Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T18 vs AE71 Pedal Box - A photographic comparison + Explanation on making one fit

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default T18 vs AE71 Pedal Box - A photographic comparison + Explanation on making one fit

Well when I had both pedal boxes out I took some side by side photos for everybody because this question gets asked plenty.

In each of the photo's the T18 one is the more rusty of the 2.

What makes the 2 different is the fact that a T18 uses a steering box rather than a rack. As such the column is in a slightly different position. The brake pedal will interfere with the KE70/AE71 steering column and the steering column should still bolt up to the top mount but will be a little skewed.
    Last edited by Golberg; 9th June 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Name
    Dan
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

beautiful
    now everyone can be referred to this page!
    good thread.
    but it pisses me off when people assume your hooning cos your car is loud, has bald tires, a roll cage, fresh bake and dinted bumpers!!
    Or driving in a wolf pack.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Could someone post up a pic of an 86 pedal box too as a referance?
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the 86 one is completely different. its 2 separate pedals.

Name
    Adam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Here's a few photos of a modified T18 pedal box next to an AE71 box.

One on the left is the T18 one. The top bolts on the T18 one looks higher in the photos, but they're actually the same as the AE71 ones.

Not much has been done to make it fit from what I can see (I purchased the T18 box first (already modified to fit KE) then found AE71 the next day). It's just the top two bolts and the pedal.
    Previous ride: 4AGE powered KE70.

Current: JZX100 Chaser and '73 Datsun 240z.

http://twofortyzee.wordpress.com

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

this is a great thread but what about something like a TA22, RA40??
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

it must also be noted that i purchased the t18 pedal box off golberg

i then proceded to use the t18 pedals on an ae71 pedal box into my ke70

they fit pretty good, you just have to bend the t18 clutch pedal a bit or it catches on the steering column. the t18 clutch pedal is straight where as the ae71 has a kink in it already to avoid the column as can be seen in golbergs pics.

if anyone needs just the t18 pedal box (no pedals) ill sell it off for cheap!

i reckon you could just cut off the clutch part and weld it to a ke70 box and youd be set. but i coudlnt be stuffed doin that
    Last edited by ke70dave; 14th February 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If I was looking to solve this problem again, Id use an ae86 clutch pedal and mount, as its a little standalone unit. Id sit it next to an auto ke70/ae71 brake pedal mount with a manual brake pedal installed. No need to spend $200+ on a pedalbox from an ae71. You could get it done for $100.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default T18 pedalbox into ke70

The reason to do this conversion is so you can have a hydraulic clutch setup in your ke70

Start with a T18 pedalbox and a 4k KE70. First thing is to remove the lower steering column trim, then remove the steering column 2 main bolts just behind the column trim 17mm the 2 12mm on the firewall then the top 12mm on the universal joint and the 3 wiring plugs. The uni joint can be a c**t to get off and may need a chisel in the slot to pry it open.

Then the plastic trim around the instrument cluster which is screwed in the whole way round and std radio (pull knobs off and theres 2 12mm nuts) then 4 screws holding the cluster in. The speedo cable comes off with a little clip that you push in one end and releases the other and 3 wiring harnes plugs.

There is 4 12mm nuts on the brake booster and a split pin clip and a pin through the brake pedal and a return spring. There is a 12mm bolt holding the pedalbox directly vertical parallel to the brake pedal, there is a wiring plug for the brake lights that needs to be disconnected.

Now for the hard part, behind where the cluster was is a 10mm bolt holding in the wiring loom, then there is 4 12mm bolts 3 which are fairly accesible and one which is a c**t to get to because its behind an air duct and wiring loom, I used a lever to lever it out the way and ram a socket in to get to it.

Once everyting is out its easiest to pull the booster out a little and then lever the wiring out the way and reef the pedalbox out.

The t18 pedalbox has more steel plate aound the top 4 bolt holes which i chopped of the same size as the smaller section which traces its way round the bolt holes. I removed the clutch pedal for easier working.

I put the pedalbox in place as good as possible and traced around the fixed thread in the clutch master on the firewall then removed the pedalbox and drilled the hole out in the firewall. Then put the pedalbox back in place and marked out where to drill the centre hole and the other bolt hole for the master, in the firewall, take pedalbox out and drill/diegrind the holes out.

The pedalbox can now go in permanently then push the master back in and the clutch master in, clutch pedal in, i only put 3 of the 4 bolts in up the top cos it was easier which is dogey!! Everything can go back in as it came out.
    the ke70 steering column dosent line up in the centre of the provision in the dash with the t18 column mounts, (could use t18 steering column? looked different and would have to change keys and what not) so i just used the ke70 column and reamed the holes to make it fit in the groove, best thing to do would be to weld a plate on top of the origional mountings and re-drill the holes where they need to be to fit the best!

The clutch pedal hits the steering colum so i got the shifter out and bent it out wider so it clears now.

So the t18 pedalbox does fit kind of, to do the job exactly id use a AE71 box but to make a sh*t box ke70 work it did the job, Realisticaly its not a straight bolt in job and i wouldnt reccommend it to anyone who dosent have skills to overcome issues or tools to chop and drill.
    Last edited by FAST EDDIE; 3rd May 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    AE86 THE BEST

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Fast Eddie's post merged

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast