Thread: PWR Radiator

Name
    Brent
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default PWR Radiator

Hey guys I just got a PWR radiator for my AE86 running a 4age, I just wanted to know if anyone else has used one of these and if so have you had any problems fitting them thanks.

Name
    Akio
    State
    Other
    Country
    Japan

yes, and no probs fitting. small issue with the crappy non-pressure cap it came with but other than that no issues at all.

mine is a custom jobbie i bought used, and works fucking brilliantly.
    Last edited by xero; 25th August 2010 at 10:01 AM.

Name
    Brent
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hey mate thanks for that, if I can ask what was wrong with the pressure cap? and should I be looking at getting a stant cap. When you say yours was a custom job it wasnt ment to be a direct replacement with standard mounts?

Name
    Glenn
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

i have one in mine, its all good never had any issue
    2013 Toyota 86 GTS 4U-GSE
    1983 Toyota Sprinter AE86 4AGTE
    1967 Toyota Corona 1600S Coupe RT51 4R

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I had an s13 one in the carina. Loved it but it blew a hole twice as some dicky used 2 different coolants in it. Use the stocko pressure cap but you have to be forcefull when putting it on.
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Chris
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

What do you mean by non pressure? As in 0.9 bar or something? I never understand why people want to run high pressure caps (especially with larger then stock radiators). The whole idea of the cap is to blow when too much pressure is run through the radiator (to prevent damage to the radiator itself or the engine). I've seen a whole heap of radiators blown up because people decide to run high pressure caps (their cooling systems had issues).

Name
    Akio
    State
    Other
    Country
    Japan

it was D-spec cap from just jap. there was a pressure cap on it originally but it went missing, so when i bought the rad the D-spec cap went on. it was a normal fitting cap but only had a rubber seal on it, so it was most likely for a header tank (like an overflow bottle, but you fill the header tank instead of the rad when the rad is mounted lower than the water outlets on the engine).
    anyway thought it should be ok, but it wasnt. as heat and pressure built up in the system the coolant would start spewing out the overflow bottle and at one point i lost all the coolant in the system.
    after that i got one of the stant ones from PWR and never had an issue yet.

actually tell a lie, had the same issue on 2 seperate PWR rads. the fucking drain plug is a plastic peice of shit! on mine and my G/F's MX5 PWR rad they both snapped off when trying to undo them.
    but it was just a matter of getting another one for the local radiator shop.

by custom job i mean i dont think it was specific to AE86. i got the one out of the dirty ibis and its a twin pass core with vertical end tanks instead of horizontal. it was designed to sit a lot lower than i have mine, but all i did was swap the upper mounts (they were Z shaped and bolted to the factory bolt holes on the rad support) to the bottom and had them sitting on the factory rubber mounts.

as above it was just a normal cap with a rubber seal for most likely a header tank. there was no pressure spring on it what-so-ever so the overflow line would fill quite quickly when the coolant warmed up and all the pressure had to go so where!
    no offence here foamy but how many of those "blown up" radiators were the factory ones or aftermarket ones? why didnt a hose blow first? as they can only take so much pressure before popping and obviously not "blowing up" a radiatior.
    i think your also missing the point of a high pressure cap too. a high pressure cap is a bit like a wastegate as once it gets to a certain pressure it opens up and allows release of pressure to the overflow/header tank so you dont get "blown up" radiators.

Name
    Chris
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Blown ones were everything from OEM to aftermarket (all the aftermarket ones were of decent quality). If they had blown (and by that I mean bowed out of shape, leaking from around the crimps) obviously the hose pipes hadn't come off.
    I'm not missing the point of a high pressure cap, I'm saying a lot of cars run a cap which will release pressure long after damage has been done to the radiator.
    At any rate, I'm sure most people here would rather a cap blow off then a hose pipe

Name
    Brent
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey guys thanks for all your replies I was just checking it wasnt just my radiator, but the PWR is not a dirrect replacement as it does not fit behind the front radiator support. I am now sending PWR accurate dimensions so hopefully if someone else orders one it will be spot on and be a direct replacement.