Thread: r31 rear calipers

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default r31 rear calipers

Hey guys does anyone know if the r31 calipers have internal handbrake drum brakes ??
    Last edited by reecegze; 4th February 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

lol the fuck?

calipers and drums are different types of brakes. if you mean the handbrake, aus del r31s use a ultra homo intergrated twisting style handbrake. theres a lever on the back of the piston, when the cable pulls on it it pushes the piston in. theyre prone to seizing up especially with a hydo handbrake so avoid using them. vb-vs coonadore calipers are the same but without the handbrake mechanism so if your making a diff or something and you dont need a cable handbrake, check them out.

HR31s have the internal drum style handbrake though but they are semi trailing arm rear

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i meant handbrake obviously you new what i was talknig about .. Thanks for the info

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Is there any possible modification i could do to upgrade to better brakes?? i dont wanna run the hydro handbrake but i want the rears to lock up aleast.. The r31 calipers cant do this! I am running a hilux diff with 5x114.3 pattern with r31 calipers for foot/hanbrake.
    I am looking for something like the r33 gtst setup with internal handbrake drums to fit onto my diff

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

weld a bracket on for another caliper on the opposite side and have a hydro line going to them, or find a set of calipers that have a decent handbrake, from memory i think mitsu magana ones are pretty good.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I am not wanting to use the hydro brakes.. i could easliy go that path i am wanting to lock up the rears without being illegal or running 2 handbrakes in a small sprinter..I am trying to find out what other calipers i could use on the hilux diff/hub/axles that will be an upgrade for the handbrake..I am aware the s13 and r33 skyline use the internal handbrake drum.. but what would be needed to convert mine to those.. Custom backing plate ?

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Do st141 backing plates bolt up to hilux diffs? They run internal shoes for the handbrake and 280mm discs.......

Name
    Brendan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

u can go hydro and keep your stock handbrake,

my suggestion is make a bracket to hold a standard clutch MC behind your existing handbrake, drill small hole in the back of existing handbrake and run the mc off it, then when driving on the street u can pull the pin out and when on track u can make your existing handbrake act as a hydro aswell

mind you this is running as a twin caliper setup and will still be legal
    MY JZX83 (clicky)
    My Beams Powered AE86 SOLD (clicky)

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    Too bad im in the same town as dr1ft-p1g im pretty sure his mx83 is the coolest.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

As has been said, the R31 rear handbrake is a lever on the back of the disk brake caliper. It is a similar setup to the AE86 GTV/Apex, AE92 SX, and the front brakes of a Subaru L series. (They have the handbrake on the front!). And all of these brakes can have handbrake troubles, like the handbrakes just do not hold, or only locks one wheel. But, most of these problems can be fixed with proper adjustment and sometimes a minor overhaul. Yes, the R31 ones are a bastard sometimes when you just want to change the rear pads. Sometimes you just have to admit the job will take and hour, wind the pistons right out, spill brake fluid, make a mess etc. Sus it all out, and reassemble with grease.

And of course, back the handbrake cables right off. And only adjust them up again once everything else is done.

But if everything works, and you just want a small upgrade, I would think about using Subaru L front brakes. They look the same as AE86 rears, and a little bigger I think.

Name
    Adam
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

Hey reezegze,

Do you want it for parking or drifting?

Drifting theres nothing better than a hydro setup, however illegal though.
    Parking / Street use - Look on toymods. theres an upgrade using supra gear ma70 from what remember.

Other option is maybe using f-series end cups or commo end cup and using the matching brake gear. You will need to get them welded on - straighten diff- and bearing changed on the axel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast