Name
    Jess
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default 4 link question

Hi all

I have just put my deposit down for a set of 4 link channels off Kyouteki.
    Just would like to know do both upper and lower have to be the exact same length?

If this is the case can I use the lower arm of a ke70/ae71/ae86 and use them in the top for the channels??

Thanks
    jess

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

there is alot of variables when doing the equal length 4 link. biggest one would be ride height. you would get alot more out of this mod if you got adjustable trailing arms
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

lol, i find it funny that uve bought equal length boxes without understanding exactly wat they do/are for...

not exactly the kind of mod u wanna do without having any idea...

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

in the kyouteki add it also states the channels have the holes drilled perfect vertical, and therefore you really do need to have adjustable upper arms, as your pinion angle will change depending on height setting. which will impede the actual reason why you have a 4 link. adjusting the grip the rear end has based on upper trailing arm angle.

Name
    Vlad
    State
    Sacred Valley
    Country
    Peru

type "4 link suspension tuning" into Google and spend a couple of hours reading..

It will save you a lot of time and money later on-

Start here-

'

Name
    Jess
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hay delazy

Thanks for your input it sounds like you dont have the answer to my question.

To me it sounds like you dont mind sh#t canning ppl

Correct me if im wrong but this is the technical-question section of the forum.

i bought these to help out the forum sponsors and im going to be doing track work in my car and i thought i should buy these cos they might not make or sell any of these anymore after the group buy.

johl: thanks for your input.

thanks
    jess
    Last edited by tin can; 10th February 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I do not beleive it says anywhere that they are drilled perfectly vertical, for the simple fact that they are not.

You are correct however in respect to the fact that the length of arms is largely dependant on the height setting of the car. It is recommended that these are installed with the rear end assembled, with arms holding the channels in the correct position while the pinion angle is correct for the ride height. From here, once installed, varying the upper arm angle is best corrected (length wise) by adjustable arms, however is not necessary if installed correctly. I currently have modified upper arms in mine, and have adjusted from one extreme to the other with no great affect on pinion angle, obviously some slight affect, but not alot.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Considering that the standard upper and lower arms have such a difference in length, going to "equal length" arms, it is not going to matter if they are a different length by a few mm. It all depends on what you imagine is ideal and what you are trying to achieve.

It is fine to use another pair of standard lower arms in the top, if you are able to weld your channels with bolt holes in the exact spot needed considering pinion angle and ride height. Either way, the car will be able to be driven.

But if you have an idea about what pinion angle you want, then you will need at least 1 pair of adjustable arms, either for the top or bottom.

There is a huge amount of info on this in regard to drag racing, but they don't always use same length arms, or parallel arms.

If you do go to a equal length setup, I think it makes the car illegal for Improved Production racing and Targa rallys.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

initially when justin was planning this product, he definitely did mention the bolt holes would be vertical.

obviously you have a production version in your car. theyre not vertical. good

and yes, the 4 link makes the car illegal for alot of sanctioned racing classes you might want to enter. definitely illegal from IP. if we ever get around to having full D1 rules for our local drifting, then it might even be illegal for that too (but then i think some D1 cars have the equal 4 link, so could be wrong..)

but yes, agree with both above posts, if you install the channels with the car assembled and on some nice flat concrete, adjustable arms are not 100% necessary initially. as long as you read up a bit and work out what you want the pinion angle to be roughly.

its pretty simple though, point it down towards the front of the car no more than say 7*.