Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gunners AC Dilemma

Gunner

Default Gunners AC Dilemma

So I have this dilemma, the re is no need to ask questions about the circumstances in which this dilemma has arisen, we just need a solution.

My mirage is hectic, and I drive it really fast all the time, constantly revving between 3000-9000rpm, because of this my AC cant keep up, it isn't designed to spin as fast as it does, and so, disengages the clutch, so when it is hot, which it always is this time of year, I need to underdrive it so I can keep cool while driving really fast in my hectic mirage.

I'm not a mathematician, nor am I an AC technician, so I need some help with 3 things;

How slow will an AC compressor compress at?

At what RPM is a compressor most efficient?

Can I achieve this rpm band by underdriving the AC compressor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

those questions are somewhat impossible to answer. you will need a data sheet on the compressor, which wont be very easy to get.

you could be tricky, and put a switch on your throttle, so when you hit say more than 80% throttle, the AC clutch turns off.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Maybe the compressor trigger wire goes via the ECU, and the ECU has determined by your driving inputs that you must be racing for pink slips and would therefore prefer the ac turned off.

Gunner

I want the ac on pretty much 100% of the time, excluding idle, I can keep it turned on thats easy, but it turns off at 4000rpm, which will not achieve what I want, if I can have it operational at say 8000rpm, I can achieve the result I want. But if its spinning that fast I dont think it would end well, hence why I want to underdrive it.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Make a larger AC pulley (or smaller crank pulley) and experiment.

PS, we need pics of the Mirage so we can judge how hektik it really is (on a scale from 1 to fooli). Of course, chrome rims give extra points.

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

why wouldnt you want it on at idle? thats exactly when you need it isnt it?

if the ECU determines > 4000rpm to be sports driving and hence needs ac turned off, it doesnt matter how under-driven the ac comp is, it will still turn off. you still need to let the aircon controller do its thing (turn the compressor on and off when it needs) so forcing it on wont work either but you should try and determine what else is stopping. could be a much easier fix than changing clutch pulleys etc (not a fun or easy job!)

It could be high pressure switch on the AC line stopping things due to the system being overcharged with gas.this fits with the hotter weather problems. many possibilities.

Gunner

Guys forget the story, the mirage is not hectic, come on do you really think it revs to 9k, theres no mivec v6 in there. I have a design where I need to refrigerate something at high rpm, it is that simple (not the process, but the reasoning), all I need to know is how to keep the fucker on and operational between 3000 and 8000rpm.

I'm sorry but I don't want to give to many details away, you never know whos watching

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

technicaly you wont your ac compressor as as little as possible, thought of a regas, if the system is working correctly, the compressor shouldnt need to be on all the time and if you really wont it on all the time supply power to clutch switch and it should engage, and leave it on 24/7. But i imagine pressures would get way to high

Gunner

Yes thats why I want to underdrive it.

forget about making the car cool, that doesn't matter, as its not why I want it on all the time.

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Refrigerated intake? Perpetual motion machine?

Whatever you are doing, you need to understand the cutout in question before you over-ride it. Theres no blanket answer without knowing that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast