Thread: 180sx Vs AE86

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I have driven an s13 Silvia and an ae86 (jdm) and own a 4age ae71

It goes without saying that you will get a very different sensation from driving an s13 to driving an ae86, like for like. Mates s13 has king springs and some 17's on it and it felt very easy and stable to drive, as did the stock jdm ae86 I drove. My modified ae71 is a twitchy prick of a thing that slides all over the place and is generally a handful. But its a track car more or less.

If i was buying a car to track and daily, it would be an s series Nissan for sure (probably an s14). It boils down to what you are using the car for and what gives you the most driving enjoyment. If your not enjoying your car then who cares if its $10 a week cheaper in petrol....

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

geez you guys are slow. they made a freaking comic and anime over the ae86... clearly its better.

/thread

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

correction, that anime ur talking about refers to drivers, driving style, balls, then cars...

so in saying that...all cars are the same, just up to the driver

dont buy a better car, buy a better driving style and skills
    dose

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

chicks dig skills... Computer hacking skills, num-chuck skills......

As has been said above, both are good cars. But it is always better to make up your own mind. Don't just take other people's word for it, go out and try things yourself and develop your own opinion

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Jamie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

its really what you like to drive... i have owned both cars and the 180sx is far better for a daily drive, easier to source parts for and has the reliability required to get you to work and back everyday. 86's are lighter, more agile and i presume they must be great fun to slide. however, in comparison, i see that the 180 will please you more for a daily drive turbo vehicle. good luck and either car is a great jap choice.
    Current Track Hack - Nissan 180sx

Job - Full Time Mechanic ... Hobby - Helping Fozz

オーストラリアの独立ドリフト学会

mx_jay_862@hotmail.com

Name
    Rob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

slid a 180sx for the first time a few weeks back.
    for a basic setup they go well. comfy etc, would make a nice daily.
    i also like the fact that if ur trying to get into drift its so easy
    coilovers, lsd, castor, cradle bushes and ull be able to pinch 3rd coming round turn 6 at qr

but in saying that i got back in the 86 and it felt like home.
    86>s13

http://shirtstuckedin.com/
    my corolla
    Bosman Wholesale Tyres
    3274 5374 - Roy

i own currently 2 of each. one light modded ae86 (basic jdm 4age with jdm front coilovers and rear setup) and one highly modded (forged 4age, s13 front sway bars, full cage, 2 way lsd, all the other bullshit as well) one stockish 180sx (sr20det, hks front mount, hks exhaust from dump, trust suspension, blitz intake) modded 180sx (rb20det t04e garret, external wastegate, exhaust, fmic, half cage, coilovers, adj arms and camber tops etc all that gear)

as for daily i would definitely take the stockish 180sx even thou its a bit more on the fuel jus over more comfortable drive. petrol is not that bad on the 180s jus keep your right foot light. running costs are always goin to be more in a 180s then a 86. other then that u got to decide wat you want to do with the car whether you want a quick car and a bit more expensive or something fun and cheap.

Name
    Aaron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I had the chance to buy a dirt cheap 180sx that was mint for 4k but I passed on the offer and decided to keep my ae86 instead. And I don't regret my choice for a second. I mean, stock for stock a 180sx kills an ae86 in everything. But it's not hard to get an AE86 handling as well as a 180sx and for power, well I've got as much power as a stock ca18det but my car is a quarter of a ton lighter too. Stock Silvia brakes are shit so everyone does the gtr conversion and 5 stud too. At the end of the day one is marginally better than the other but when you intend to modify them you can close the playing field pretty easily.
    As for sliding you don't have to be as alert or on the ball in a 180sx, everything happens slower, transitions happen slower, it kicks out slower, they're a really good car to slide because they're just so predictable. The ae86 on the other hand requires you keep your wits about you and you have to think a few steps ahead or else you'll just loop it, that seems more fun to me, something a bit challenging
    For a daily I'd prefer the ae86, you can hammer it everywhere and not bring attention to yourself. Do the same in a 180 and you'll be bringing in defect notice after defect notice and no one likes that

Ive had 2 86's, a 7, a TE72 and now an R32. I will admit I do prefere the comforts of the 32 more, but I much prefere the styling of old Toyota's. I say give it a whirl with the 180. You can always change back!

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quoted for truth - got rbt'd in the 71 one night, chirped and skipped onto the road because of the locker and noone looked twice!

I also love that darty "drop your gaurd and I will spit you into the fence posts" feel of a short wheelbase car, compared to the genlter response of an s13

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast