Thread: nearly there but what next?

Name
    Brendan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Red face nearly there but what next?

hey guys, I've just about got all my shit together for my 4a swap in my ksev, but I need some advice on suspension/diff setups.

What I'm going for is a near standard height with a set of coilies up front, with the falcon springs in the rear. I know I need either siera or commodore short stroke shox in the rear but which commodore or siera? What model falcon springs work? I've got a pair of xe lowered kingsprings. Would these work?
    I'm thinking about upgrading to a hilux diff purely because I have one already and I don't want to weld or blow my standard one.

What coil over setup works well in the front without putting to much track on?
    Does the hilux diff fit ok under a ksev?
    Also how much does a t or f series diff fetch these days?

Sorry if I don't make much sense as it's 3am at the mo :s

Peace out hombre's

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

there was a t-series for sale in vic for around $200, they go for a similar price all over the joint. a hilux diff fits fine but you of course need to make custom mounts

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if springs are about the same diameter as the standard ones then they will "work".. a spring is a spring.

sierra shocks = WAY TO SHORT
    commodore shocks = good length and valving, part number 343113

hilux diff will be overkill for a 4a, but if you alreay have it then i guess you might as well chuck it in....youll need custom mounts and a custom tailshaft.

coilover setup does not govern the amount of track the car has. track is governed by LCA lenth and wheel size.

standard ae86 LCA's with ae86 coilovers will give you zero track change.

"Sorry if I don't make much sense as it's 3am at the mo :s "

and if you know its not goin to make any sense...why post it... surely it can wait till a time when you have time to ensure that it does makes sense.

good luck

Name
    Brendan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

haha yeah I'm a spur of the moment kinda guy lol.

Thanks for the part number on the shox :-) makes my life easier.

Yeah just wasn't sure about the coilover deal, I believe that an s13 setup requires s13 lca's being used creating more track. Will an 86 or s13 coilover setup be high enough? I want the handling without the attention from the 5-0.

Thanks =D

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

once you see how crap your car will look once youve spent a bunch of money on suspension parts but retaining stock height, you will want it lower.

so just get lower springs/shorter shocks now? lol.

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The shocks being mentioned are commodore wagon shocks, they are common accross most commodore wagons that you will find in a wrecking yard.

Do you have all the skills and equipment in order to be swaping the mounts onto a hilux diff? Its not easy, and you need to build a jig to get it all lined up and 100% and then also be able to weld well enough to join the mounts on securely. If you can't do that then don't waste you're money paying somebody to do it all. You'll soon realise that buying a T series will probably cost you a quarter of what it would to set a hilux diff up would be.

Hilux diff is also stupidly heavy for a 4AGE KE70.

Name
    Brendan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

haha yeah im sure it will look fairly crap with standard height still but the cops here are canary happy... the plan was'nt to build a nice looking car, just a fun to drive car

my car would be drivable by now but ajps took nearly two weeks just to send a stupid tailshaft that should have taken 2-3 days max

VPW also sent me a surge tank that was damaged (bottom outlet out of round and dented in slightly, top return to tank also dented)

good help is just soo hard to find these days...

hilux diff will be easy as my mates and i have a workshop with all the tools we need to do it

thanks for letting me know the shox are for wagons aswel much appreciated

aight thanks boys for helping me out