Thread: random little projects

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Default random little projects

Bought this silvia at an auction for cheap to replace my daily driver corolla. It's SR manual, has a working vlsd some whatever lowered suspension, tig welded 2.25 or 2.5 304 (i think) exhaust with a 4" tip.

Shitty paint on roof

Uncracked dash! ended up being more a picture of the wall and the trees than the dash.

Motor's caked up inside and the bottom end, maybe top end too makes funny noises so I thought I'd buy another motor and rebuild it. Probably shoulda got another NA motor and left it at that but instead I'm turboing it.
    Diesel oil's doing it's job and starting to clean the build up off.

My "engine building room"

Don't worry, I have an engine stand, that's just for disassembly. Block will go up on stand when it's all machined up and ready to assemble.

Motor number(S14SR) one needed boring which I didn't want to do just yet so I found another in spec block(S13SR) and using that along with the piston I got from lewisengines.

Went looking on ebay and a few forums for a cheap turbo/turbo suit rebuild but couldn't find anything. Me trying to cut costs on something that's meant to a daily driver and not cost me a lot, I decided to use the turbo that's been under my bed for close to a year. It's pretty big but whatever, couldn't find a t3/t4/t518z/td06/td05 for less than 500 bucks so using something I already have. Wasn't exactly 500 bucks but close enough. Only problem is it'll make more power than I wanted from this car.

Since the turbo's too big to fit where an off-the-shelf turbo manifold would put it, seems like I'm making a manifold. So I made this incredibly accurate drawing of an SR exhaust flange.

Turned that into a CAD file and sent it off to the watercutter. Should have a prototype flange tomorrow.

I'll get some pictures of the boost controllers for the turbo later.

Vertex knock-off front

Got m-sport sides as well, looking for a vertex/m-sport/chargespeed/maybe gp rear. Also got enough panels to do onevia as well but I'll see how it looks with silvia front with aero.

There's probably more stuff that I've forgotten about but that's all for now.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Here's s'more.

boost controller

flange test-piece

test fit left side: spot on!

right side: off by 10mm because I mirrored the left ports from the wrong line : (

After that, made corrections and final flange to be cut

Manifold coming maybe soon. Water cutter goes on holidays today until 20th so I either find someone else to cut it or wait for them to get back. I should probably sort out an ECU before I make the manifold.

Name
    Filip
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

nice work man.
    and lol at the incredibly accurate drawing

+2 I like the boost cont also

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Whats that ADC tester thingo you got. I need one.

Cool project tho. These days we'd just about buy anything for cheap and build it. Bet this will turn out far better than what you planned.
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

The ADC thing is a PIC chip taking an input from the potentiometer simulating a MAP. not really, but just making sure the ADC is working, I fried the ADC circuit in the old chip. The screen and LED are just for diagnostics, I hate working blind. The LED switches on when the 'MAP'/pot. goes into vacuum. since I couldn't get the LED working and the servo to move off a single lm7805 v-reg. I ended up rigging up the 4A power supply which powers the screen and servo. Yeah, so back to the screen, ADC is just the raw 8 bit value that the ADC sees on the MAP pin. The second value is where the servo is being told to go to. When it's all packed up and going that servo will controller the actuator arm on the turbo to control the boost ramp rate, but not the actual boost level. That's what its meant to do anyway, dunno if it will manage until its in testing. If the servo moves fast enough with enough torque WITHOUT melting, it'll be sweet.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think ill stick with the calculator for now.
    85' JDM TA63 GTTR sedan - Godlike
    89' JDM GZ20 Soarer - 1jz + R154 bus

Quote Originally Posted by joeschmo_57 View Post
    I tried to sell my virginity yesterday in a pub. Shame it was second hand anyway

Name
    Rowan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

this will be interesting to see how it goes, your turbo looks like its off a cummins truck engine possibly a M11 EGR? not to sure as i dont see to many of these at work i like your set up to control the VGT.
    ST-141 CORONA

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

close but good guess, it's not that big though. It's a holset off an 07 dodge ram 3500(6.7 cummins). M11 runs a HE551VE?
    The servo set up should control a internal gate flap fine but can't really get an area on the exhaust deflector to use in calculations so unsure of if it will be strong enough or not.

If not gonna have to go pneumatic and ball and spring valve.

Name
    Rowan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

"The servo set up should control a internal gate flap fine but can't really get an area on the exhaust deflector to use in calculations so unsure of if it will be strong enough or not."

are you talking about the sliding nozzle ring inside the exhaust housing do you need measments of it?
    ST-141 CORONA

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast