Thread: Weld on coilover strut questions

Name
    Dogan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Weld on coilover strut questions

Hey guys, I'm about to start cutting my struts to convert them to coilovers. but I've got some questions before i start butchering things!

I've got celica st185 agx shocks that are going to be used in my ae86 struts.
    Because the body length of the celica shock is 332mm and the standard ae86 shocks body length is 402mm, a difference of 70mm. If I cut 40 mm off the casing Il need to place a 30mm spacer in the bottom of the strut? Is that right?

What can be used to make a spacer?
    Also where abouts do I weld the coilover sleeve?

I have searched and in most of the threads I've read there are people who have used the spacer ontop of the shock and others put the spacer underneath. Why do people do them ontop or beneath?

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

are you sure it's not 60mm difference?

How much gap are you going to have from the top of your tyre to the adge of the gaurd? or ground to sub-frame behind the front wheel?

Weld the collar on so it's just off the very end of the strut
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

the only thread you need.

Name
    Dogan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Doesnt the amount i cut depend on the difference in the length of the 2 shocks bodies? standard being 402mm, celica agx being 332mm. 402-332=70?
    From what ive read, once 40mm is cut, the gap between the guard and the tyre will be 40mm less? that leaves a small gap between the tyre and the guard if any gap at all.

should the spacer be a snug fit to the edge of the strut? or should it fill the inner middle bit?

thanks for that thread!

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Think about it this way, the amount you cut from the strut tube has nothing to do with the lowering of your car. That's determined by where you weld the adjustable sleeve to the struts and where you set the spring perches and the height of the springs.

Are you measuring down the middle of the struts? You know there's a taper down there right? Maybe that's why you have the 10mm extra on top of the 60mm everyone's saying is the difference.

Now, the cartridge sits on the taper at the bottom of the strut. Maybe that's what your spacer should look like? If you were really picky you'd make the cartridge sit on all the lower surfaces being the outside, the inside and the raised ring. I just used a bit of tube on the outside to space my AGX's.

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

reading that thread he used ra60 struts. i have some of them. does anyone know where i can buy those sleeve kits for the ra60 struts

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

thats completely wrong, if this then we wouldn't have to bother with shorter body lengths on our inserts. I worked out that the body length should be shortened 2/3 of the distance that the car is lowered from the original height- not the stock sagged height. This is so the valve body inside the damper is in the middle where it works at an ideal and even rate in both directions. When the valve body goes up one end it is meant to become less linear in response and become harder, or so some companies claim. Can also keep springs captive but this is a bonus only as it can be achieved with helper springs alone.

H8CHIR6KU: RA60 struts as far as I know are just a 51mm diameter like all other toyota, well except ke70. Wtach out of geometery issues with the ra60 struts, PM me for more on that.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Dogan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I'll chuck the shocks in and measure it tonight.
    If the spacer sits on the outer bit like yours is skylar, does it have to be minus the tapered bit in length?

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

as long as the shock tightens down you should be right.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Dogan said this:
    "From what ive read, once 40mm is cut, the gap between the guard and the tyre will be 40mm less? that leaves a small gap between the tyre and the guard if any gap at all."

What I said was in regards to that. All I'm sayin' is that cutting the strut by X doesn't lower the car by X. You can lower the car by cutting the spring perches off and weld them back on lower down the strut, you haven't cut any of the strut but the car is lower. You could run 18" tall springs with the height adjustment wound all the way up while cutting 60mm out of the strut. Car doesn't get lower(assuming shock shaft had the length.)

People cut 40mm then run a spacer(s) to locate the piston where they want it in the cartridge. Say, car with 8kg springs, 40mm cut, the piston's about middle of stroke/about 1" either way from middle depending on where the sleeve is adjusted to at the time, would it really matter for 95% of people here not having the piston spot on in the middle cartridge? Most people would be happy enough that the car handles better than before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast