Thread: My crapy (for now) ae86

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Default My crapy (for now) ae86

This is my first thread and i thought id start by putting my hachi up and kindof introduce myself... So yeah, im Richard and loved the ae86 for as long as i can remember but from where i come from theres not much info on them and even less of the car itself...
    So as soon as i got to perth (where i live now) i saved up some cash and got me this! (see pics)
    Pretty bad condition i know, alot of rust and dodgey panels but nothing that cant be fixed...

engine's a 4age (small or big port, donno) needs some work as well but thinking of swapping for a ca18det, 3sge or gte, c how my wallet goes...

also got myself some cheap coilovers off ebay, look pretty flash but donno how theyll behave once they go in! brand is "megan", any of you had some experience with those?

plan is to source all the parts i need, strip it, fix all the rust, respray, put back together with new parts and while im at it, drop in the ca18 or rebuild the 4age then smoke rubber and scare any passenger that dare to adventure themselves for a drive...

also theres some pics showing the diff (dirty, very dirty...) if anyone could tell me what kind of diff it is, itll be much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	when i just got it.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	1577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	when i just got it 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	1578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	when i just got it 3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	1579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suspension.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	1580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suspension 2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	1581  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	1583  
    Last edited by gaspal; 10th February 2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: forgot the diff pics lol

Name
    Ash
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

how much did those coilovers cost you ?

how to you plan to weld the stub axle on ?

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Ah i remember this car from the cruise in 07, looks exactly the same (minus the wheels).

Its an S-series diff btw (8bolt)
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

for the coilovers, a friend of mine said he could weld the axles on for me koz im not good enough of a welder, gotta cut 50mm of strut up from the axles, slide it in the sleeve and weld... probly find a way to make sure its strong tho... cost me roughly $900 (had money at that time, probly a waste but gotta do something with em)

ok do S-series diffs have lsd? and can the drum brakes be swapped for disks?

sorry donno much about those diffs...

todd

nah lsd's are not available and neither are disc brakes for that diff in particular.
    if you are after disc brakes and a selection of lsd's then u would be looking for a JDM T series diff. theres plenty of info out there about ae86 diffs on this website and others.
    have a quick google/search and im sure u will find what ur after.
    goodluck with the project champ. good to see another 86 kicking about perth.
    cheers

Name
    Daniel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

You can also find a T-Series diff in a T-18, probly the cheaper option

there is a kit for the s series to go disc's but think its around the 1500 mark so better off jdm t series

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

thx for ur help guys! yeah i heard and read abit about the T18 diffs, gotta find one soonish...
    Now i know this has been asked and discussed alot before but i cant seem to find a decent thread about it on any website or forum, just some rnadom question-answers about it. what im after is more of a guide about what parts are needed, how much fabrication is involved and a rough estimate of the costs... the ca18det swap! if u know somewhere i could find some info or anyone whos done it that has a guide, itd be awesome, i know a few stuff already like using the RB20 gearbox with the ca bellhousing so that the gearstick hole doesnt have to be moved so much, im assuming the mounts would have to me made as well but not much other than that...
    any help would be cool guys, or even just pointing me in the right direction for research!