Thread: ANNUAL raod trip info and meeting point

Name
    Akio
    State
    Other
    Country
    Japan

Default ANNUAL raod trip info and meeting point

righto those of you coming on the road trip to SA post in here and this is what you will need to know.

- fill the tank
    - bring some sort of snacks to eat along the way. i dont mean a whole esky (beau im looking in your direction) just a couple of thinks like snakes or chips or some thing just to keep you going.
    - grab a couple of bottles of extra strength octane booster. so people with engines of a delicate nature (like mine) will have their full requirement of octanes.
    - tools. wont need a tool chest, but a decent socket set and spanners and couple of screw drivers will suffice.
    - small spares. race tape, electrical tape, maybe a couple of hoses and connectors, spare plugs, shit like that. wont need a full spare engine but if we could make it fit im sure it would get used.
    - walkie talkie/UHF radio. these are a god send on trips like this...

we will be meeting at liverpool macca's/Krispy Kreme's (orange grove centre) FRIDAY 22ND as its just a short drive to the M5 to head south west.
    we will be meeting at 630am, to leave at 7am SHARP.

i wont lie, its a bit of a drive taking about 15hrs, but it can be done and we will really need to press on without much piss farting about (sorry to be a cunt on this but we took 15hrs odd to drive to QLD in 08 due to much stuffing about and its was a much shorter distance)

so hopefully we should get there in time and get ready for the track.
    it has been suggested we get to the track early so we might have to get up early again...
    Last edited by xero; 13th October 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

good luck have a safe trip and come back with a million stories and pictures please!
    dose

Name
    Andy
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

couple of bits of (hopefully) useful advice:

mallala is approx 1 hour from where you are staying (assuming it's that place on glen osmond rd that i suggested) and you probably want to be there around 8:30am so yeah another early start!

if everyone tops up tanks at fuel stops it saves having stop again and again for fuel.

it is also worthwhile to buy a handheld UHF radio, makes convoys much nicer, and provides loads of entertainment for the Hay plain.

and as gay as it looks i'd strongly advise you all to get some shadecloth to cover the fronts of all your cars, as it's middle of the locust season and they will get stuck everywhere. if you make up a couple of sheets and keep one in the boot spare then you can change them over halfway if need be.

also buy a windscreen squeegy and some bug and tar remover that everyone can use because your windscreen gets covered in shit.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by slide86 View Post
    I will however take take the water from the washer bottle posted to a boat in the southern pacific....express please

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

looks like i might be able to make this xero can you pm me with your contact number so i can have a chat cheers
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

BT20v is making 300rwkw like i said i would without nitrous so now its time for some spray and see if she will run a 10s or less

Bad Email Address

get some kangaroo whistles to very useful for the long trips

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well, best of luck to you doing it in one hit - I just got back from doing this drive (albeit newcastle - adelaide) yesterday. I do a lap of the east coast (5000km+) 2 months or so with the band, and always split the Adelaide / Sydney drive half way at 'Hay'. You know, that axe murderer town? Yeah. Especially if there's only one driver per car in some situations. It'll be very hard work. I seriously recommend splitting the drive in two. Makes for relaxed drives and drinks to be had each night if that's your thing!

Also note that the Sydney - Brisbane up the pacific highway is notoriously long - the highway turns to a two lane shitter well before Port Maquarie - although the roadworks to make it a split two lanes each direction affair are under way, they slow you down too. I've done the drive 7 or 8 times in the past year, average is 11 hours, up to 14 if you're hungover / fuck around.

Never take the Hay plains at dusk or dawn. It's a kangaroo massacre, as I've nearly learnt oh so many times.

Stop at the Golden Grain Hotel in Pinaroo for dinner and enjoy the best $20 steak of your life (that is, if you take the Mallee Highway by hitching a left off the Sturt Highway just before Balranald, then on through tooleybuc / ouyen / pinaroo / lameroo / tailem bend) Taking the mallee offers some great scenery on the final run in, as the freeway comes in through the hills.

Also for fucks sake, have someone with a 'normal' mobile phone with a major operator so that someone will actually have reception on the highway should the shit hit the fan. Radios will negate this. Dick smiths $15 walkie talkies, anyone?
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Akio
    State
    Other
    Country
    Japan

cheers andy! will keep that in mind.

Name
    John
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

It will pay to be early as the weekend after is a state round, so practice may be busy, if cams cars are oversubscribed they will run in with non cams lic cars, so as Andy said get there early
    John
    IPRA KE25 Corolla S.A #25
    www.sharperto.com.au

Name
    Blake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i lost my liecene going to toyofest. now i cant go nor can afford to
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Id explain more but there people on here I dont like, and i want to see this shit on thsir supposedly awesome masterfully built but stock power making 20v
    bursting ovaries since 92'

Name
    Vener
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

Hopefully I will be going with my brother Virg on the next annual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast