Australia

Default car wont start.... help!

Car - KE70

motor - CA18DET

use - slide

problem - wont start

occurs/started when - swapped engine

SOOO

The story is, i have converted my once auto, 4K powered KE70 to a manual CA18DET. im currently trying to get the startermotor to work but its being homo and wont.

I've checked alot of stuff so far:
    - Battery is charged
    - There is power to the ignition switch and when i fllick the key i can get 12v to the very top wire (black with white trace) so this tells me theres nothing wrong with the ignition switch.
    - The wires are all connected up in the engine bay to the starter solenoid etc. but theres no power to the solenoid or the wire when i flick the starter

One odd thing i've found is i've traced the wire that connects to the starter solenoid back into the cabin, and its dangling in freddy fresh air underneath the drivers side of the dash alongside one of the reverse switch wires...

Also i cant seem to find the starter relay????

Another odd thing i've noticed is that in the engine bay where the plug is that connects all the sensors, the starter wire and the reverse wire from the engine to the body, the starter solenoid wire is a thickish black wire with white trace, but on the body side of the plug it changes to a normal sized red wire. This is the same coloured wire that i've found underneath the dash.

Keep in mind I have actually stripped out everything from underneath the dash (heater/aircon/radio/vents/fan etc.) and in the process i may have accidentally pulled something out i wasnt supposed to :s

Now it WAS an auto, so i thought maybe that the neutral/park switch needed to be connected or something... but i'd only just realised this after pulling that wiring out and throwing it in the bin 6 months ago :s but i do remember where it plugged into and i've checked there and theres 5 terminals and one has power when the starter is flicked and i've tried to connect that on to all the other terminals with no luck, have also tried earthing it out and nothing happens just sparks.

I'm so stumped and i would really like it if i could find some way around this without having to hack up the original loom.

Cheers,
    Dillon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00505.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	16844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00504.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	16845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00503.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	16846  

Name
    Kaan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Not sure but I thought start wire might come from somewhere around battery. Also bridge the park neutral plug if u haven't already

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The park neutral shouldn't matter cause all that is controlled by the ecu. ( well so I recon ) And yes on a keto the starter wire comes out of the fuse box in the bay. I can check the colour of this in the morning. And that plug ur talking about doesn't do shit lol. On mine not one wire is plugged into it and it kicks over fine. And also u need to earth ur block to ur chassis, get thick cause wire and I usually go from ur block somewhere to somewhere in the engine bay. With out this ur whole car will hav 12v running through it and won't start.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

since when did a 4k have an ecu??????? and the ecu doesnt control the start neutral circuit. Its switched on the side of the transmission or gear shifter.

I just had a quick look at a ke70 wiring diagram, and the BLACK/WHITE trace wire, goes from the ignition switch THROUGH the neutral start switch and on to the starter.

are you sure that black/white wire connects to the red wire in that plug? what i mean is, if thats a 6 pin plug, it sorta looks like the black/white goes in the 'upper' row of terminals, where as the red wire looks as if it goes in the 'lower' half of the plug. so they dont actually connect.

where does the black/white wire from the steering column go, follow that under the dash and into the engine bay, thats your best bet for success.

i havent wired an auto car yet, all have been manual, BUT they have all had the starter wire coming out of the fuse box

Name
    Blake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Lolwat had I similar problem. Turns out he forgot to put an earth strap on the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Id explain more but there people on here I dont like, and i want to see this shit on thsir supposedly awesome masterfully built but stock power making 20v
    bursting ovaries since 92'

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

^^^^ this is wat I'm talking bout. Just make sure it's a thick wire and not a dodgy thin one.

Name
    Dillon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

It definetly has a nice big earth cable going from the engine to the chassis and from the gearbox to the chassis aswell.

and i'm 100% sure that the red wire connects to the black/white wire because i have contunuity between the starter solenoid and the wire dangling down under the dash..
    Can you maybe pinpoint exactly where the neutral switch is?? because i have no idea, i've lent my workshop manual to a mate and he lives like 2hrs away.

black/white cable from the ignition switch goes across to the passenger side down to where i unplugged the wiring that used to go to the auto shifter.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeah i wasnt sure if you had done a continuity test on that wire or not. good that you have.

there should have been a 4 pin plug near the shifter hole that would have had the starter wiring going to it. By bridging the 2 wires in this plug you essentially complete the loop that the switch would have if the car was in park.

the neutral park switch would have been on the base of the shifter assembly

Name
    Dillon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

cheers for all the help but i cracked the shits tonight and just wired up another relay and bypassed the lot...

lesson learnt, dont throw away wiring lol