Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic clutch release bearing for T50 gearbox

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I had a thought that is probably what you already had on your mind- people are reporting this hoe unit is flogging out seals and is suffering from scored pistons. Now the only thing that can cause pistons to score is if they are rubbing hard against each other. This leads me to think that it's due to side loading, aka incorrect mounting just as you where alluring to. So if a proper part was made as you suggested then I don't think it would fail anymore.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Jim
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thats exactly correct Sam. I dont want to bag a product unless I know for sure what the problem is. The Howe unit is a multifit unit which I am sure will work perfectly if mounted correctly. It is actually a well machined, nice looking unit. I did look into the quartermaster unit, that is a suggested replacement for the Howe unit in the states, but got no replies. It does look as thought the quartermaster unit mounts better also. To be completely honest, it will come down to price really, as both the SAAB and HOWE units look quite good.

1) The SAAB unit is cheaper initially, but requires the adaptor. Only for T50
    2) The HOWE unit is more expensive, doesnt need an adaptor as advertised, but really needs an adaptor made for reliabiltiy
    3) Another bonus for the HOWE unit, is it will fit the T50 and W5x series boxes

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hi Jimmy19650

I just came across your thread and was intresting reading. I myself was looking at going down the path you are with this type of release bearing setup.

I have read a thread on a guy who has done what you have done and he has it sorted although he had trouble also with the seal in the release bearing being damaged.
    This guy owns a full N2 racecar in NZ. He used an AP Racing setup at first with A Tilton pedal box arrangement. The AP Racing setup when hot he experienced clutch drag as the bearing started to fail (he rev's his engine to 10,000rpm) may have to do with vibration etc. I Believe that Titon themselves make a kit for the T50 gearbox as this is what he replaced it with. From what I could see the front seal carrier housing is different from your pics but im going to look further into it myself also and ask him where he sourced this kit.

Here is a link to his build with this setup hope it helps in some way.

Brad

Name
    Jim
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks Brad. I've used the tilton units on a few race cars, and really, for the huge cost, they aren't hugely better than OEM SAAB, or even the LS1 unit. However, 10000rpm bearing speeds will definitely cause problems with all but the very best units. I am a bit surprised with the interest in this project, so I will put a bit of effort in to get it as reliable as possible, and finished asap. As I have said quite a few times, my aim is reliability and reasonable costs. i have tried at least 6 different bearings and variations, but I seem to always hover back to the SAAB unit for the T50, and the HOWE for the W5x series. Better stop typing and continue testing.

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

No problems Jimmy. I would hate to think what the Tilton kit would cost. I thought maybe there was something you could see in the thread that could help since you have had experience with this type of system. Wasn't sure if it was an off the shelf item for a T50 or he had modified something to fit. Yeah 10,000 would cause alot of its own problems. Very intresting thread please keep up the good work and keep us informed with your findings.

Name
    Gareth
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Just thought i would check in to see how the SAAB adaptor is going? The motor (4age) will be going back in the car (ke10) in the next 2-3 weeks and im really hoping to avoid using the Tilton and HOWE units for issues around reliability and cost.

Need a test pilot for a finished unit Jimmy? If theres no chance of things being ready in the next few weeks let us know and i will look more closely at HOWE and Tilton.

Which HOWE bearing fits a T50, and which is recomended? i notice there is a few on the site, it looks like some float? seems dodgy

Would i be right in saying 300 series tilton fits? Can anyone give information as to which Tilton bearing setup will fit the T50? Earls were not very helpful when i rung them.

Name
    Jim
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Ok, I have made a few of these now. I have one being tested by a member on his car, once I sort out any problems and make any mods, I will let you know.

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Looking forward to the results Jimmy, hope it works out well. Keep us informed of the progress and I mite hit you up for a kit if it all works out later...Lol.

Name
    Jim
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Finally finished this project. Made a few mods since last time. Only tested on standard type pressure plate though. All good.

This picture shows the release bearing assembly fitted into the bellhousing. The hydraulic lines can either be routed through holes in the top of the bellhousing or through existing holes in the bellhousing.

Here's a picture through the clutch fork opening showing the release bearing sitting against pressure plate (dust cover not in place)

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hey Jimmy

Looks good mate, nice job. What could we expect the cost of this unit to be?

Brad

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast