Name
    Bill
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Setup ae86 with sr20 or s13 with sr20

Hey Guys,

Just helping a mate out with a build, blew his bottom end in his 7age.
    So we found a low k's half cut for $2.5k and bought it, and bought modified cross members from a place that does it in S.A. Basically it sits low and far back as possible and doesnt touch the firewall, but of hammering in the tunnel, custom tailshaft to f series diff.

Since the s13's are cheap as now days, is it worth converting your ae86 to run more power with a sr20det ? Will a ae86 outhandle a s13 running a same sr20det setup, both ae86 and s13 will be running greddy coilovers. I know a 7age ae86 is just so chuckable, change lines easy and still have good control at the limit. I want to know how much the characteristics will change when you add sr20det and how it will compare to a s13 with sr20det.

People who have this setup , please give feedback.

Sensible replies please.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Christian
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

It really depends on how the two cars are set up. An AE86 with only greddy coilovers and an SR20 will be totally crap. You need to do quite abit of work to an 86 to make it able to handle the massive increase in power and torque. Check out other peoples build threads and see how they are building their cars, s14seriesII has a pretty good build thread, sure it’s not an SR20 but it’s still very relevant.

But as far as a comparison to an S13 goes, do you really expect to be able to come on the AE86DC and expect an informed and unbiased view?

Name
    Bill
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thanks mate for the mature response.

There will be a abit of coin spent on the suspension setup and rx-7 brake package in the 86.
    Just want somebody experienced preferred.

Is it worth doing a sr20det conversion into a ae86 or just go straight for a s13.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

We're talkin bout drifting right?

Also, coin on the suspension refers to cornerweighting the car and properly valved shocks, yeah?

Name
    Nick
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

look mate im currently putting a ca18det into my hachi and these are the types of things i researched before i decided t go in this direction. over all a ae86 will handle much better than a s13, i have owned both with very similar mods and found that the 86 just shit on the nissan when it came to handeling. But from the power side of things the s13 was better. cheap and parts are everywhere. there for came up with the ca18det into the hachi. the better handeling car with the more powerful cheaper engine.

OK next thing i looked into was the overall difference in wieght of the two different setups. the ca engine and gearbox was about 25kg overall heavier but who cares the power difference between the 4age and ca it doesnt matter. it has cost me 2250 to rebuild the ca and put it in with custom mounts. the f series set me 700 bucks. that is welded up buy a diff shop and mounts converted to 86.

Lol the only other thing that i can think of to save you money if your goin to be drifting is tyres. tyres are much cheaper in 14'2 and 15's than they are in lets say 17 inch and up.

good luck

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'm building my Sr86 atm.. at the end of the day..its it FAR cheaper and easier to just start with an s13.. wheather its a better package is debaitable..

My freind has an s13 with rb25.. basically stock with a big turbo pushing nearly 400whp.. has shit suspention shit wheels Stock lock.. basically everyhting is SHIT and its still slides.. He slides heaps better than 90% of the other cars out at the track when we go and its no where near setup.. Its running cut springs and shit its that gangsta LOL..

All so tyres is a non issue.. 15 tyres. roughly 90+
    You can get Nuetons, reguarded as a good skid tyre in 17's for 80 a tyre if you buy a few at a time...

AE86.. lighter, sharper handeling, COOL.. Downside is lots of custom enginering ($$$) and time off the road.
    S13.. Cheap, easy to build, Downside.. Every fucker has one.. and Po Po magnet..

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think it's an awesome combination. Not much added weight, a fairly strong gearbox (especially in a light AE86), and an S14/15 blacktop SR has enough power for you to do low 12's.

Add an F/G-series diff, and some semi-decent suspension and you're on a winner. The purists will hate you, but that's life, can't please everyone.

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Enough power.... LOL you can NEVER have enough...
    3076 twin scroll coming for mine shortly HELLO Wheel spin in every gear.

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast