Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Reverting from S13 suspension => AE86 suspension

hey guys,
    i will be picking up a ke in a few days with an S13 front end conversion consisting of the following:

- HSD 2 way adjustable coilovers w/ 8kg springs
    - R31 LCA's
    - S13 Cambertops
    - CA18DE Brakes
    - S13 hubs
    - Stock Master Cylinder
    - Stock lines

now i've done my best to search for every available piece of information about this conversion but still do need some things cleared up. the ke is predominantly going to by my daily and as such the original plan was to get softer spring rates to manage our roads a bit better. After reading through the "s13 coilovers into 86/*e7*" thread on AE86DC I have decided that I will also revert back to an ae86 setup.
    I understand that I will need an unmodified xmember since the mounting holes were drilled bigger to fit the R31 LCA. I will have one in my possession so this won't be an issue. The Strut top mounting holes however were drilled larger to fit the S13 cambertops. As far as i understand, a problem I will encounter is the fact that AE86 cambertops will not fit to the strut top properly? is this correct? If so, is there a way around this?
    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers
    Last edited by crunchie; 2nd January 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

man thats a whole lot of fucking around for next to no gain imo.

i know a lot of poeple will tell you how it fucks the stearing blah blah blah but unless you are running 10/10ths everywhere, its more than acceptable.

Just dont go stupid on offset with your wheels, and you will keep the front driveable. With the 31 lca in there your track is only 10 or so mm over the standard anyways.

I have a car that runs almost exactly the same as above, and a car with all 86 stuff.

Fwiw i prefer the s13 in everything bar full lock where it tightens a little bit. The 86 MIGHT be nicer if i werent running -6 wheels as this has increased the scrub radius to a point beyond my other car.

But if you have to do it, just modify a setup to run the current s13 camber tops on 86 struts.
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

^^^^^werd. wayyy to much work to change it back. put on some sr20det brakes and you'l be laughing.
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for this fantapants. Always good to hear the opinion from someone with both setups to compare.
    In regards to how it fks with the steering, it's more one of my lesser concerns as I've read these issues can be overcome with certain mods anyway. The main attraction towards the ae86 setup for me was the availability of diy coilover sleeves and short stroke shocks. Meaning i could replace inserts with ease, have access to multiple spring combinations, cheaper overall cost, etc.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if my s13 coilovers were to crap themselves, i would have to pay a bit of coin to get new coilovers altogether or get them rebuilt (if even possible). From what I've briefly read s13 struts can't be cut down the same way? Is this true.

Using the s13 cambertops on ae86 struts was something I was considering since it obviously works the other way round. Does this have any negative effects on the suspension?

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

if your hsd shits itself, replacement units are cheap enough anyways.

or someone here did the following.

standard s13 struts, cut and coilovered the same way 86 ones are done with trd inserts.

worked a treat.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

very interesting! couldnt find anything online about it, prob have to look harder i suppose.

another reason why i decided that i wanted to revert back to the ae86 is that i plan on reshelling at some later stage into an adm sprinter when funds allow. Could someone confirm that s13 camber tops will work fine on ae86 struts without any issues? Would be less of a hassle changing just the camber tops than the whole front end.

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

it went the other way on mine so i guess it should be good... at worst you would have to have a custom bush spun up...
    06/07/2011

Name
    Pete
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the person who cut and shut their S13 struts (like 86 coilovers) was a bit stubborn. its not really necessary and too hard for minimal gain.

i would keep the setup you have and go to a 6kg spring on the front and wind the damper all the way soft. i daily drove my 86 with the same setup (before i moved to 8kg) and it went great. i would recommend getting an S13 master cylinder as well. i have one if you want it, and the lines can be run to suit. it'll make the brakes more solid and reliable.

HSD inserts are cheap (as cheap, IF NOT cheaper than 86 specific inserts (TRD, tokico etc). once setup its a great setup. i've used a similar setup in 6+ customers cars.

and yes, HSD 13 tops will fit most 86 inserts. as long as you run the top spacers to clear the top collar it'll be fine.

BUT. if you have your heart set on changing back. the way around the crossmember issue would be to put the bolt through with the 86 LCA backwards (small side first) and tack weld a washer to the other side to suit the 86 bolt. its M12 i think.

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

a bit stubborn.... surely not
    06/07/2011

Name
    Pete
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hahahah ok, so stubborn was a bit of an understatement.