Name
    Timmy D
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default tube notcher

hey guys

looking at getting a tube notcher, any advice on what to go with?

iv never used one so not to sure what to look out for.

cheers
    JJ
    "my mind demands side pipes out of hear, now to command my hands to make them"

Name
    Corey
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hello
    Have a look at the heavy duty JD Squared one. Seems to be the most versitile.

Corey

Name
    Timmy D
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

got any links or where to search for them, stores ect?
    JJ
    "my mind demands side pipes out of hear, now to command my hands to make them"

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'd say he's refering to THE BEAST:

as the versatility is described as "Ultimate"

i however have absolutely zero input of my own. looks like fun though!

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Its not really that hard to make up a jig which fits into a drill press if you plan it out.

Also, we have one at work which is a die/tool that fits into the punch and notches it that way. Its easier to use, but youd need one for every size tube you want to use.

Name
    Simon
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Most inexpensive hole-saw style notchers will work well in notching all types of tubing, although, the difference does come in the versiltity, type of shaft bearings and mounting alternatives. A standard notcher (hole saw style) will set you back anywhere around the $200 mark, none include hole saws by the way (extra $30 odd for 1 3/4 inch or 44.5mm, cams approved diameter for primary structured cages). This will enable you to notch round tube (some models square as well) any where from 45-65 degrees of angle in straight tube only. There is a guy in the u.s who has made an adapter for these to enable notching on a bend.
    The next step up is mainly in quality and longevity of tool life. These notchers look very similar but have multiple needle bearing shaft blocks, square and round tube clamp holder which forces a bracket down to clamp the tube instead of a bolt, which damages the tube, and will always notch upwards of around 60-65 degrees. E.g Speedwerx notcher. These will set you back nearly double but will last a long time, in hobbiest use probably forever!
    Next you head into the top of the range versions of the holesaw style notcher which will do all of the above along with notching on bends and 180 degree reverse notches for those super shallow notches where the shaft holding the hole saw bottoms out before the cut finishes. E.g The beast from J.D square USA and various independant items advertised on youtube. Expect $600+
    Wont go into linisher style notchers as they usually start in the $2000+ bracket.
    Links, um JD Squared website and Speedwerx here in Aus aslo have there own website, for the Cheapie but ok for hobby stuff Hare & Forbes Machinary all over Aus.

Banned
    Name
    Ella
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

The jd2 notchmaster is a good solid notcher option and worth for your money.