Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flipping Leafs???

Default Flipping Leafs???

hello all!

Getting rid of my ke70 sedan for a wagon. Wanting to know how i can make the rear end suspension hard as a rock (setup for drift - Track and serious street). It will be running sierras but am unsure what to do about springs. I heard you can flip the springs to get a nice height (Details?) or add lowering blocks and 4 Links to make it rigid?
    Any info would be great from all you wagon sliders out there!

Thanks,

Alex

Name
    Clinton
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

get rear coilovers.

FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmate View Post
    I love how all the SA boys get on board
    Quote Originally Posted by Konakid View Post
    im driving out there with new hydro setup
    Quote Originally Posted by myke90 View Post
    haha i have the exact same picture from when i got my sportmaxx lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    whats with the drift rings? i know they are just a novelty but do they represent or signify anything?

Well yeh, If i had that cash lying around.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

basically flip the whole leaf pack around, it mounts exactly the same on the body side but the diff has to move up about 2 inches to mount again
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    FirstName
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

You can flip the main leaf but the best way is to get the ends re rolled, or the arc of the spring inverted so that the spring still works on the same arc as original but the car sits lower. This helps to ensure that the shackles still operate correctly. Either of these options mean you will need to get it done at a spring works and that your main leaf will go over the top of the shakle bush instead of below it.

If you go with coil overs be sure to reinforce the upper mounting points because they won't be designed to take the full weight of the vehicle and your shocks will end up breaking through the body work.

I also wouldn't be too concerned with making it too stiff in the rear, soft can help transfer weight over the rears, a good set of shocks should be all you need.

i believe adding a leaf can make it stiffer, it will also make it higher, so get them reset afterwards.

i have seen helper springs, which is a thick leaf that you can put in, i think there made for utility vehicles but i heard of someone putting them in a ke20 and it turned his rear end into hard as a rock. i'm not sure where to find one though

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Getting it rock hard is easy. Just add extra leaves.

Short shocks are no needed, as that is no longer the thing that limits travel. Standard length or slightly shorter are going to work as well. You will be more interested in getting adjustable shocks, something that can match a very stiff spring.

Getting it low is easy. Either lowering blocks and long U bolts. Or flip 1 or several leavs upsidedown.

The hard bit... getting a combination that will not axle tramp under power, yet be soft enough to give some grip and ride, and shocks to match.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

People always get axle tramp with leafs to start will. As a band-aid, they stiffen the pack with extra leafs. And adjustable shocks help a lot also. Adjusted right, not too stiff or too soft. Too stiff can be very bad.

The proper way is to leave your soft leaf pack (which is probably stiff enough if you compare it to a coil), and use tramp rods. Guys in old Corollas doing rally often end up with a stockish soft leaf pack. But in rally I don't think you are allowed to add tramp rods, so one trick is to clamp the front of the leaf pack together tight, so this effectively acts as a control arm and resists tramp/twist. The rear half of the pack then does the springing. Another better way is to get rid of the leaf pack, and go to a single custom leaf. A guy in Melbourne will make this for you with your specs.

With Rick Bates and the TRD HiLux ute trick show (whatever it's called), they actualy softened the springs all round. The HiLux rear leafs are too stiff to start with.

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Where are you located mate, I would be more than happy to show you the set up in my Panno if your in Melbourne.

Mine have been custom made by Hitek in Lilydale, low and stiff.

Someone mentioned flipping the WHOLE LOT, whilst this would get desired results, it seems it can be done in a E7 unless you cut part of the "spring mounts" so to speak, which would weaken them.

Dont use lowering blocks if your intending on sliding it.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

My recommendation is to either -

a) if you can afford to have your car off the road for a few days, remove rear leaf springs, take to spring manufacturer and have them reset and an extra leaf added.

b) if you can't afford to go without your car, go get some leaves from a picky wrecker and do the above.

Reset + stiffened leaves > lowering blocks > flipping.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast