Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal something is wrong with the running of my engine

Name
    Alex
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like the timing is waaaay off. Just for an example with the exact same symptoms:
    Put in a fresh 5k, cranking over and backfiring out of the carbie but won't start. Took out dizzy and rotated 180 degrees, started first turn over.

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah, am gunna try this wen i get home, pretty sure thats all it can be, it has everything to go its just not, so thats all i can put it down to, cheers man

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yep, i also reckon dizzy is out 180. I did exactly the same thing.

Also, cold-start injector isn't necessary for the car to run ... especially in brissy. (Not saying you shouldn't plug it in, i'm just saying it's definitely not the cause of your problems).

EDIT: Oh, and just taking a shot in the dark here, but i'd say that one leftover yellow plug will be your diagnostic plug to check for error codes/set ignition timing
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Tried spinning the dizzy and still nothing lol. Gunna keep trying to spin it small amount at a time.

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

** You may know all this already, so please don't take offence. At the least, it might help someone who has a similar problem in the future **

I would take your dizzy out, and check cam timing THEN ignition timing. You have fuel and spark, so it's fairly certain to be timing of some variety.

Make sure your timing belt hasn't skipped a tooth or ten.

And then make sure you can see the marking on the cam through the oil filler cap before you put the dizzy back in. If you can't see it, then you need to spin the crank another 360 degrees .. or you've done something wrong

4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Both the marks on the cams line up fine and wen u look through the filler cap u can see the dent on the cam. And wen I put the dizzy back in, the mark on the spin shaft with the teeth on it lines up with the mark on the dizzy. That's if that's how it's done lol. And still just wines over. I check spark agen and it does. And is back fires a little bit every now and then so I assume it's burning fuel lol. Anyone in this area wanna try and check it out. Car is located a crestmead.

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If the cam angle sensor on the dizzy was rooted would it still hav a spark??? Should try a Different dizzy. But couldn't be fucked now Hahah it's dark out.

Name
    Christon
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hey i got a smallport 16v and I blocked the cold start valve but i kept blowing out the pipe that i used to block the cold start in the first place for some wierd reason. i replaced it with a bolt recently and it fixed the problem i had a regular idle again but after a bit of a "spirited drive" the idle stays at around 4,500. i recently changed the intake manifold gasket and i tried spraying wd40 to find any leaks no luck so far adam from HR asked me to check the butterfly on my thorttle body best lead so far but it didnt do anything when i pressed on it and if i put my hand over the throttle body to cover it it stalls. Idle screw is fully closed and coldstart valve is fully closed. any suggestion would be tops cheers

oh and also sometimes in the morning the car idles normal and stuff but once i go for a lil bit of a drive and it warms up Booom high idle thing pulls itself along its like bodgy cruise control =[
    1983 adm Levin 4ac =[
    1984 adm levin smallport 4age 16v
    1984 engineered ae71 2 door panno with bigport 16v =]

spare 86 bigport chillin at the mrs house lol

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Car model: ke70

Engine type: 16v smallport 4AGE

Problem: pulled the bottom timing cover off my smallport 4AGE and noticed that where the timing belt tensioner bolts onto the oil pump housing(?), theres a hairline crack which seems to me like it warrants a replacement. After skimming over the procedure in the factory manual, it says that i should remove the oil sump before proceeding to remove the oil pump housing. My question is, is it possible to just remove the oil pump and then gasketgoo all around the sump and slot it back in like a puzzle piece??

@ haveaparty: hey mate, had pretty much the same symptoms you describe when i was trying to get my 4age started. I was getting fuel, spark, pulse, dizzy was set right and it cranked but no start. All the timing marks lined up including on the cam gears. What we ignorantly missed were the knock pins in the cam gears. There are 2 slots directly opposite eachother on each camgear so you might have to look carefully to see where the actual knock-pin of the camshaft is. At TDC the knockpins should be roughly at 12oclock on the intake cam and 5oclock on the exhaust cam. My knockpins were at 12 and 12, so the exhaust cam was 180degrees out. Pulled the timing belt off, flipped the cam gear, realigned the cam, reinstall timing belt and it started first go lol
    Last edited by crunchie; 6th February 2011 at 05:41 PM.

Name
    kiall
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

car model: ae86

engine type: 4age silvertop

problem: i only got the engine running the other day and its not making power under load, it idles fine, but when driving if i put my foot down more than a quarter it starts to miss and as im gaining revs i need to back off the throttle or it does the same thing so by the time it gets to 4500 rpm my foot is only just on the throttle and i cant get anymore revs,
    im thinking its a mixture problem i screwed the AFM in a few turns and it made it marginally better but it still hunts above 3500 also i played around with the TPS and got that as good as possible could it need thicker fuel lines or similar?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast