State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default 3rzfe into an AE86

CAR - AE86
    MOTOR - 3rzfe
    USE - Road/track
    PROBLEM/QUESTION - Just picked up a 3rzfe with gearbox and computer. Am looking at fitting to one of my AE86s. Has anyone done this conversion recently? Just trying to find out any pitfalls etc on this conversion, or any genuine help. Have done a search but could not find anything helpful on this forum, or other forums.

Have done many conversions into AE86s in past (1uz, 1ggte, 1ggze and 4a-ge/ze/te) so please only facts.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

There was a very short writeup on Toymods by a guy who'd put one into a KE55 (long ago... maybe even the old forums)?? He claimed it was pretty straight forward. Height seemed to be the main issue from memory.

But if you have the motor and a car then a few evenings with an engine crane should answer most of your questions.

Hen

Stern but now fucked off...
    Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Awesome conversion Idea.

They get big numbers out of the forced 3RZ-FE

They aren't a really "revvy" engine out of the box, and I think that supercharging would be the best approach for one of these if you wanted it to be forced induction for the track.

I have a 3RZ in my ute, and I can see great potential

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

As Hen said, I have never seen, but heard that into a KE (possibly that same 55) the height is the only real issue.

Name
    Jim
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks guys. I will be picking up the engine this weekend so haven't measured as yet.I found some pics of one in what looked like a t18, and there is a well advertised 3rz in a s14 or s15 putting out over 600hp. From what I have researched, there is lots of gear in the states for these motors, and they get heaps of power out of a standard engine(400hp +) as long as you keep boost to under 9psi, and you keep revs to under 6500. I like the idea of the torque of these suckers normally aspirated also. I stumbled over an interesting fact when enquiring about the $2000 new 3rzfe bare motors that are advertised for sale. They are actually a 3rzfe built under licence in china for toyota.

It seems that some people are getting 1000hp from a built 3rz in the states, remembering these are actually bigger than an RB26TT and 1jz.
    As far as height etc is concerned, bonnet mods, crossmember spacers and even dry sumping are all options, And ive done them all before so shouldnt be a problem.

It appears the w56 gearbox they use are the same as a w58/7, which is what I use behind the 1ggte and lexus, I will probably use a G series diff like I have with the lexus as it is easy to get more brackets laser cut. The f series diff will probably work also but I have never used these.

Will keep you posted when i get the measuring stick out.

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

This is a 2rz in an ae86. They are a little smaller than the 3rz.

I think a few guys in the U.S are doing this conversion a fair bit. I think the main issues will be the height of the motor and the sump.
    Quote Originally Posted by marvis View Post
    I also like sportmaxx and incorrectly placed/applied hangrings.

Stern but now fucked off...
    Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Word around the campfire is that the stock 3RZFE bottom end is good for up to about 700HP

The factory 3RZ-FE ECU also has built in capability for running a supercharger

There is a genuine TRD supercharger kit available for the 3RZFE for $10K

When you source your engine, get it out of a hilux with the chassis number starting with a "J" (Japanese Built) not an "M" (malaysian built).

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

there is also a problem of rear sump or front sump?

and the height i believe is the main sticking point.
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Brad
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

How much do they weigh?

Name
    Jim
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Ok. Finally got the motor home. Gearbox is a W series box, W56 from what I am told. It appears to have an opening at the top of the bell housing that I am not sure about.
    I measured the height of the engine, from the bottom of the block, not the sump, to the highest point on the engine. This measurement ended up at 550mm. I quickly measured a 4age, and they came in at about 490mm. Which is a 60mm difference in height. Interestingly, the 3rz block is 50mm taller than the 4age block, even though it has about a 17mm longer stroke.

As for the weight of the engine, lets say that judging by how difficult it was to lift engine into a trailer, it's quite heavy. I'll get an accurate weight measurement as soon as I can track down a few bathroom scales.

I was quite impressed at how compact the engine loom was, and cant see any difficulties in fitting these engines into an ae86. The exhaust header seemed quite efficient also. The engine I have is a rear sump, so should fit quite easily.

Next step will be lowering one in, at which time I will post some pics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast