Thread: V8 Drift Build

Name
    Cameron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default V8 Drift Build

After buying a GZE powered AE86 and generally disliking some of the workmanship i have decided that ill build the car how i want to.

First off I was looking at building up a 7AGTE 20v but after a bit of research the cost of a lot of custom work for the internals it was going to be rather expensive. It would have also been very stressed at full load and i wanted to make a track car that i can pull out of the shed and not worry about what ill need to fix before next weeks track meet.

After going to Drift Attack at Winton raceway and looking at Lloyd and Brads KE70 my father and i decided on going the rout of unstressed power of a V8 that would also offer low down response with high end power as well as that awesome note that comes with it.

So far I have sourced 2 early model 1UZ-FE engines from SC400's both had rear sumps, i managed to trade these for a front sump as well as a few other bits and pieces i was missing. the front sump allows the engine to sit snugly near the firewall while clearing the K frame that happens to have a nice shape very well suited to the V8 sump (good old Toyota interchangeability). Later on i may go for the later VVTi model but for now I'm happy working with the standard 1UZ with after market ECU and a tune. People will ask about the weighting of the car, turns out the 1UZ is only 17kg heavier than my old GZE with a fiber glass bonnet i think ill be back around the same balance.

The gearbox i have chosen was the R154 as a lot of people running w5* boxes behind worked 1UZ's seem to brake them but nobody with the R series have complained of churning through boxes ever few meets. Bell housing is from A1 Turbos in NZ as is the flywheel and clutch setup. For the diff i have a F series out of a tarago with a 4.3 ratio, unsure if this ratio will suit or if ill have to change but ill get the engine in and running before i bother with that. i have also got some equal 4 link boxes coming my way soon too

For brakes i have got a 2x front as well as 4x rear R33 GTS-T calipers these do fit inside 15" rims IF the have the back spacing. I cant stress this enough, every one told me they wont fit because of the disk (300mm) and caliper being to large but its the back spacing of the wheel that dose it. The rears will have a twin caliper setup allowing for a set to be used purely for hydro handbrake. The hand brake i have got from a an old yellow s13 that Cat (Drift Cat) competed in, this set up is boosted meaning that i wont be reefing the lever to no avail.

Right now the car is striped out and ready to start fabricating, the current list of things needed to be fabricated is engine/box mounting, fuel cell, full cage and re shaping the rear guards to fit flairs.

The fiddly things i have found with the engine swap are the pedals, there is no room for a pedal box as the steering column is too fat to fit pedals around and the under floor mount ups wont give you much change from 5k

Brake Booster: the booster has to go, its in the way of the drivers side bank of the engine and that just wont do after getting a massive quote for a professional workshop to fix this i poured through many a catalog till i found what i was after. Tilton make up brake master housings (600 series pedal assemblies, namely the 72650) that with a very simple bracket should bolt up to the original pedal through the firewall and allow for engine clearance, as well as full adjustment from inside the cabin by using the balance bar and remote adjuster.

Clutch: the clutch cant go through the firewall for the same reason as the brakes had to be moded...there is engine there now. So again i have been trolling around to find a solution and i think the easiest way to make this work is to use a AP Racing reverse type master cylinder. Most masters have the plunger at the front of the bore and as you push it creates pressure but the AP master is actuated with a pulling motion allowing me to locate it under the dash again using the stock pedal assembly, with the reservoir remote mounted in the engine bay this should solve my issue.

the only other issue with engine install is the steering not allowing the standard exhaust manifold to be used, easy fix is get some custom manifolds made, down side is that money out of the budget...

The due date for this build is 2 months so fingers crossed that this works out!

I will be getting some pics up once any real work starts but for now you guys will just have to use your imagination, no matter how fried it is from game boxes and Mtv.

Name
    Cameron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Oh and gratz to anyone who actually read the massive block of text and that didn't just scroll up and down for pics and leave.

Gunner

Cool dude, now hurry up and do it

Name
    Phuoc
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

^^ amen
    Pick up Sydney
    Pics can be sent by phone
    Emails ignored
    Texts ignored
    Private numbers ignored
    Wankers abused

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

nice.
    will it require a new tunnel?

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

oh and get some octas (?)

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ITBs?
    4K > 5K > Worked 5K > 4AGE > 146RWKW 4AGTE > 210KW SR
    Alex's 4AGTE KE70
    Rest In Peace Old Faithful Corolla-Taken Too Soon 2006-2013...
    Or so was thought...
    Now with a new lease on life will be back bigger and better!

Name
    Trevor
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Pm sent, also was considering the 1uz into my
    Levin keen to see how this turns out

Name
    Cameron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

The tunnel will need to be modified but im not sure if ill be able to just mod it or if it will be a whole new tunnel job, had a look in the wreckers the other day for a tunnel big enough that i could just graft in, as it would have all the factory looking bracing i think that would be good from an aesthetics point of view, but no real luck though it was absolutely pouring with rain so i gave up fairly fast.

octas? I know octus is a first gen transformer but octas im not sure what your asking...

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

quads.... but two of them.....
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast