it with the v160 getrag 6 spd from the supra, which is a massive bastard. Bill Sherman has the auto altezza box under his Ae86, and the manual isn't really any different in size.

On the whole 3s to W series issue, there should be plenty of info on toymods, both the new and old forums, that could help you out.
    Last edited by Major Clod; 11th June 2011 at 08:35 AM.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

It's 3/4Y BH out of the Tarago. Use the fork that comes with it, and a double row spigot bearing. The mods to it are all engine side, once you have the bellhousing in hand you'll see how it's off. Some welding and redrilling and your good to go.

To get the motor & trans to fit with NO modifications (& no hammering, in my case), it's easier to use the W58 which has a steeper bell housing profile that tucks into the stock tunnel nicely. Compared to the J160 which has a shallow profile and would require hammering OR a new tunnel, depending on how/where you mounted the motor and if you space the crossmember down. It's not a 'width' issue, it's the initial height coming directly back from the motor.

It can be done either way, even shoving the shifter to the forward position requires modification to get the shifter through the floor IIRC. At least, if you want to keep having your front swaybar. If you don't mind no front swaybar (or making a custom setup) then you'd be able to get the shifter up through the stock hole.

The guys that built this did it that way from what I can see. And also according to a guy who talked to them at a show at TORC, they couldn't figure out how to make a stock swaybar work with the motor swap... .

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 11th June 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Name
    Glenn
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

cant understand the 52mm quad throttles .way too big for a std motor
    i did some tests a couple of years ago with 3 different sets 1st set 45mm 2nd set 48mm and last set was 50mm
    the best result was the 48mm up to 7600 rpm ,these were also much better than the black tops made .
    the 48 made more torque and power over the 45mm every where
    the 50mm start to over take the 48mm from 7600 rpm onwards

Name
    Aram
    State
    Noord-Holland
    Country
    Netherlands

Hi guys,

First post for me but I've been reading here for a while now.
    Great topic btw, lots of info that I have used!

I modified the the subframe and have no issues with the tunnel whatsoever.
    The engine sits in the bay with about 10mm clearance everywhere, also the firewall.
    But I chose not to modify anything, if you want to balls out you could move the engine back 10/20mm, but then you would have to modify the firewall and make the shifter hole directly through the reinforcement beam in the interior.

I could not use the stock swaybar it was about 25mm short so I had one made.
    But I still could not use the stock shifter hole, it is more than 50mm off.
    So I don't think it is possible to use the stock hole unless you mount the engine through the radiator.

Aram.

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

What radiator are you running? You can fit a hyundai excel one which, IIRC, is thinner than the stock one
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

an evo 6 is the radiator to use. its alittle tricky to mount into an ae86 but doable.

Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast